Hello Guest

Hydraulic Clutch symptoms and fixes

• 5 Replies

Offline r3cc0s

Hydraulic Clutch symptoms and fixes
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:16:43 AM »
03' 2.0L tracker

haven't drove it for a little while and the clutch was spongy and only was active for the first 1/3 the rest was just dead

If I pump it a fair bit... it comes back enough to drive so I can change gears (otherwise I was speed matching)

I assume it's an issue with the hydraulics, but does anyone know an easy way to first... either bleed out air and to top up the fluid

and how to detect leaks?
03' 2.0L CAMI Tracker w/ 1.5" Front Spacers, 2" Rear Spacers, 1 & 1/4" poly-rubber rear spacer w/ hose clamps, Monroe Crown Vic interceptor rear shocks,1/4" bumpstop extenders, 1.5" strut Extenders, removal of sway bar and strut bar + plenty of cutting for 245/75/16 Goodyear MTRs

Offline Novadon

• South Carolina. USA
Re: Hydraulic Clutch symptoms and fixes
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:23:41 AM »
Is the reservoir low? Are you having to add fluid? Did you run it dry? Any leaks apparent between the master and slave cylinders? Does the pedal have more than an 1" of FREE play? If no to all...the clutch master cylinder is leaking by INTERNALLY (not building up pressure) in order to actuate the slave cylinder / clutch fork, in all likelyhood.  >:(

IF you answered yes to any of the fluid loss questions, then you need to find the leak, fix it, and bleed the clutch hydraulics.  ;)
99' Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2.5, 4wd, 5spd.
72 Nova, SB, A/C, Power disk/drum & steering,
03' Honda Odyssey

Offline r3cc0s

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:37:13 AM »
Alrighty... so being me I didn't realize I needed to bleed my hydraulic clutch periodically to accommodate the deteriation of the clutch.

Straight forward job... just like bleeding car brakes
Have someone pump and push down the clutch and open the little Nipple located on the passanger side area near the linkage (you can locate the linkage by pressing the clutch and watching for action)
It is just a nipple (rounded and uses a I think 8 mm wrench) to open and close
As you have someone build the pressure and hold down the clutch, open the nipple and it will squirt air & fluid, and close... repeat until nothing but fluid comes out

You will have to pull the clutch back up by hand as it will remain on the floor...

I had to do this procedure twice within an hour, and now it's fully functional and shifts again!

WOOT!
03' 2.0L CAMI Tracker w/ 1.5" Front Spacers, 2" Rear Spacers, 1 & 1/4" poly-rubber rear spacer w/ hose clamps, Monroe Crown Vic interceptor rear shocks,1/4" bumpstop extenders, 1.5" strut Extenders, removal of sway bar and strut bar + plenty of cutting for 245/75/16 Goodyear MTRs

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:25:50 AM »
this is interesting and good to know!  thanks for posting this info.
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline Novadon

• South Carolina. USA
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 02:21:58 PM »
In a" perfect" hydraulic clutch world, you should never need to bleed the clutch system UNLESS, components have been replaced or the reservoir went dry (in either case, you introduce air into the system). A small amount of fluid  evaporation may take place over months and years that will cause the level to go down a little, but overall it's LEAKS that cause replenishment needs.  ;)                           
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 03:38:24 AM by Novadon »
99' Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2.5, 4wd, 5spd.
72 Nova, SB, A/C, Power disk/drum & steering,
03' Honda Odyssey

nprecon

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 02:54:13 PM »
Good to know stuff.  Thanks Zuke guys!

Norm