Hello Guest

Do I need a catalytic converter?

• 5 Replies

Offline bbutler455

• 1986 Samurai, 1.6L8V TBI, AC, headers, OME
Do I need a catalytic converter?
« on: October 24, 2012, 03:14:28 AM »
The weber and KN are installed...  now for the exhaust.  I have a Pace header and 2" thrush turbo muffler on order.  In Texas my 86 Samurai is emmissions exempt (over 24 years old).  Is there any ADVANTAGE to a 2" high-flow cat?  I would perfer to spare the expense.

Thanks,
Brock
Brock
1986 Samurai with Suzuki removable hardtop, 1.6 8V TBI, Vintage Air, OME springs, 235/75 tires

Offline talonxracer

Re: Do I need a catalytic converter?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:47:32 AM »
It depends upon a few factors, if you are carb'd, then there is no upside to having a cat. Even if you want to be green it doesnt help much at all because there is very, very limited input(or none) to adjust the A/F in real time to keep the cat operating correctly and happy.

If you are fuel injected it will help with low rpm torque production, and if you use a Car-Sound spun mettalic core cat, there will be no measureable restriction up top.  Also no cat can cause a fuel injected engine to throw a EGR code.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline jcowdin

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:31:02 AM »
I say get rid of it.  Just something else that can get plugged up and cause problems down the road.  No emissions to meet, no cat.  All the tree huggers may not like you but atleast you'll have a good sound out of that pipe.
The Price is Right!

Offline bbutler455

• 1986 Samurai, 1.6L8V TBI, AC, headers, OME
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:28:12 PM »
I say get rid of it.  Just something else that can get plugged up and cause problems down the road.  No emissions to meet, no cat.  All the tree huggers may not like you but atleast you'll have a good sound out of that pipe.

I love the simplicity of a four cylinder engine with a weber and header and not much else.  I have a 19" thrush turbo ordered.  Do you think that will be obnoxiously loud?  I like to hear my engine, just don't want to rattle the other RV neighbors.
Brock
1986 Samurai with Suzuki removable hardtop, 1.6 8V TBI, Vintage Air, OME springs, 235/75 tires

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:45:32 AM »
Drone637 had a Thrush Turbo w 2 1/4" exhaust on his SJ410 1.3 L, and it sounded great.  Quiet at low rpm and just throaty at higher rpm.  I have dual Cherry Bomb Turbo's on my 2.7 and they sound good at low rpms, but above 2,500 rpm (on the road) it is loud and brash.  Everyone close knows when I step on it.  Not that bad on freeway, unless I step on it and it shifts down.

We have flattened out a few Turbo mufflers off road, and they all sounded good with our 4 cylinders.  But mine are the first Cherry Bomb Turbo's we tried, and the first on the V6.  My neighbors know when I am testing it, or in a hurry (so do those 1/4 mile away).  I would stay away from them unless you want noise.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:02:57 AM »
I went with the Calmini 2" mandrel pipe with super turbo muffler on my kick. Nice and throaty and absolutely no ricer drone, there isnt anything I despise more than a ricer fartbox sounding vehicle, LOL
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....