Hello Guest

Mighty Kong or get a full skid plate?

• 13 Replies

Offline crewcabrob

Mighty Kong or get a full skid plate?
« on: September 10, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
Hi all,

I would like some opinions on using just a Mighty Kong t-case mount/skid plate or getting a different t-case mount and a full skid plate for under my Sami.  I know there have to be some pros/cons to going each way and I really don't have a good feel for what is the best solution.

Mainly a daily driver with occaisional trips to Moab and colorado.  I will be running sliders, Shrockworks bumpers, 32" tires, 5+" lift and lower t-case gears. 

Any suggestions on what works well and how prone to damage the bottom of a built Samurai really is.

Thanks,

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
Re: Mighty Kong or get a full skid plate?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »

Neither one gets my vote... I prefer this:

http://www.zuksoffroad.com/17-bolt-Snatch-t-case-cradle-kit--Bare-Naked_p_181.html

If you break your case using this snatch you were trying to Get Er Done....
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »
Larry the cable guy lives about 3 miles from me.

Thanks for the heads up on that product.  So will this keep my t-case from getting damaged if I hi-center in Moab?

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline tonyman246

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 01:59:49 AM »
I built a full skid for my Tracker and loved it in the woods. But I made the mistake of using it at a mud run. It works fantastic if your running over logs and rocks but if you get mud under there it will ruin your day..
1991 Geo Tracker 33" super swampers + 4" lift + minor fender trimming + locker = unstoppable!

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 05:34:14 AM »
Thankfully, I'm not much of a mud guy.  I need it more for impacts with rocks or stumps.  I can see how one would really hold a lot of mud though.

Rob

Offline tuxblacray

• Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »
I will snap a couple of pics for you and you can be the judge... Fair enuff?
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
I really like the MKII version of the Kong.  I've been running something similar for over 5 years now without any problems, other than one rubber mount that snapped at Moab.  I like the stock types of rubber mounts; I think of them as fuses.
25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 06:28:10 AM »
  I like the stock types of rubber mounts; I think of them as fuses.

I like the way you think.
Whats a guy gotta do to earn some respect around here?

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 07:48:38 AM »
The tcase is very vulnerable, without some sort of added protection.  Personally, I run a tcase bucket on my samurais I take offroad (it protects the bottom of the tcase, doesn't have a large area that hangs low, to catch/snag on stuff and it ties the arms together, so it adds quite a bit of strength, IMO).
One of the guys I wheel with regularly runs a full skid.  So far, I have not been impressed.  There is a lot of area under there to hit on rocks, ledges, etc.  It also hangs down below the frame (because the tcase hangs down below the frame and you can only put the skid as high as the tcase, unless you put a few bends in the skid, to work around the tcase hanging down).
So my vote is bucket, kong, or zor snatch.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline tuxblacray

• Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 01:18:21 PM »
Okay... shoot me I have been busy but I did run out and snap some photos for ya of the Zor Snatch...  ;D

Looking toward the back -

Passenger side -

Rear to Front -

My Sammi -

Hope that helps you some...

Offline Reddog1

• 1991 EFI
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »
I see this Thread is getting a little old, but worth a post. I wear a belt, even when I wear suspenders. I have both, Mighty Kong t-case mount and TT full skid plate. I prefer the Kong to mount my tcase, and help reduce the likelihood of bent arms on the OEM tcase mount. I prefer not to bounce the tcase mount on the rocks and such. My full skid takes the beating, and does more for sliding over tall stuff, with less to hang up on underneath. I loose about an inch of clearance with the TT full skid, but I can live with that. If I could not, I would raise my Zuki another inch.

I do not chase every inch of ground clearance. It is a compromise, and you got to stop somewhere.  I also appreciate the added weight of the full skid on my DD. It helps the lower center of gravity, and contributes to better road manors.

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 4:1 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15 , 8"x 2-1/2" BS wheels Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker

Offline ecoast

• You tube my space, and I'll google your yahoo
    • East Coast Canvas
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »
I won the TT belly plate at an event, so I had been running that.

when I did the 6.5 gears (won at another event!), I fabbed a diy snatch; my 'Taint'  to tie the arms together and add t case attachment points. I plan to tie the taint into the skid plate with 2 rubber mounts...

much like wayne said; a little clearance is lost, but when you high center/hang up, you are able to slide either in the direction of travel, or back to get another line at it.

I can also see the advantage to another inch of clearance as sky has said.

driving style and terrain are two more considerations.

What the hell you lookin' down here for?

Offline Reddog1

• 1991 EFI
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »
ecoast, I am envious. I have never won squat.

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 4:1 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15 , 8"x 2-1/2" BS wheels Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »
Yeah, I've never won anything either.

I'm good for now with the Kong.  I might add something later but for now I have new mounts and the Kong to take care is the t-case.

Thanks everyone!

Rob