Hello Guest

broken key

• 2 Replies

broken key
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »
So i broke my key off in my ignition switch, I can still use the broken key to start because the other half is still in there..Is there and easy way to get the rest  of the key out or do I need to remove switch..how do I do that.. thanks Dan :(

Offline Capt

• LIFT IT ! .......Fat Chicks CAN'T JUMP !!
Re: broken key
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:53:45 AM »
Check a FSM (factory service manual) or google Ack's Faqs.

I think you can pull the lock cylinder out without tearing down the steering collum.

then you can push the broken part out with a stiff wire.  Most locks let you insert a paper clip into a hole in the cylinder face
and then reverse turn the key and pull the cylinder out.

CAPT

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
Re: broken key
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:33:28 AM »
You could try to put a dab of super glue on the key and sticking it in the ignition switch, to see if you can get the other half to stick to it, so you could pull it out.
You may be able to do the method that capt describes (I don't know, since I've never had to do it).

If neither of those methods work, you'll have to remove the ignition swith.  Which entails removing the steering column cover, the steering wheel, the multi-function switch (turn signal and headlight switch assembly).  Then you'll have to use a chisel and hammer to turn the round headed bolts that hold the key switch to the steering column and remove the switch assembly.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.