Hello Guest

front diff clunking in 4x4

• 14 Replies

Offline toofaroffroad

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
front diff clunking in 4x4
« on: January 13, 2008, 09:07:29 PM »
I was out in deep snow on the weekend messing around. When I got stuck my front end started making this clunking noise. 4x4 still seems to work but it's almost like it's skipping when there is a lot of pressure on it. A friend suggested that it's the diff not engaging properly because of my diff angles. I've got about 2.5 of suspension lift in the front and 2" diff drop brackets. Any ideas? I also have the 5:13 gears installed. Maybe they wern't put in right. As I said though, everything seems to work fine until it's gets really stuck, then the clicking starts.
Thanks for any help.

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
Re: front diff clunking in 4x4
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 08:14:18 AM »
This is common.  Several people have this problem, including myself.  Under torque the actuator in the diff can actually jump or skip one tooth on the gear.  While somewhat annoying and strange, it is normal.  They changed the design after a couple of years, and this clunking was reduced or eliminated.  Interestingly, mine doesn't make as much noise now that I reduced the gearing to 5.13 from 4.30.  With 31" tires, I probably took a little bit of the torque load off the front when I changed gears.  Plus, my rear end takes care of most of the work while in 4WD because I have a rear locker, which likely reduces the stress on the front diff.  While it's somewhat annoying to listen to the banging, I wonder if the actuators ability to skip a tooth under heavy torque-load might actually reduce the chances of breaking an axle or other components.  Hmmmmmmm.....that's one way to make lemonade when Suzuki hands us a lemon.   :P

David
1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline toofaroffroad

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
Thanks for that info. I did not like that sound at all. do you think dropping the diff another inch would help? That was going to be my plan but maybe it's a waist of time.

Offline Davyboy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:37:49 PM »
It has nothing to do with CV angles.  It's the shift-on-the-fly pneumatic actuator.  Like you, in the winter of 1999, when my GV was brand new (and in stock form), I got it buried up to the framerails in snow.  It just sat and spun, and made a banging noise in the front diff.  The only thing you can do to get rid of it is get the very newest design of the differential components (a.k.a. mortgage the house for genuine Suzuki parts), or swap in the Sidekick guts and eliminate the shift-on-the-fly design.  AFAIK, it's not hurting anything when it's banging, although it's definitely annoying.  We're in the same boat, it appears.  When we got out gearing changed, we should have eliminated the shift-on-the-fly.  I planned to, but my gearing guy had short term memory, and left the GV components in.  Oh well........
1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 01:15:30 PM »
mine seems to make a clunk when i'm getting started in the snow, it's weird because it never did this during warmer months.  but everything is working fine.
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline toofaroffroad

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 04:32:29 PM »
That is strange. I've also, never noticed this in warmer months crawling around on rocks.In the snow was the first time for me. I have already installed my old sidekick manual hubs but your saying that the entire air 4x4 engager thing needs to be taken out?

Offline Davyboy

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:57:06 AM »
......but your saying that the entire air 4x4 engager thing needs to be taken out?

Yup....that's exactly what I'm saying.

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 05:39:16 PM »
mine seems to make a clunk when i'm getting started in the snow, it's weird because it never did this during warmer months.  but everything is working fine.

Mine's made some violent noise gettting started in the snow as well, but I tried waiting a few seconds after shifting into 4wd to try and give it time to engage. the 4wd light blinks off then back on real quick, then I go with no clunking at all. Are you guys having trouble with it clunking when you run out of traction in 2wd, then put it in 4wd and try to get going real quick or does it also happen in a situation where allot of tourque is put to the front end?

and I am with davyboy, the 4x4 air engager is complete garbage. just one more thing to go wrong with the vehicle, not that anything ever has gone wrong with my gv, but I really don't expect that 4x4 engager to not break eventually.
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »
mine will clunk sometimes if i'm parked and require 4wd to get going, forward or reverse.  also yes if i get stuck in 2wd and engage 4wd it has happened.  it only clunks sometimes and when it happens it does it once then all is good.  i really don't know what the reason is.
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline toofaroffroad

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:10:55 PM »
We'll you guys have given me some great info but I don't think that those are my problems. Yesterday I locked up my hubs but did not even put it in 4x4 and the front end was clicking and clacking. When I unlocked the hubs it was fine. I must have done something to damage the 4x4. Luckily this is one of those times when having the manual hubs is great. I'll have to get it all taken a part and see what the real damage is. Thanks for the info though.
   Have you guys ever tried or seen anyone try to make some sort of plates that would help drop the front diff, kind of like a spacer. That looks like it would be an easy way to bring the front diff down a bit.

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:33:54 AM »
Sounds like at least one of the CVs needs replacement.  Try unlocking one at a time to see which side it is (unless it's both  :(  )
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.

Offline toofaroffroad

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 04:43:04 PM »
Thanks for the help, I'll try that.

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 07:24:23 PM »
my cv's used to pop really really bad. then I put on some manual hubs and it doesn't do it much anymore, barely at all when the hubs are unlocked, and only a little when they locked. I am pretty sure my cv's are damaged though. The outer boots are starting to get brittle, so maybe I'll worry about them when a boot tears. It would be nice to throw a calmini on it if I'm going to have all that crap taken apart, that passenger side cv is extremely difficult to remove and install since suzuki is too retarted to use a flange like they did on the drivers side.

definately sounds like your cv's are in allot worse shape than mine though, good luck with that.
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 01:00:38 AM »
Just heard on another board that there may be some issues in trying to drive with one locked, one free, so better not try that in 4WD  ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:03:37 AM by IanL »
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »
Just heard on another board that there may be some issues in trying to drive with one locked, one free, so better not try that in 4WD  ;)

on my friends nissan 720, one of the hubs wouldn't unlock and he drove around with the other locked. On mine one cold morning one wouldn't lock, the dial turned, but no matter how much I twisted the cv by hand or beat on the hub, it wouldn't engage. I did drive it in 4 wheel drive with only one hub locked unil that one finally engaged itself, it caused no problems that i know of.

just my expereince on the situation, not much, but it's some.