Hello Guest

Rapid RPM Drop When Stopping???

• 6 Replies

Offline zacparry

Rapid RPM Drop When Stopping???
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:53:25 PM »
I bought an 88 Samurai this last weekend and it runs and drives great but when I am slowing to stop and I put in the clutch the RPMs drop rapidly to about 500 and the engine will almost die, recovering to the 800 RPM idle.  It does idle a little rough and the engine has 50k on it while the rest of the car has 150k on it.  I have not tinkered with the carb settings yet and would like to know what you guys think.  I plan on doing the cursory new owner tune-up - plugs, wires, cap, and rotor this weekend.

Offline sirmasterj

Re: Rapid RPM Drop When Stopping???
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:24:31 PM »
You know I have this same problem with my 99 tracker.  Mine is an automatic with a 2.0l  If you get an answer to your problem, could you pass it on to me.  When I slow to a stop, my idle drops to about 2-300 rpm and sits at that idle for about 10 secs then it rebounds back to the normal 8-900 range.  It makes the whole vehicle shake like crazy.  Please let me know if you get an answer on this.

Offline zacparry

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:43:48 AM »
You know I have this same problem with my 99 tracker.  Mine is an automatic with a 2.0l  If you get an answer to your problem, could you pass it on to me.  When I slow to a stop, my idle drops to about 2-300 rpm and sits at that idle for about 10 secs then it rebounds back to the normal 8-900 range.  It makes the whole vehicle shake like crazy.  Please let me know if you get an answer on this.

I don't know about your Tracker because it should have EFI.  Is your computer throwing any codes?  Does it start ok?  I had a camshaft position sensor go bad in another vehicle and it would idle like crap.  Otherwise it could be a bad throttle position or maybe some other sensor that I don't know about on that vehicle.

You may try to run a can of seafoam or Lucas injector cleaner though it just to see if that helps, but I would definitly check into it more to see if there is a more serious problem.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:40:55 AM »

Your problem is most likely different then the original post in this thread but both could try this as it may help the Samurai too. But on your Tracker, I bet ya that your EGR valve is gummed up and is sticking. They are quite easy to take off and clean out with some compressed air and a little brake cleaner.

Hopefully, that helps.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline toofaroffroad

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 05:14:50 PM »
Hi guys, I had this exact same problem. I got really good at holding the e-brake and keeping my foot on the gas at red lights. I finally got a new battery. my battery was old shitty and not holding a charge. Since I put the new battery in I have not had that problem. I'm not saying that putting as new battery in will fix your problem. Just telling you what happened with me. Good luck.

Offline eschneider

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »
If it only happens when you step on the brake.....

Vacuum leak through the brake booster?

Offline ft6crt

• The Abyss
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:19:55 PM »
If it only happens when you step on the brake.....

Vacuum leak through the brake booster?

Yeah.. what he said...