Hello Guest

How fast would a rebuilt .060" over 1.3L with 4.91 gears and 31" AT's be?

• 7 Replies

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
I am trying to decide whether to rebuild the stock engine or take a chance on a junkyard Tracker engine. I just replaced the  exhaust with a Tri Y header and full magnaflow system. I would be looking for a 1.6L 8V.

I just spent the past 3 weeks building my 87 Samurai http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/build-diaries-how-to-diy/saving-an-87-samurai-from-the-wrecker-budget-daily-driver-plus-trails-build/  and am dissapointed with the performance. I knew it wasnt a fast truck but I was told top speed was 65-70mph. I cant do better than 50 with any sort of an incline, downhill I top out around 60.

Will the 1.3L ever see 70mph uphill?
Whats a guy gotta do to earn some respect around here?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Uphill with 31" tires at 70?  You will probably be pushing it, but as with anything you can build a 1.3 to be a sick display of HP for it's displacement.

The issue is the displacement.  Yes, you can build a 80-90hp 1.3l, but at the same time that is the starting point for the 1.6l.  Or you can skip the 1.6 route and go straight for the 2.0 and 2.3 conversion.  Trail Tough just put together a 2.3l Sammy, and at 165hp that engine can outperform both.  The 2.0l Aerio in Project Trouble is a huge jump from the original 1.6l 8v. 
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
Thanks for the reply, although i have enjoyed powerfull vehicles in my past, I currently live in a state that is very quick with the reckless driving charge. I just want usable amounts of power here, just enough to comfortably travel at freeway speeds. Maybe im getting old. Im thinking 1.6l 8v with a corolla carb today, cheap and easy (i also live in a low pay state).

Offline ecoast

• You tube my space, and I'll google your yahoo
    • East Coast Canvas
use the FI if you are swapping
                                                What the hell you lookin' down here for?

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
use the FI if you are swapping

I am in contact with someone parting out a tracker with a blown headgasket 2 hrs north of me. She is offering the whole car for $500, if I can figure out a way to get it to my house and part it out I will go FI. Otherwise it is a question of money, getting all the FI components together and working seems like an extra $1000 over the price of a running longblock. Im already $1500 over buget and I still need to do something about my engine.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
I agree with ecoast.  FI, although bearing the "complicated & electrical" stigma, is a better choice in the long run.

A bit of personal experience:

My Samurai has had a Webered 1.6 8-valve in it and 30" BFG AT/KOs for 6-7 years now.  Early on I discovered that there was a noticable performance improvement but I still had to downshift a lot in the Interstate to keep up with traffic.

Several years ago, I installed 4.625 Tracker Ring & pinions.  The downshifting problem disappeared.

However:  the engine runs at 4000 RPM at 62 MPH (GPS verified).  It will do that all day but it makes me nervous.

with 31s, the RPMs will certainly drop a bit and your top speed will increase.

Run the numbers through this Gear Calculator http://www.acksfaq.com/gearcalc-01-04-07.php and see what happens.

I hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
Thanks. I've, decided to go with a 1.6 8V and a 1976 Corolla 2TC carb until I can afford the TBI.
Can you tell me if the procedure is the same for 2TC (1600cc) carb as the 1200 carb on your site?
Also, I have started a 1.6L 8V swap how to thread, I would raelly appreciate your input.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Thanks. I've, decided to go with a 1.6 8V and a 1976 Corolla 2TC carb until I can afford the TBI.
Can you tell me if the procedure is the same for 2TC (1600cc) carb as the 1200 carb on your site?
Also, I have started a 1.6L 8V swap how to thread, I would raelly appreciate your input.

Unfortunately, I am often confused for some sort of ASE-Certified mechanic with 35 years of shop experience.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I am simply a gatherer of information.

That said, I DID do my own 1.6 transplant.  I used the Calmini Adapter kit and installed a Weber DGAV 32/36 at the same time. Since I had already done a SPOA, I didn't have any problems with the oilpan.

About all I can suggest is that you grab a copy of Dice's '88 Samurai Wiring Diagram - ECM deleted - (in color!) at Ack's FAQ and take a good look at the Toyota Carb article - also at Ack's FAQ.  Both should give you some ideas on how to adapt the 2tc carb.

A search for 2TC at this site along with one at ZukiKrawlers.com and Zuwharrie.com might turn up some more information.

I hope that this helps!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:17:33 PM by ack »
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com