Hello Guest

Changing differential fluid. How? What type of fluid?

• 63 Replies

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: Changing differential fluid. How? What type of fluid?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 10:28:29 PM »
I hear good things about Royal Purple, but the price, ouch  :o

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Cobb

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
Ive had a bad experience with changing the oil in a used van. I used regular fluid as it was brown and smelled aweful. It went from shifting well to slipping. I late found out its best not to change hte fluid in a used auto tanny.

My project had mobile 1 in it. I think its quieter without it. I used havoline for the diffs and penzoil synchro mesh for the gear boxes.

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »
I just changed my dear oil for the first time. In the rear diff i used Lucas Synthetic SAE 75w-90.  Could i use this same lube in the trans and t-case?  I can't find anything on it that says "yellow friendly"........
SJ-413   mild modifications

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 03:34:29 AM »
GL4 is the safest for a Suzuki transmission.  You'll find markings on the container indicating what "GL" rating the product has.

Normal GL5 has been found to be harmful to the "yellow" or brass components in transmissions - specifically the scnchronisers.  Be sure to carefully examine the packaging for indications that the GL5 product is safe fore use in transmissions containing brass or "yellow" components.

To be safe, I would just use a GL4 lubricant.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 04:28:51 AM »
I tried a 75w-90 from napa that states it meets or exceeds GL4-GL5 and is supposedly yellow metal safe. It has worked fine during the warm months, but now with overnight temps driopping into the 30-low 40's at night the trans is showing it's ass! The gears all grind big time unless double clutched and rev matched(and still will crunch now and then) for the first half hour or so until nice and warmed up.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 07:56:13 AM »
Just changed front and rear diff fluids last two nights ago on my SX4. Also bought the pump from Harbor Freight (had to do the rear diff on my SX4, too).

My fill plugs (front and rear) were nearly stripped out, and had to use Vise Grips to get the plugs out. Luickily, they did come off pretty easily. Going to go get a couple new fill plugs. Drain plugs were OK.

- Andy
GO PREPARED! www.WARN.com
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/WARNfans
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/WarnIndustries

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »
GL4 is the safest for a Suzuki transmission.  You'll find markings on the container indicating what "GL" rating the product has.

Normal GL5 has been found to be harmful to the "yellow" or brass components in transmissions - specifically the scnchronisers.  Be sure to carefully examine the packaging for indications that the GL5 product is safe fore use in transmissions containing brass or "yellow" components.

This stuff claims that it exceeds GL4 and GL5

Online fordem

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 09:17:14 AM »

This stuff claims that it exceeds GL4 and GL5

If you're putting in a differential - fine - if you're putting in a transmission or a transfer case that contains brass synchos - then, if you don't see anything that says yellow metal friendly or syncho friendly etc. - use at your own risk.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »

If you're putting in a differential - fine - if you're putting in a transmission or a transfer case that contains brass synchos - then, if you don't see anything that says yellow metal friendly or syncho friendly etc. - use at your own risk.
[/quote]

Yes, thank you, will just avoid this.  Do you know a good brand that makes sythetic "yellow safe" lube for t-case and tranny?

Online fordem

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 07:33:34 AM »
I use Mobil1 full synth - it IS a GL-5, and you won't see anything about yellow metals on the label, however, a visit to their website should show something along the lines of safe for use with copper & it's alloys.

Of course - my earlier warning still stands - if YOU don't see anything about yellow metal friendly etc - use at YOUR own risk - I've been using it in the transmission of all my Suzukis for many years so far I'm happy with it - unfortunately - the Exxon-Mobil distribution network here was bought out and it's no longer available, so next time around I will have to use something else.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Online fordem

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 07:37:54 AM »
My fill plugs (front and rear) were nearly stripped out, and had to use Vise Grips to get the plugs out. Luickily, they did come off pretty easily. Going to go get a couple new fill plugs. Drain plugs were OK.

- Andy

This is, more often than not, caused by the use of a 3/8" square drive ratchet handle - rather than the correct 10mm square drive tool - 10mm adapters to fit your 3/8" ratchet are available at reasonable prices, they are used on Ford & Volvo, and if all else fails - try ebay.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »
Has anyone used Pennzoil Synchromesh for the trans? It is called and listed as a MTF and I had heard it was also GL4 compatible, but it only states it replaces a GM MTF on the bottle and doesnt specifically state it is GL4 compatible, though it does state it is synchro and yellow metal safe.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Online fordem

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »
Umm - it's not available where I am, but if it were, I would be using it - I've heard good things about it from the guys over at teamswift.net.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:39 AM »

- Andy

This is, more often than not, caused by the use of a 3/8" square drive ratchet handle - rather than the correct 10mm square drive tool - 10mm adapters to fit your 3/8" ratchet are available at reasonable prices, they are used on Ford & Volvo, and if all else fails - try ebay.

Good to know. I didn't know that. I'll be sure to pick one up. Thanks!

- Andy
GO PREPARED! www.WARN.com
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/WARNfans
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/WarnIndustries

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »

- Andy

Kudos to you.

I did not know that.