Hello Guest

a few questions about my new sami

• 2 Replies

Offline swanson

• 89 chevy tracker
a few questions about my new sami
« on: January 04, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
i just got an 86ish tintop samurai for 300$. it has been heavily modified (and  heavily wheeled) by the previous owner.  it has a lot of metal added to reinforce the frame , rockers, and pretty much everywhere else lol. it has no title so it is for off road use only.
the first thing i was wondering about was the emergency brake brake. there are no cables to the rear axle but it has the most solid emergency brake i have ever used. not sure weather the emergency brake is on the front or what.
the second thing i was wondering about was what would be required for a toyota axle swap other than moving the spring perches and making some adapters for the driveshaft. my buddy originally bought the sammi just for the axles and i bought the rest of it from him.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: a few questions about my new sami
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:01:02 AM »
Is there a drum or a disk on the back of the transfer case?

As for no title, was the vehicle in his name?  If so I would just go down to the licensing office.  If not, I would check to see if it was reported stolen.  No reason to get busted driving a stolen vehicle.

As for the axle swap you will need to modify the steering, drive lines and spring perches.  I would give Trail Tough or Low Range a call to go over what all is needed.  I wouldn't attempt the swap unless I had at least a $1000 sitting by to purchase random parts that will be needed.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline swanson

• 89 chevy tracker
Re: a few questions about my new sami
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:54:32 AM »
I know it was not stolen. It was actually owned by the owner of the biggrst 4x4 site around here and is a well known vehicle that has a long history around here. There are small plaques glued up inside it from tough truck challenges and events like that from back to 2004.
There is a drum on the back of the t-case. I'm guessing there is a brake in there?

The axle swap will need to be done since the rig will have no axles as of next week. I will check out the companys you mentioned. I have a lot of time to do the swap in since this is just my trail rig. We will be trying to build as much as we can for the swap in the shop here. We have no shortage of welders, benders, lathes, etc. And will be making everything as strong as possible.

Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:00:21 AM by swanson »