Hello Guest

Made my own shackles got more lift than planned

• 10 Replies

Offline Hardy

Made my own shackles got more lift than planned
« on: January 06, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »
I have an 1987 Samurai SE = Got tracker EFI = 2" exhaust, etc.  I wanted a little lift to get bigger tires under her. Was told that if shackles are 2" over you get 1" of lift. Made mine 3" over stock for a 1 1/2" of lift but got the full 3" of lift.  Front end is tight with little or no vertical travel. Thinking stabilizer bar???? any ideas.
Thanks

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Made my own shackles got more lift than planned
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:23:05 AM »
I have an 1987 Samurai SE = Got tracker EFI = 2" exhaust, etc.  I wanted a little lift to get bigger tires under her. Was told that if shackles are 2" over you get 1" of lift. Made mine 3" over stock for a 1 1/2" of lift but got the full 3" of lift.  Front end is tight with little or no vertical travel. Thinking stabilizer bar???? any ideas.
Thanks

Shocks topped out? If you made a shackle that was 3" over stock it's what, 6" total? Pull the sway bar off and chuck it.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Hardy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 05:38:30 AM »
Thanks Eric =will give it a try.

Offline Hardy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 03:23:08 PM »
removed stabilizer bar = with 3 inches of lift will I need to lenghtren steer arm???

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:58:35 AM »
removed stabilizer bar = with 3 inches of lift will I need to lenghtren steer arm???

Yeah, you have two things working against you there. In my opinion anything over 2" needs some steering correction. That plus by doing long shackles you've decreased your caster angle and made your rig more like a shopping cart vs. a big wheel. It will be more likely to dart around now and turn really quickly. That plus bump steer will begin to make the vehicle very un-fun to drive. If you are wanting to keep the shackles, I'd suggest axle perch shims and a drop pitman arm.

Anyone else have ideas?

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Hardy

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:44:43 PM »
Thanks Eric
Got bigger tires and it drives just as you said.  Will probably remake shackles with 2" over.  Will the after market springs soften the ride???  Been all over the mountain & love the low impact the Zukie leaves behind it.  Had a hell of a time just finding my way back as there was no tracks in the forest floor!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 08:18:29 AM »
What size tire did you get?

That'll help with my next recommendation.

:)

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline zukimoo

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:29:40 AM »
You need to make sure the front angles stay real close to the same as stock. Last summer I bolted on a front housing and messed up the front angles and it was crazy to drive.
85 SJ413K SUA, 30" BFG muds, 512's, lockers and DOHC soon...
81 LJ80, 800cc of pure power....Stock
06 Baja Buggy

Offline Hardy

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 06:42:16 PM »
got 235/75/r15 firestone destination M/T  29" X 9.5 " . Really like the spacing around the tires so I will probably keep the shackles & shim the axle perches and lenghten pitman arm. Can you buy the shims or will I have to mill my own??
Thanks

Offline my996duc1

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:53:50 AM »
you can buy axle shims -
Low Range (about 3/4 down the page)- http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/samsteering.htm
1987 Tintop / 1.6 16V ps & ac / 6.4 t-case Twisted TT / 4.30 R&P Hybrid rear / Double Tough axles / Shrockworks all around / ARB f&r / Mighty Kong & TT full skid / DS disconnect / CV shafts f & r / YJ missing links f & r / Petroworks tintop cage / 15 gal Tank / 31" x 12.50 Pro Comps

Offline Hardy

Calmini roll cage
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:27:19 PM »
Has anyone tried Calmini's full roll cage???? looks great in the catalog.