Hello Guest

XL-7 buildup for 32s

• 74 Replies

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
Re: XL-7 buildup for 32s
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 12:20:31 AM »
That shovel holder is neat. Any web address for ordering?

On the brake lines, thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

He also did a 3.5" body lift. Do you have any idea if that kit would work for XL-7? I that is either 5wd or FTS that sells that. But just wondering if you have heard or know anyone with a body lift on the XL-7?

Thanks again. ;D

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2004, 04:32:09 AM »
UPDATE: Been speaking with Rocky Road extensively about the 2" body lift they have. They have offered me a kit for me to try it on for size. I will be posting pics as soon as work begins.

Thanks Rocky Road and Glenn Wakefield. You guys are awesome.

On another note. I was checking out a Japanese 4x4 site and came across this. Thought you guys might like it.

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2004, 09:00:57 AM »
Cool, glad things are at least going forward. Are you going to be doing the step-by-step procedures? Once you get the kit, I'd like some detail for their steering spacer. That adapter under the master brake could be swapped for another to gain better length on the shaft, but by my quick measurements, were only talking about 1/4" length necessary for a 2" body lift. Although, I could see an adapter added to where the joints are.

I'd also look into cutting 4 spacers in half longitudinally (not across the circumference) for those center body mounts. Otherwise, you'll be tilting the body just to clear the spacer under the body stud.  Talk to a few of your Zuwharrie Sami buddies with a body lift. Samis have the body stud configuration.

As for that white XL7 with the 6" body lift, I hate it. I really don't get the look of getting real high with tires that don't match the size. Be better off trimming out the wheelwells.
Lenexa, KS

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2004, 09:10:57 AM »
Forgot, do you have the 7 seater or 5 seater? I don't think the rear ac lines are attached to the frame. Auto or manual?

Have you at all bent the middle rear body mount? It's right under the rear doors and the end hangs lower than the frame mount.
Lenexa, KS

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2004, 11:34:29 AM »
Yeah I like how it still seems to have stock clearance even with the huge height.  ;D

I believe everything should be order for the body lift. None of the studs are bent as far as I know. I counted 8 bolted mounts and 4 poly spacers. Sound right to you? I had the 4 in the middle 4 for the frame ends and then the spacers.

RRO supplies the extensions and new front brake lines as well. The normal kit comes only with one set of poly spacers but they are throwing in a second set for our application. Once I get into to it I will be working with a local guy to fabricate the brackets for the bumpers. Although in the end I won't need them as I am putting custom front and rear bumpers on once they are completed.

What were you talking about the master brake bracket?? You talking about for the Ebrake?

Also, 7 seater, automatic. Supposedly there should be no need to extend the shifters with the 2", although they said they can send the extensions if I like. Hmmm?../.?

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2004, 03:37:37 PM »
Here are a couple of pics to where the shaft of the XL7 has a point which could be lengthened.
The joints. Notice how close they are to the frame. There is nothing attached to the frame.

From under the dash. The shaft starts here from the steering wheel to the inner shaft through the firewall.

Rotating you can see the bolt holding the shaft in the adapter. In my Bronco for it's 2" body lift, an adapter went between them.

This is what I'm talking about being under the master brake cylinder. This little adapter mates 2 shafts together. When lifting the body off the frame, this adapter's position will rise 2" so the angle of the shafts will change. The length of the entire shaft assembly will need to grow as the lift is straight up. Somewhere there has to be compensation for the vertical lift, recall geometry???

From this view, you can see the adapter has room to relieve for space consideration. In my measurements of 2" bl, the down shaft will need to extend greater than 1/4", so compensation on the 2 shafts is possible. RR provides a spacer someplace in the shaft assembly.
Calmini did a custom 1-off bl for a Vitara for Yankee Tim. Without stating exactly where Calmini added a spacer, he led me to believe it was on the joint assembly.
Since the angle of the joint assembly is in an alignment to the r&p, I would think the point before the joints would be extended, basically adding length to the shafts to that point.

This is the passenger side rear mid mount. See how it could bend. That little metal bracket guard didn't do much work.

For body lift spacers, you'll need 8 spacers total (1 for each point), 4 long bolt/nut (for the frame ends), and 4 tube nuts (for the mid mounts - see

To add, since the wheelbase is so long, it would be best to place a spacer at the body point midway between the front and rear mid points. The floor has many supports and that would be a great place to keep tension on the floor.

Lenexa, KS

Offline joejoekuo

• 2004 XL_7
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2004, 12:55:51 AM »
That shovel holder is neat. Any web address for ordering?

On the brake lines, thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

He also did a 3.5" body lift. Do you have any idea if that kit would work for XL-7? I that is either 5wd or FTS that sells that. But just wondering if you have heard or know anyone with a body lift on the XL-7?

Thanks again. ;D

Link to FTS for shovel holder: http://www.fts4x4.com.tw/fts4x4/index.php3
Write a mail to ask them!
And body lift photo: GV body lift

Offline joejoekuo

• 2004 XL_7
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2004, 12:58:53 AM »
XL-7 body lift 2.5" and Calimini 2.5" lift kit. THe tire size is unknow!

Offline joejoekuo

• 2004 XL_7
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2004, 01:13:12 AM »
My internet friend(XL-7 long feet) just did the body lift two weeks ago. He just add 3" spacer and 4" for suspension. Tires are still 245/70/16 size. He did all the modifications at 5-Wheel store.  http://www.5wd.com.tw/p1.asp

Offline joejoekuo

• 2004 XL_7
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2004, 01:27:58 AM »
My friends went off-road. This is 5-wheel family tour for wild hot spring!

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2004, 02:50:57 AM »
Cool pics, I need to get to Taiwan....Thanks.

Any lessons learned from his work?

I notice he used the shock stub conversion on the rear shock. I've got a set and wasn't sure if it was necessary. Only concern I have is with the overall width of the shock body as the track arm mount on the axle is mighty close to it during droop on left side, compression of right side.

What did he do for the steering shafts?
Lenexa, KS

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2004, 02:57:32 AM »
My internet friend(XL-7 long feet) just did the body lift two weeks ago. He just add 3" spacer and 4" for suspension. Tires are still 245/70/16 size. He did all the modifications at 5-Wheel store.  http://www.5wd.com.tw/p1.asp

joejoekuo,
Do you know if they sell there 4" and 3"  as kits or is something like they only do in their shop?
Also I tried to find an email address for them but couldn't find it :-/ So that I could bug them instead of bugging you  ::)
George

« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 02:58:51 AM by blacknight »

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2004, 01:09:36 AM »
Joejoekuo,

Where the guy with GV get that front bumper? That thing is awesome looking . . .

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2004, 04:06:43 AM »
Nomaad, are you referring to this

The bumper has that Trail Ready design, but consider the smooth edges under the bumper as well as the angles of the plate to be a problem to use a hi-lift on.
Lenexa, KS

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2004, 05:16:54 AM »
Looks alot like a Trail Ready design heres their Jeep Lib. Makes me think that they made it fix to the GV. Just more to think about.