Hello Guest

Transfercase popping out of 2x4H

• 7 Replies

Offline zuki1018

Transfercase popping out of 2x4H
« on: June 13, 2012, 05:09:33 AM »
I recently rebuilt my sami case along with adding the TT stick. I have never had it pop out of gear until after this. It only does it under hard acceleration when Tom's are climbing near 5k. My boost is at 8psi. Lowering boost seems to correct the problem.

I tried a strap and that didn't help. Then I tried holding the shifter to see if I could feel what was going on. The only difference when holding it was that it seemed to stay in gear but ...sort of miss a tooth so to speak. As opposed to fully falling out and having to pull over and put it back in gear.

Any direction to start looking?

Offline zuki1018

Re: Transfercase popping out of 2x4H
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:07:19 AM »
...little more reading and I will start with my shifter and body clearance.  This seems the most likely case since I have over 100% more torque than factory. My shifter is pretty close to the sheet metal under no load. The case is probably twisting up compressing the rubber bushings to some degree (which are made for less torque) and just leveraging itself out of gear.

Offline ecoast

• You tube my space, and I'll google your yahoo
    • East Coast Canvas
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:50:25 AM »
Did you do a twin stick kit?

if so, there is a left and right; the little ball on the end of the shifters is ever so slightly different, and if you have them reversed, or swapped left for right, the left rail in the t-case will not travel as far as it should and you will have this problem...
                                                What the hell you lookin' down here for?

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
Did you do a twin stick kit?

if so, there is a left and right; the little ball on the end of the shifters is ever so slightly different, and if you have them reversed, or swapped left for right, the left rail in the t-case will not travel as far as it should and you will have this problem...

No... I read a few too many posts about them popping out of gear ha oddly enough.  Sounds like some of those posts could have been due to install error as you mention.

I wish I had separate sticks at times.  Its a little confusing and a tad more work going through the motions with the single TT stick.  Either way, worth the 2L gain for the price (of either mod).  Thx for the input.

Offline ecoast

• You tube my space, and I'll google your yahoo
    • East Coast Canvas
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »
I have read also with regard to coming out of gear; but it seemed as if most was with TT kit moreso...

On one of my cases i had only removed the detent ball, and it never jumped out of gear.
The case I'm running now, I just did 6.5 w/ rockrat's twin sticks and HD front output, and again, no issues...

Not sure why it is happening when you add throttle; I'm sure you checked for tunnel clearance---have you run it w/o the t-case shift boot on it?

how about pulling the t-case shifter and watching to see if the rails are moving?

Try a call to trail Tough?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:17:56 AM by ecoast »
                                                What the hell you lookin' down here for?

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »
I was going to ask what a Tom was?      I sent you a  P.M.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
I did not see any mention of a different size Ball?  Which one is it?
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 04:46:39 AM »
Yeah I have plenty of wiggle room on the shifter/stick.  No boot has been on it.  And I cannot really see the t-fer or the stick moving around much at all.

I ran it again yesterday.  Its like the gears themselves are slipping out or coming disengaged.  When I run it hard in 2L or 4H it doesn't happen.