Hello Guest

very strange electrical problem

• 6 Replies

kennard04

very strange electrical problem
« on: October 12, 2007, 08:51:23 AM »
2001 XL-7, Plus edition, automatic, 96,000 miles, all stock.

Recently it has began a strange thing. I got in recently and the power door locks would not unlock all the doors. The dome light was off. When I turned the key on it started, the dome light came on and the radio was flashing "SYS" like it would it the battery were disconnected. It's done this 4 or 5 times. It always starts, but I have to reset the radio every time. Battery is new, as is battery cables. My wife was sitting in it recently and said she heard a strange buzzing noise coming from the center of the dash, behind the radio. Once it starts everything functions normally, and so far it has always started. SOmetimes it happens twice in a row, or it can go a week and not have this happen. Is there a main relay somewhere I need to replace ? Or what ?

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
Re: very strange electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 01:04:42 PM »
It sure sounds like a bad ground.  Did it only start *after* you replaced the battery and cables?
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

kennard04

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:10:25 AM »
It sure sounds like a bad ground.  Did it only start *after* you replaced the battery and cables?

it does sound like a bad ground. I checked the cables once, I will again. I replaced the battery and the cables almost a year ago.

It just seemed odd that all the accessories would not work, but it would always start right up. But thanks for the reply, I will go back over all the connections.

kennard04

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:41:29 AM »

good call beercheck, and thanks. After spending a while checking everything topsides I found the ground strap to the frame had loosened. Good on you mate, appreciate the reply !!

Now, one more if you don't mind. 4 spd auto w/OD. Going down the highway, OD light comes on and engine revs because the OD kicked itself off. I hit the button and it goes back in. 2 days, 30 minutes or 1 week later it does the same thing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:01:52 PM by kennard04 »

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 02:05:47 PM »
Now, one more if you don't mind. 4 spd auto w/OD. Going down the highway, OD light comes on and engine revs because the OD kicked itself off. I hit the button and it goes back in. 2 days, 30 minutes or 1 week later it does the same thing.

First guess on that would be the thumb switch itself is bad.  I can't remember if mine ('02) is a real on/off switch or just a momentary switch that trips a solenoid.  You can take the shifter off to take a look at it, but be very gentle when doing so (and reassembling); there's a little plastic piece that's terribly easy to break.  It sticks up from the tube and is pressed down when the shift lock thumb button is pressed.  If you accidentally bend it sideways, its snaps. 
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

kennard04

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:21:06 PM »

First guess on that would be the thumb switch itself is bad.  I can't remember if mine ('02) is a real on/off switch or just a momentary switch that trips a solenoid.  You can take the shifter off to take a look at it, but be very gentle when doing so (and reassembling); there's a little plastic piece that's terribly easy to break.  It sticks up from the tube and is pressed down when the shift lock thumb button is pressed.  If you accidentally bend it sideways, its snaps. 

you may, or may not believe this; I'm 6' 5" so I'm right between reaching over the shifter and comfortably reaching under to change the radio station. I have to twist my arm a jam it under the shifter. Thereby pressing the OD button with my forearm.  :o

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:09:29 PM »
you may, or may not believe this; I'm 6' 5" so I'm right between reaching over the shifter and comfortably reaching under to change the radio station. I have to twist my arm a jam it under the shifter. Thereby pressing the OD button with my forearm.  :o

So then, I guess the only way to fix the transmission is.....amputation?
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers