Hello Guest

Changing differential fluid. How? What type of fluid?

• 63 Replies

Online fordem

Re: Changing differential fluid. How? What type of fluid?
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8mm-10mm-Square-Drain-Fill-Plug-Sockets-Ford-Volvo-Saab-/360394693442?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item53e9329b42

This is where I got mine - the 10mm is what you need - KD Tools used to sell one, but they seem to have discontinued it.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2011, 05:23:03 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8mm-10mm-Square-Drain-Fill-Plug-Sockets-Ford-Volvo-Saab-/360394693442?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item53e9329b42

This is where I got mine - the 10mm is what you need - KD Tools used to sell one, but they seem to have discontinued it.

My auto parts store sells a 10mm allen head that is for a 3/8 ratchet,  wouldn't that work just fine???
SJ-413   mild modifications

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »

My auto parts store sells a 10mm allen head that is for a 3/8 ratchet,  wouldn't that work just fine???

the 10mm allen has 6 sides, the 10mm square pipe drive is 4 sided

Umm - it's not available where I am, but if it were, I would be using it - I've heard good things about it from the guys over at teamswift.net.

I put in some synchromesh this afternoon, I cant wait for a cold morning to see how it performs, LOL
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:08:49 PM by talonxracer »
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2011, 09:25:07 PM »
My fill plugs (front and rear) were nearly stripped out, and had to use Vise Grips to get the plugs out. Luickily, they did come off pretty easily. Going to go get a couple new fill plugs. Drain plugs were OK.

- Andy

This is, more often than not, caused by the use of a 3/8" square drive ratchet handle - rather than the correct 10mm square drive tool - 10mm adapters to fit your 3/8" ratchet are available at reasonable prices, they are used on Ford & Volvo, and if all else fails - try ebay.
Or by a hamfisted hammer mechanic. I've been using a 3/8ths drive ratchet in my Zuk plugs since I've owned it. There still fine.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 11:07:26 PM »

[/quote]
Or by a hamfisted hammer mechanic. I've been using a 3/8ths drive ratchet in my Zuk plugs since I've owned it. There still fine.
[/quote]

I would agree with you because the PO of my samurai tightened everything down as if no one would ever need to get things off, lol, when i went to use my 3/8s drive end on my fill plug it about stripped it out, if it gives me trouble after i get the square head end then i will heat it up a little with a torch (without heating it up too much not to get the oil too hot) and bang on it a few times and then try it again.

Does anyone recommend any products you can apply to fill and drain plugs as to not make them so hard to get back out, like an ANTI sieze lube?
SJ-413   mild modifications

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2011, 06:07:52 AM »
They are uber cheap at any parts store, get new plugs and then add a few wraps of teflon tape or liquid thread sealant, as they are a pipe plug thread and not machine threads. Pipe plugs are not meant to be tightened down with alot of torque. Because pipe threads are tapered they can act as wedges and crack cases very easily when over tightened, then they weep oil thru these minute cracks.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 06:43:39 AM »
My fill plugs (front and rear) were nearly stripped out, and had to use Vise Grips to get the plugs out. Luickily, they did come off pretty easily. Going to go get a couple new fill plugs. Drain plugs were OK.

- Andy

This is, more often than not, caused by the use of a 3/8" square drive ratchet handle - rather than the correct 10mm square drive tool - 10mm adapters to fit your 3/8" ratchet are available at reasonable prices, they are used on Ford & Volvo, and if all else fails - try ebay.

Me too.  And I think you'll find that 99% of zuk people use the 3/8" drive to remove the 10mm plugs.  3/8"=9.5250mm.
If you happen to run across one that is kinda messed up, or acts like it is going to round out, I have found that using an air impact gun on low setting will usually remove them pretty quickly without stripping (yes, I use the 3/8" square drive with that).
Then when I go to put them back in, I torque them to spec.  Ironically, it seems like most diff drain plugs are NOT tight enough and leak oil.  Seem like most people are afraid to tighten the drain plug too much. :-\
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Online fordem

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 07:04:35 AM »

Your car, your tools, your choice - 3/8" is 9.5mm, and most 3/8 square drive ratchets & extensions have rounded corners - when you put it into the recess it's a sloppy fit, and if a previous owner (or his hamfisted hammer mechanic) tightened the plug down, then using the wrong tool increases your chances of destroying the plug - see FinishTheGame's post.

Faced with a situation where I need to get the plug out NOW and the only tool available is a 3/8 ratchet, I'll use it - but - in the comfort of my drive-way when the right tool is available I won't.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2011, 06:47:20 AM »
I also ran into damaged/frozen tranny/diff plugs due to PO overwrenching with 3/8" drive (undersize) in 10mm plugs in my recently aquired 95 Tracker. My solution, after extensive search, was to purchase Snap-on Stock# PMM410A which is 3/8" drive and described as follows- Socket, Metric, Pipe Plug, External, 10mm. It is currently listed for $17.85 + S&H, pricey for a single item but, it is Made in USA. I have yet to try it out to see if it solves all my problems (it's a little cool in my "external" garage - carcover only), but I'm guardedly optimistic!   ???

Offline KJMac

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2011, 12:54:04 AM »
I'm currently running Redline synthetic GL-4 in my trans at 7.00 bucks a quart. It shifts nice and runs quiet but when it is cold it will be chunky or grind in 1-2 & 2-3 shifts.
Does NAPA carry penzoil?

Thanks!
Kj
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2011, 03:14:17 AM »

For the drain / fill plugs if they give you trouble coming out or starting chase the threads with a tap once removed. Then after you change your fluids use a thread anti-cease compound and you won't have any future troubles. Most auto part stores or hardware stores in the plumbing section carry anti-cease.
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2011, 05:56:44 AM »
I'm currently running Redline synthetic GL-4 in my trans at 7.00 bucks a quart. It shifts nice and runs quiet but when it is cold it will be chunky or grind in 1-2 & 2-3 shifts.
Does NAPA carry penzoil?

Thanks!
Kj

NAPA does carry the Pennzoil synchromesh

Offline megaton

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »
I have a stock 86 sammy and the only thing I see that resembles a transmission or transfer case filler plug has what looks like a well rounded 21 mm bolt head. Am I looking in the wrong place??? 

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »
NO, that is the right place.  At some point they switched plugs, be careful that you don't loose it as that plug has a different threading then the ones you can take out with a ratchet.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline megaton

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
Thanks Drone. There's no chance of losing them. I can't get them out.  ???