Hello Guest

Front Brake upgrade

• 22 Replies

Offline MEDEL514

• Ramstein, Germany
Front Brake upgrade
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
Need help with brake upgrade. I got a pair of rotors, calipers and brackets from a 1997 4-dr 4x4 Suzuki Vitara, and I want to put them on a 90 2-dr 4x4 Geo Tracker.  When I went to mount everything, the new vented rotor doesn't align properly to the bracket and rubs in the inner disc. Is there a part that I'm missing for this mod? 

The Vitara that I pulled them off has a 'J' vin number, so it came from Japan. It looks like the extra disc on the vented rotor (vs. the stock single disc, non-vented rotor) is what is out of center. Would I have to get a hub from a 4-dr Sidekic/Tracker/Vitara to center the disc to the bracket?
90' Tracker
- with some goodies

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: Front Brake upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »
I did the same mod to my 2 door, but I purchased new parts, calipers, and rotors and they bolted right on without a problem. I did get them for the same year but a 4 door, not that it matters. I think they should fit up to 98. Did you by chance pick a set off a   Sport model ? they are quirky and may be different.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline MEDEL514

• Ramstein, Germany
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »
I'm not sure if it was a sport, but it could be, it did have the fender flares and a little mnore plastics on it, and it was a 4 door too.   So you got 97 4 door brakes and they bolted right up?  ok, maybe it's just the brackest that are causing the problem.  I'll have to see if I can find brackets from a non-sport modle and see if it lines up.  fingers crossed!
90' Tracker
- with some goodies

Offline locjaw

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
vented brakes? im thinking you did get stuff off a 4 door sport. i dont recall the 4 door (standard)ever having a vented disc
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:20:56 PM »
I just picked up my 4dr brakes from NAPA, they indeed have vented rotors. Mine fit fine, the brackets are different between the 2dr's calipers and the 4dr caplipers, and the brakes are different part numbers for the sport.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:23:04 PM by talonxracer »
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »
If you pulled them from a 4-door with larger flares it was a Sport.  You need to get them from a standard 4-door.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 12:18:51 PM »
vented brakes? im thinking you did get stuff off a 4 door sport. i dont recall the 4 door (standard)ever having a vented disc

I thought that all 4-dr models had vented discs, I have some from a 1992 on my SWB.

I didn't have any trouble mounting the discs but you need to bend back or cut the shield on the rear or it will rub. You also need the LWB calipers because the discs are wider.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »
I just finished bleeding the new 4dr brakes and bedding the pads and rotors. WOW, what a difference! night and day better braking. I took a ride down the shortcut off the mtn, it is STEEP and the stockies would never have lasted before getting to the bottom, no problems whatsoever with these brakes!

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »
When I did my 4 door rotor and caliper swap everything bolted right on, no bending of backing plates or cutting of anything. If you really want to feel an improvement swap to discs in the back too, and swap to a 4 door master cylinder while your at it. Nice. ;)   
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
I used the four door drums in the rear of mine to maintain the brake balance. I had a disc conversion once but took it off because I couldn't get the park brake to work effectively.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline MEDEL514

• Ramstein, Germany
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 07:18:41 AM »
So the first set of calipers must have been from a Sport model.  I have a set of calipers from a non-sport model now and they fit great and align perfectly with the 4-door's ventilated rotors.  the braking still hasn't improved as much as i was hoping for, i think I'm going to get the 4-door's master cylinder and install it to match up to the front brakes now.  hopefully that will give me more aggressive stopping power. 

Is there another master cylinder that i can get that would be better than the OEM master cylinder from the 97 4-door?  maybe a ZR2 master Cylinder? 
90' Tracker
- with some goodies

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
Does your 2 door have a load balancing valve near the upper link in the rear? I had left it disconnected when I did my lift and the rears had very little braking action, I simply pulled the spring down and attached it to the frame so the rears get full braking pressure.

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »
Does your 2 door have a load balancing valve near the upper link in the rear? I had left it disconnected when I did my lift and the rears had very little braking action, I simply pulled the spring down and attached it to the frame so the rears get full braking pressure.

That sounds backwards to me!
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline MEDEL514

• Ramstein, Germany
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
yeah, I wouldn't want full breaking on the rear, that's just asking for an unexpected spin out!  Your rears should always be at 50% power of the fronts, just like how you're supposed to break on a motorcycle. 
90' Tracker
- with some goodies

Online fordem

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »
Your rears should always be at 50% power of the fronts, just like how you're supposed to break on a motorcycle. 

If that were true, why would so many manufacturers (Suzuki included) fit an expensive load sensing proportioning valve?  You can achieve 50% proportioning by simply selecting the appropriate sized master cylinder & wheel cylinders.

For optimum brake performance, the work done by the rear brakes will vary with the load in the vehicle, more load, more rear braking; less load, less rear braking - that's the reason a load sensing valve is fitted.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny