Hello Guest

Tube bumper interest?

• 32 Replies

Re: Tube bumper interest?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 10:44:56 AM »
I'm extremely interested in these bumpers as well, count me in for a purchase.  Have any bumpers gone into production yet?  I am intentionally resurrecting this thread in case any new forum visitors haven't had a chance to share their interest in this product.

-Dan
2003 chevy tracker (2.0L-auto-2 door-soft top)
MODS SO FAR....
-235/75/15 w/cragar soft 8's
-painted grill/graphics removed
-bull bar + off road lights
-Jeff's 2" spacer lift w/new rear shocks
-flowtech muffler
-Pacer Fender Flares

Offline tcfootball

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »
bump for an update.  I am interested but not committed yet....

Offline MUD CHILD

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »
bump for an update.  I am interested but not committed yet....

Kinda funny this just got bumped back up. We were just closed for a week for holidays and while "relaxing" I was thinking about theses bumpers and was just going to update this post. Since it will be you guys and gals buying the bumpers I was wondering if you would prefer a round tube style bumper or a flat plate (cut and bent) style bumper. If everyone could let me know which they would like better, and what they would like to see Incorporated into them would be great.
NO DITCH TO DEEP NO HILL TO STEEP

http://srcustoms.ca/

Online fordem

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 07:14:01 PM »
If flat plate is how you would describe an ARB bumper, then flat plate for me thank you.

What would I like to see incorporated - spot light mounts for certain, hi lift jack slots, possibly a winch mount -

What would I not like to see - a big round 3" tube guard above the bumper - makes the vehicle look front heavy, probably adds a fair bit of weight as well.

I actually have "half a bumper" modelled in cardboard - from the center coming to the right, complete with "mount(s)" that slide into the chassis rail opening where the factory bumper reinforcing member fits.  The project got put on hold after my son smucked my other vehicle and the "bumper fund" got diverted to repairs.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline bush buster

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »
I would definately buy a set of bumpers. They should be lightweight and have spots for highlift jack. I would prefer a receiver in the front and rear.
(FOR SALE, drop me a line) '01 Vitara 2.0, 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 31x10.5x15 Interco TRXUS MT's on ford truck turbine rims, 1" wheel spacers, manual hubs, 5125 gears (Sidekick rear and GV steel front). DD/bushmobile "Snowflake"

'06 Impreza - Wife's ride and road tripper

1975 Dodge 360 Sportsman 1 ton van chassis with a 21' Triple E Class C motorhome

Offline samuraidan

• speak softly, and carry a big stick
    • City Ranger
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »
i would way rather a small tube bumper.

large plate bumpers are better suited to large full size trucks. i want something small, light and minimalistic (like the ones in the photos at the beginning of the thread).
'00 Vitara 2.0L 5spd w/ Jeff's lift, SR Customs body lift, 5.13's, rear locker, SR Customs steel pinion collar, 1.25" wheel spacers, 15x7, 31x10.5R15 Dynapro MT's.

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »
I'd like to see a round tube bumper w/a set of tabs for mounting lights.

MODS SO FAR....
-flowtech muffler
-Pacer Fender Flares

Offline MUD CHILD

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »
Anymore input?
NO DITCH TO DEEP NO HILL TO STEEP

http://srcustoms.ca/

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 07:05:52 AM »

This is what I have in mind.
MODS SO FAR....
-flowtech muffler
-Pacer Fender Flares

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »
Yes, I like the tube style with lightest weight possible, I don't want to add a bunch of weight to mine...

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »
I'm NOT  interested in excessively heavy bumpers either, but as far as appearance, I would also lean toward the flat plate metal versus the tube.  I'd want them stronger than the stock bumpers under the plastic, and I would want to be able to jack on them with a hi-lift type jack for maintenance and tire changes, have receiver mount on both ends, AND have 2- D-rings on each end as well.  Winch mount could be an add-on option.

A flat plate bumper (as above) would not have to be excessively heavier than a tube bumper and having jack lift points on it would be a big plus.  

You can build a bumper using 1/2" plate if you want to.... but a 200# bumper is no more functional or stronger than the metal of the vehicle it is attached to.  10 gage channeled/boxed metal should be sufficient.

A couple example pics from guys vehicles.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:54:09 PM by nprecon »
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Online fordem

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »
I especially like the ones on that white GV - to the point where I have prints of those pictures in the glovebox - when I do get around to having someone quote me to fab a set, that's what he's going to be given to get an idea of what I am looking for.

I have been in two minds whether to go with pipe work to protect the headlamps - I don't want it too heavy - but - I do need protection against animal strikes - which is a problem here, once you get out of the city.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »
One thing that we desperately need, that NOBODY makes, is a swing out oversized spare tire carrier/rear bumper combo.
MODS SO FAR....
-flowtech muffler
-Pacer Fender Flares

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
I like the bumpers on the white one also.  Adding 1 1/2" tubing looped over the headlamp assemblies and connected to one over the front of the grill would be functional.  As far as the rear bumper, I'm of the mind the rear bumper needs to protrude out from the body about 8 to 10" to protect the back door AND the spare tire.  So IF you happen to back into a tree.... the bumper draws first blood and keeps the spare from being punched into the door and caving it in.  The one below would be "more better" if the corners were rounded more, the main bumper extended another 2 or 3 inches outward and the sides and lower edges tapered inward.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:04:43 PM by nprecon »
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Offline gsherred

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 03:26:30 PM »
I've put thought into it and if I could aford it.  The front bumper would be a combination plate / tube bumper.  The plate portion would be about 24 inches wide to fit over the frame rails and give me a place to put the air bag sensor, 4WD pump, and the bottom of the radiator as well as tie into the factory skid plate.  The tube portion would extend ~12 inches past each end of the box made of 2 inch tube bent to follow the contour of the grille.  I'm working on a cardboard template to take a picture of to show everyone what I mean.
02 ZR2 K&N filter driving lights in bumper body colored coil covers. Jeff's 2 inch spacer lift.