Hello Guest

sidekick shift problem

• 5 Replies

Offline chadstichter

• 98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-lock
sidekick shift problem
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:47:30 PM »
i have a 98 suzuki sidekick 1.6 5 speed and you can just pull the shifter out of gear it will just pop out of place and you have to try and get it back in. does anyone know why it is doing this.

thanks
98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-locker, 8000lb winch and synthetic rope
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ]
 l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)          l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)         l(|removethispart|@)

Offline talonxracer

Re: sidekick shift problem
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »
The shifter sheet is probably shot and the retainer cap itself could be damaged(my 98' had been when I got it)
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline chadstichter

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »
so i have to drop the trany to replace it im guessing
98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-locker, 8000lb winch and synthetic rope
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
 l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)          l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)         l(|removethispart|@)

Offline smife

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »
I've seen broken springs under the retainer cap cause this. You don't have to drop the tranny. Just take the shifter out. Take the plastic interior piece off, unbolt the boot. Pull the boot boot off and push down on the retainer cap and turn it counter-clock wise, I think......... pull the shifter out. There is a spring behind the retainer cap, make sure its not broken. The shifter sheet is a black plastic piece that will be down in the hole you took the shifter out of. If you need parts let me know. I should have what you need.....Chris

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »
There are two plastic pieces under the shift lever - a ring shaped seat (commonly called the shifter sheet) that the shift lever sits on and a bush that couples the ball on the tip of the shift lever to the shift rod in the transmission.

As mentioned by a previous poster - you can remove the shift lever and get access to these pieces - they should be available at a dealer for around $5 each - if your dealer can't supply, try SouthWest Suzuki motors.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline chadstichter

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:16:32 PM »
okay thanks everyone
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||