Hello Guest

My lil 91 Samurai

• 13 Replies

My lil 91 Samurai
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »
I bought this dude from a guy in Maine by the name of Derek Bonpietro. He did all the mods in the photobucket. Basically everything that could be done had been done. He did an amazing job, not a nut or bolt on this thing was left untouched. Almost everything is new or rebuilt.

It was a complete frame off resto, rhino-lined inside & underneath, powdercoared axles & frame, modified frame w/ torque arm, F350 shock towers, custom front & rear bumpers, fresh paint, fuel injected 1.6L from a Vitara I believe, & just a ton of other mods... Too much to list. It's a real gem

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff402/SRTC_Automotive_Technology/Mr%20Bs%20Project%20Trucks/Project%20Samurai/

I have since added 4.57 gears, lockers front & rear, 26 spline TT Cmoly axles, 8k XRC8 winch, power steering, 33" swampers, & a little music. This thing seems to be unstoppable now. I absolutely love it. Probably the best toy I've bought in years

In the future I'd like to build the spare 1.6L 16v engine that I have & possibly add a turbo. I also want to replace the current fender flares with a set of bushwacker 6" flares.  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:55:59 PM by waltd20012002 »

Offline Oldsam

• 88.5 JA
Re: My lil 91 Samurai
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »
Nice Samurai - welcome to the Zoo

David
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. (John 3:17)

Offline fixed blade

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »
Sounds bad ass.  What lockers did you put in it?

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:30:25 PM »
mimi spool in the back, lockright in the front... made a world of difference. especially with the gears, it just goes

Offline fixed blade

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:10:21 AM »
I  just bought my first Samurai Thursday I have lock rite front and rear.   I took it out yesterday in the mud and snow, and still am in shock at how well it did...    I don't think those things can get stuck. 8)

Offline 94samurai

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »
looks good bro !

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
They're amazing lil machines for sure. I stuck it in the river when I first got it. It was at that point when i decided to get lockers, gears, & a winch. I sat there for 4hrs waiting on someone to come pull me out. meanwhile my daughter & I swam & ate watermelon. There was water up to the speakers in the cab. I left her runnin the whole time & she never missed a beat.
I hope to get up to TN soon to give it some real testing.

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »
I  just bought my first Samurai Thursday I have lock rite front and rear.   I took it out yesterday in the mud and snow, and still am in shock at how well it did...    I don't think those things can get stuck. 8)
Trust me ....You will find a way....Boxcar...
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:53 PM »
Thanks for the compliments fellas... I'm ready to get home, it's time for some wheelin. The river should be goin down, the temps should be goin up, & the women should be wearin less clothing.

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »

Nice lil 91... don't think ya canget it stuck huh....  :laugh: You ain't try'n very hard yet then.... LOL... Have fun and sumertimes a commin / dark glasses are in order...  8)
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 06:47:20 AM »
broke something in the rear... bought HD axles & rear disc brakes.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »
That can happen.  Hopefully it's just an axle and not a rear end.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »
broke something in the rear... bought HD axles & rear disc brakes.

From what I have read, the HD rear axles break easier than stock axles.  Sounds like it has something to do with what the axles are made of.  The HD axles are made out of stronger material, but it is also more brittle.  So instead of twisting and giving, they just snap.
Hopefully, you'll have good luck with them though.

Mini spools sometimes don't hold up real well in the rear axle, when used hard.  I have heard of a lot of people that have stripped the splines out of the spool, while the axleshaft itself is fine.  This may be what happened to yours.  Did you pull it apart, to see what was broken, before you ordered new parts?
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »
I probably should have but I didn't have time before I left to come back offshore. Parts are so cheap for these things I just ordered all new stuff, gears. mini spool, axles, & bearings. I figure whatever i don't use can be put on a shelf for spares. nothing like having the part you need right at hand.