Hello Guest

what is this?

• 6 Replies

Offline 82kat

what is this?
« on: July 23, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
Ok I am going to ask a stupid question because I have had this POS for 8 months now and have no idea what it is. The is a push button near the shifter that states A/T power, what is it?

Online fordem

Re: what is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:40:16 PM »
It changes the shift points of the transmission, causing it to upshift at higher rpm.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:53:43 AM »
It changes the shift points of the transmission, causing it to upshift at higher rpm.

I believe that it also, as a result of the ABOVE, creates less heat in the tranny and more abrupt shifting.  The normal position lets the tranny shift gradually and that takes longer and also causes more heat.  Allegedly a more comfortable ride.  Any off road I do is in the power position for quicker reactivity.

Try checking how long the full shift up or down takes with switch in each position.

OTOH, I may be all wet?!  grin

Pat

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »
I'll subscribe to your second theory.

This is an electrically controlled transmission, the ECU flips a switch, a solenoid moves, changing the flow of fluid through the valve body and the transmission shifts - the ECU has no control over how long the actual shift takes - at least that is the essence of it - in reality, if you're shifting at higher rpm, there is probably a little more hydraulic pressure so the shift will occur marginally faster.

How about another theory - when you shift at higher rpm, the shifts are more noticeable - and you can try this yourself - just floor the gas (try it with the switch in both positions) I'm pretty sure that shifts will be both more abrupt & more noticeable.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
How about another theory - when you shift at higher rpm, the shifts are more noticeable - and you can try this yourself - just floor the gas (try it with the switch in both positions) I'm pretty sure that shifts will be both more abrupt & more noticeable.

Negative.

The shift points only change for partial throttle.  At WOT, no change whatsoever.  It's for better power delivery when trailering or heavily loaded, not WOT acceleration.  I was a little disappointed to discover that, but whattayado.

Now, if someone would just come up with a solution for firming up the shifts, I'd be a happy, happy dude.

Also, if used in combination with the "Overdrive" switch (off) and placing the transmission in 2nd, it will lock out 1st:  You'll be in 2nd gear, and only 2nd gear.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:05:36 PM by beercheck »
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »
aaaaaahhhh - I was misunderstood there - the "foot to the floor" test does not relate to the power/normal switch function, but simply to demonstrate that high rpm shifts are more abrupt and noticeable.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
aaaaaahhhh - I was misunderstood there - the "foot to the floor" test does not relate to the power/normal switch function, but simply to demonstrate that high rpm shifts are more abrupt and noticeable.

Ah, I read you.  But, in this case, it still doesn't hold much water.  These transmission do not do their thing quickly.  The WOT shifts are actually much more squishy than the part-throttle shifts with the "Power" switch on.

Part throttle in "Normal" mode, the shifts take place at relatively low RPM, with relatively short drops between ratios.
Part throttle in "Power" mode, the shifts are the same, but take place at somewhat higher RPM, with a relatively taller drop between gears, so it feels more abrupt (relatively...).
WOT (with either setting) results in smooth, soft, performance-killing, lazy-ass shifts that won't spill your coffee.  Wouldn't be surprised if the transmission were even in two gears at once for a bit.  One would think there'd just be one little circuit that could be bored out a little or a valve adjusted to increase the fluid flow/pressure to firm things up; that's what they used to do backinaday.  I'm pretty sure I'd be well into the lower 7s 0-60 but for those marshmallows in the transmission.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com