Hello Guest

Samurai as a daily driver?

• 14 Replies

Samurai as a daily driver?
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »
Hey guys well I'm thinking about getting a suzuki samurai or possibly a sidekick/tracker as a dd.
I drive 20 round trip a day to work and take it out off roading occasionally. I have an 04 Cobra as of now and would prefer to get one that is all ready decently built because otherwise I know I will dump a ton of money into it. How reliable are they?  Would it be a decent daily? 

Any info is appreciated.

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
Re: Samurai as a daily driver?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »

With a 20 mi round trip a Sammi would work for you. I drive mine less daily but prefer it over my Vitara because of what it is and how its built.

I would look for 1 that fits your own personal criteria as far as how tall and tire size. There are many directions to take in this area.

For sure I would look for look for 1 with a late model 1.6 8V or 16V.

Likewise I would look for a rust free ride.

If you know more of what you want then folks here will begin to chime in on directions to take.
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:27:56 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what I would want.  I just started looking into them more and will probably do quite a bit of research before I actaully decide what I want.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2997128085.html] [url]http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2997128085.html [/url]
Hopefully this link works, I'm thinking about something like this.  How would this work 20 miles a day.  I understand that it will be a rough ride and that I will have to smog it illegally.  But do you think it will be reliable as a daily driver?

Offline Godzuki84

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:13:01 PM »
I fixed the link for you :)

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2997128085.html

Now as far as the sami goes, I would go check it out, and take it to a mechanic that you trust and have them look it over and they will tell you if it will be a good daily or not.... perhaps even take a friend that is knowledgable with lifted 4x4s/samurais and he/she could look over the car to see if everything is legit
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:20:28 PM by Godzuki84 »
The little zuki that could

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
Ahahaha. That's funny.  I've been eyeing that Sammy as well! 

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:01:22 AM »
My thoughts are that anything that highly
modified is going to have concerns. Things you won't know about until it becomes a problem trying to get to work. It all depends on the skill and priorities of the builder/PO's. I found a virtually stock Sami in good condition, ensured the mechanicals and electrical were good and am modifying to my tastes needs slowly as I figure them out. I had to sort out a fuel issue by giving it a good tune up, cleaning out the carb, put in a new exhaust, incl. cat converter, and get it to pass CA smog. But I now use it daily for my 20-25 mile round trip commute. It rides a little rough, a lot according to my wife, but I don't mind much. It's on stock suspension and tire size, but I plan on doing the YJ spring conversion soon to hopefully give it a smoother ride. Oh I'm getting 24 mpg. Anyway I'd suggest a more stock ride and update to taste. My .02. Good luck.

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »
I'd fallow Rice's advice, It' solid.
 I can't get your link to work so I haven't seen the Zuke your talking about.
It sounds ( by rices description) like it is highly modified.
 That can be a problem if done wrong.
It's easy enough to tell if its a properly built rig...Drive it. Excluding lockers ( If it has them) It should basically drive as well as any stock Samurai you have ever driven.
If you have never driven a stock Zuke. Go look and drive a few stockies before you start looking at " trail ready Zukes".
 By doing this you will have a better understanding of how it should drive and handle, as well as what modifications have been done to the rig......Good luck and have fun........Boxcar...
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

Offline my996duc1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:12:49 AM »
This thing looks BEAT. The only thing "tricked" about this is finding the part of sheet metal that isn't dented.
Have you called and have any more detailed info on it ??
Not sure I would want to get something, in that condition, for a daily driver.
I would think, for a little bit more cash a person could get something in a lot better shape.
While we don't often have a need for minor things (such as wind shield wipers here in SoCal), when you do need them it will suck to not have them on your daily drive.

-

-

-

I might look/shop for something closer to stock and in better shape.
Such as :
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/3021661855.html $1900

Or this one :
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3010237780.html $1799

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:45:51 AM by my996duc1 »
1987 Tintop / 1.6 16V ps & ac / 6.4 t-case Twisted TT / 4.30 R&P Hybrid rear / Double Tough axles / Shrockworks all around / ARB f&r / Mighty Kong & TT full skid / DS disconnect / CV shafts f & r / YJ missing links f & r / Petroworks tintop cage / 15 gal Tank / 31" x 12.50 Pro Comps

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 05:58:13 PM »
I appreciate the advice.  I kind of gave up on that one anyway. I tried contacting the guy and he never got back to me.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:29:53 PM by Sn95snake »

Offline SineCredulitas

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 09:53:36 PM »
I drive mine a lot. Some days 250+ miles, average day >80miles. Get about 25mpg, a/c's broke or would be lower.
Got the 16v swap 5sp- fast, smooth, runs hard. Put 15,000+ miles on since September.

I think that qualifies it as a reliable dd- but I paid enough for it being so (po did a good job).

Good luck with your hunt.
88.5 TT, dd, 1.6 16v, 5sp, a/c, SPUA, 30" MTR's

Offline doughboy0379

• Blinker fluid is free so use it........
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »
I think a Samurai is a pretty good DD as long as it's kept up I bought mine in 2000 for $250.00 I put in a used tank, used tranny, a new windshield and 4 tires, I used it to deliver pizzas and went about 100 miles a day plus light wheeling every weekend. I still use it for a DD now too.
86 Samurai, SPOA, 3" HD leaf springs, 31/10.5/15 Big-O XT Tires, K&N Air Filter, Doug Thorey Header, more coming when I find the funds :)

Offline warbird

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
My 88.5 has been a DD and weekend wheeler since day one (2007 for me). Samurai's are very cost effective IF you maintain them yourself.  I'd look elsewhere if you're not a mechanic.  Remember the  newest one youre going to find is a 95 (17 yrs old).  In most states the 87's are now considered antiques. That being said they are extremely simple machines and parts are still relatively cheap (and easy to get on the left coast).

As long as you're not in a hurry to get anywhere the fun factor is priceless!

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 06:51:26 PM »
I have a built '88 that I occasionally DD.

Even with an excellent gearing combination (4.62s and 30" BFGs driven by a Webered 1.6 8-valve) I can barely keep up with traffic - 63MPH GPS at 4000 RPM.

I can drive the interstate with no shifting but I don't feel comfortable winding it past 4 grand just to keep up with the drive-time idiots.

I also use it to deliver pizza.  At 22-24 MPG, it is somewhat economical and can work well in bad weather.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it.  I wouldn't do much freeway driving with it in general thats what I have my Cobra for.  Fastest I would be going would be around 50 mph so I'm not really worried about keeping up with traffic.