Hello Guest

Re gear Options 1994 Tracker

• 11 Replies

Offline Afschult

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re gear Options 1994 Tracker
« on: April 05, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »
I have a 1994 Geo Tracker and am going to install a 2 inch body lift and 2 inch coil lift soon. I plan on running 31's.
I am looking for the best way to bring my gearing back to "stock" or close to it. I would like my gear reduction to effect everything, HI and LO range.
I am aware that a 5.83 R and P may be the best option, or a 5.63. However I cannot find any. Anyone have any recommendations on finding some?
Anyone have any recommendations on a T case gear reduction if R and P is impossible to find?

Thanks!

Offline beagle..t

Re: Re gear Options 1994 Tracker
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:46:10 PM »
well what gears do you have now would help? cause there is 5:125, 5:38, the rare 5:63 which are found in 89 trackers that are carbed not efi, 4:30, 4:88 and 5:72
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline arced

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
RE: Re gear Options 1994 Tracker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:41:46 PM »

Anyone have any recommendations on a T case gear reduction if R and P is impossible to find?

Trail Tough T-Case Low Gears, & if you'll also scroll down, they also sell rebuilt T-Cases with low gears installed:

http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=81&category_id=46&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Offline Afschult

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 10:19:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I have the 5.12. I understand I can do a reduction in the T case, but I want it to be geared lower in 4HI and 2HI also. Being able to use 5th gear to go 65mph would be nice.
Maybe the 5.38 R and P would be enough to bring me back to that gearing? I can't seem to find any other R and P's other than the 5.12 that I currently have. 

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 06:36:55 PM »
Any increase in diff gearing helps.  You would definitely feel the difference with 5.38 gears... IF you could locate a set.  Very rare do we see them on the "for sale" list.  I don't recall seeing any of these within the last year or so.  They were only available on the 1991 4-door Sidekick with the 5 speed transmission.  When they did come up for sale, typically the asking price for them was in the $500-$600 range.

The only vendor I am aware of that sells some much deeper gear sets for our trucks today is a company called  4Xfourart which is located in Turkey.

http://4xfourart.com/Product/77/VITARA-585-RING---PINION-GEARS-FRONT.aspx

He offers new gears in both the 5.72 and 5.85 ratios.  The cost to purchase and get a pair of gears (front and back) from here to the United States is right around $1,000.  If you don't have the skills to set the new gears up, then you are looking at another $400-$500 to have a shop install them correctly for longevity and then add another $230 to the total cost if they installed the new gears with new bearings and seals, which I'm quite sure the shop would do when  installing new gears sets.

Be advised a couple of guys who have relatively recently bought gears from 4Xfourart have made our Zuk communities aware that they have experienced an issue with the gears they bought wearing very prematurely and the metal composition of the gears (too soft) is suspect.  Torgot MAY have a production problem that he is dealing with on a "batch" of the 5.72 gears.  I know he is aware of the problem.  I don't know what the outcome is as of right now.

Also to be fair, both complaints have been on the 5.72 gear sets.  The one guy I am aware of (up in Maine) that bought and installed the 4Xfourart 5.85 gears relatively recently, has not, to date, had any complaints of excessive wearing of his new gears.

IF you were to purchase a set from 4Xfourart, it sounds like you would want the 5.85 gears anyway.  Torgot (who owns the company) has a long history of off-roading and apparently his products, including his ring gears, are used by many off road enthusiasts in Europe and beyond.  He has been around for awhile, well over a decade I believe.  You don't stay in business for long if you are a poor business man or a crook.  Word travels fast.

So... 4Xfourart is a source for the gears you are describing you want.  As far as the price... IF you could locate a set of the used Suzuki 5.63 gears for sale, I'm pretty sure the owner would be asking around $1,000 for the pair.  That's the price I've seen on two sets that went up for sale QUITE awhile ago.  Again, that's IF you could find a set for sale.  I haven't seen a set for sale on this or any other zuk forum for well over a year now.  If it were me, I'd pay the $1,000 for new gears before spending that much for a set of used gears that probably would have over 150K miles on them.  5.63 gears would probably have 10 bolt s on the rear ring gear too.  Your rear diff on your truck probably has 12 bolts.  Someone can pipe up if I am wrong on this point.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:56:54 PM by nprecon »
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Offline arced

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 10:11:27 PM »

The one guy I am aware of (up in Maine) that bought and installed the 4Xfourart 5.85 gears relatively recently, has not, to date, had any complaints of excessive wearing of his new gears.

#1. Although "Downeaster" finally claimed that he was overall satisfied, he also initially said in Reply #12 in the email thread below that "Thank you guys so much.  I still plan to use these gears.  I just feel Turgut at 4xfourart.com has cheated me and may well do it to others as well."

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/technical-discussion-performance-modify/front-3rd-member-rebuild-issue's/msg289032

#2. "Downeaster" also said in Reply #18 in the email thread above that "well, i gave up and took the easier way out. LOL (i sent it to TRAIL TOUGH) they got it a few days ago and havent started on it as yet but i'll post info as i get it.", & notice that he lives in Machiasport, Maine, & remember that Trail Tough is in Medford, Oregon.

#3. Finally, "Downeaster" also said in Reply #3 in the email thread below that "If you were offroadn a bunch a 4:24 type transfer case gear set would be a super cheap help. And they work pretty good from what i've heard."

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/general-suzuki-forum/looking-for-gears-37225

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:14:11 PM by arced »

Offline arced

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 12:03:56 AM »

Offline nprecon

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »
That comment related to his gears having lapping paint on them upon receipt with a distinct imprint on them that could only have been made by having installed the gears in a diff at some time and at least turning them.

Downeaster also had issues installing the gears and as I recall, elected to send them to Brent at Trail Tough and have Trail Tough do the gear and locker set-ups for him.

As far as the wear subject, he has not mentioned any issues with his 5.85 gears to date.  That was the point of my comment between the 5.72 and 5.85 gears.

I won't speak poorly of 4Xfourart or Turgot until he has had the opportunity to comment on his findings and more is known/explained.

Offline arced

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 08:00:37 PM »

Downeaster also had issues installing the gears and as I recall, elected to send them to Brent at Trail Tough and have Trail Tough do the gear and locker set-ups for him.

The installation issues must've been very serious if he had to send them from Machiasport, Maine, to Trail Tough in Medford, Oregon.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:49:00 PM by arced »

Offline nprecon

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 09:01:08 PM »
He had problems pressing the pinion bearings onto the pinion shaft.  I think he was also concerned he might not get them set at correct depth and he surely didn't want to have thrown all his hard earned cash away by an error on his part.  He gave it a go, though.

I rebuilt an old diff using the same pinion and ring gear.  It takes patience and a few special tools.  However, in my case, since I was simply rebuilding the existing diff with the original old gears, setting the pinion depth again correctly was much easier.

Setting up a diff with brand new gears would be more complicated and probably would best be left to those whom have experience in setting up many differentials.  With practice comes both experience and confidence.  I probably would have had an experienced shop set up mine were I to buy new rings and pinions too.  That's just my opinion, though.

Offline arced

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 10:40:11 PM »

"Downeaster" also said in Reply #1 in the email thread below that "lastly i had to have both 3rd's setup by professionals (Trail Tough) as these "new" gears are nonstandard type setup and you WILL destroy them quickly if they arent setup properly."

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/general-suzuki-forum/looking-for-gears-37225
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:41:50 PM by arced »

Offline inchaos10

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 05:47:58 PM »
I have a set of 5.38 I will be putting up for sale here soon if you are interested