Hello Guest

New Here

• 33 Replies

wezeles

Re: New Here
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 09:12:23 AM »
well i already found headers for it... acctually searching on this site... they are so far only made by hurricane headers as far as i can tell the 1.8 headers for the  vitara will also fit the american 2.0 motor just fine little tight to the steering but will clear im gonna call on prices see how much to ship it here if its cheeper than making my own ill do it... pat number HU333STM

http://hurricaneheaders.com.au/hurricane/products.htm

so im gonna look into getting that, as for now i got everything for the spring spacers camber bolts,strut extender, shock extender are all on the way, and i have plenty of tools between me and my buddies to get the job done so hopefully aslong as everything shows up it will be on this weekend...

what exhaust did you use to make it that loud? it would take almost straight pipes to get that little 2.0 to get annoying i would think... i plan on ditching the cat  replacing it with a glass pack and a high flow muffler and running 2 1/4 pipe the rest of the way back... common mod i do to most smaller engine cars ive owned you usually need something inplace of the cat to keep it running right on a stock tune so i toss the glass pack in its place, and a high flow muffler to let them breath..
  i saw the power differance the exhaust system made on the older gens and i just hope i can get about the same results outta the exhuast on this

wezeles

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »
alright i got the lift kit on the way spring spacers from jeff camber bolts and strut extender from boondox and some shock extenders from my local parts store... id like to have an idea what this will look like finnished... anyone have a picture of there 2 door  using jeffs 1.5 and 2 inch spacers?

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 11:49:34 AM »
on page 12 of the members rides section (post is in the 1st gen trackick section) is 2 pics of my 03 2dr with 1 & 1.5 inch spacers and 30in cooper muds, will give you an idea of the difference in height you should expect.
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

wezeles

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »
nice i saw a tracker with the 1.5 front and 2.0 rear on the next page with the same size tires as me... it was a 4 door but it gives me a good idea...

wezeles

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 12:21:29 PM »
ok guys here it is some befores and after

here are some pics of it just on stock suspension and with tires 235 75 15 MT's

and this sunday i tossed in a 2 inch lift consisting of 2 inch spacers in the rear and 1.5's in the front from jeff1997
2 inch strut extender "which didnt go on easy at all" from BDS as well as his camber bolts
and just basic 2 inch shock extenders from autozone/murrays you dont have to pay 25 bucks guys they are in just about every auto parts store for 5 bucks... you will notice the red boot on the front struts i had a heck of a time getting the stock boot of the strut along with the rubber gromet so i just used this from a set of old ranchero shocks turned out great and looks good i think... just used the rubber gromet and the metal disk that holds the stock boot and pushed it up into the small end of the shock boot...

anyway enough said here is some pics after the lift

\

camber is still off a bit didnt really mess with it to much just bolted it down tight and came home... i did however decide to leave the stock boot issolator in the front the 1.5 2 inch combo was perfect to lift it and keep stock angles but i wanted to level out the front a little more so the extra 1/4 inch worked great no cv noise at all but i think thats at its limits right there...

total clearance went from 8 inches frame to ground stock to 13.5 with tires and lift
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 09:51:37 AM by wezeles »

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 07:39:04 PM »
LOOKS AWESOME!!!! ;D Glad the spacers fit well and they worked out on a newer Tracker. Hope to see more pics when you do more to it. I just finished my cargo roof rack. It is 40" wide, 66" long and 6.5" tall. I just need to mount it on top and wire in the 4 lights. I'll try to post pics but am having a hard time getting them the right size to post.
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

wezeles

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 06:15:09 AM »
the only ones that didnt want to go right on the spacer was the rears for some reason, they had to be "influenced" to go into the spring... no cutting or trimming just a hammer and screwdriver... worked fine no issues with outter diameter at all...
   the BDS strut extenders were a pain in the butt though, they fit but very tight had to hammer and pipe wrench them on... they are on good didnt mess up the treads or anything but if someone uses them on stock struts i would say sand down the bottom of the stock strut mount "non threaded surface" and the inside of the BDS spacer "non threaded surface" use a little oil on the non threaded surface and locktight on the threads... you will need a buddy or a vice to get it on proper...
   and dont bother trying to save the strut boot if its rusted on just pound it off if it rips the cheep plastic boot just pick up some shock covers to cover the strut... better design anyway... and looks better.... i eventually just cut the plastic boot off just saving the metal disk and rubber gromet... if i did it again i would guess it to be a 3 hour job...not bad but bring some beer...

nprecon

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 09:10:06 AM »
There's the  guy in England that has the "Bits4Vits" site on e-bay.  He sells the strut extenders.  Heavy boogers too!  He maintains a site and sells his products there.  He has a 99.3% satisfaction rating.  Check out his line of gear as well.   http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bits4Vits   

He also offers a complete coil lift kit (1.5"), with the strut extenders and rear shock extenders in a set.  I think this guy has it going on.  Camber bolts too.  He's picked up on those parts most people (not all) in the forum are continually asking about and pulled them all together in one web address.  He also bulk puchased the front end drops from VTTR and sells them on his web page as well as Hiem jonit extenders he had made from solid steel blocks.  The one thing he hasn't addressed yet is the 2 Liter header.  The only manufactureres I have found in the world for the 2 Liter is Hurricane exhaust in Australia.   http://hurricaneheaders.com.au/hurricane/products.htm

The one small draw back to the British guy's parts is his parts are priced in British pounds (conversion), and you pay a heavy fee to have them shipped to you.

From everything I have read on the forum, I'm thinking a 1.5" lift (whether springs or coil spacers) is as high as you might want to go without the drops for the front axle.  Unless you're going rock crawling, 1.5" plus the 235/75/15 tires should provide you with about 3 more inches of ground clearance on your body not including you rear end pig head.

I've read several forum members comments this past year that "someone needs to buy these parts and stock them here in the USA".   I've been thinking hard about doing just that.  Some of the company web sites are hard to navigate (VTTR a prime example) and some manufacturers don't sell to the public so you have to go to their dealership venders to buy their products... who live in a different time zone and many don't have nor maintain a website to conduct business.  On top of that are the many forms of VAT taxes that just beat the crap out of the pocket book.  I think the focus needs to turn to the newer Suzuki/Trakcers (09-05) versus the older models which are no longer made and are rusting and dying daily.  I retired back in April.  Just got a one year gig in another job, but I'm seriously thinking about doing this.  I have to believe alot of $ can be saved by buying the parts by the half dozen or dozen.  Not to mention the VAT tax costs.   I really enjoy these little trucks.  I haven't found any other small trucks with the same ability, quality and durability for the price.  I enjoy working on them, driving them, and listening to all the forum members who have similar interests. 

Norm

wezeles

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »
well there are a few companies... i knew about bitsforvits right away, i looked at calmini,rocky road, and http://www.boondoxmotorsports.com/ none of them had everything bits for vits does, although boondox does sell the same spring spacers,camber bolts ext.. that bits for vits does "the basic 1.5 lift" but the rest he doesnt... i agree with you though there are plenty of newer gen 2's flying around now that are off warranty and people are willing to dump some cash into them and mod them up, im kinda suprised there isnt more offered on the market specially with the prices these people charge for everything... i e-mailed VTTR just for the drop brackets and the price of shipping say a lot of 10 drop brackets then doing a 1.5 OME spring lift and 1.5 spacer lift  with new shocks and  strut extenders i could offer a complete set for like 350 bucks for a true 3 inch suspension lift as long as i bought it in bulk

the headers i was still working on till i saw the factory exhaust manifold and really its a good header/manifold design on the newer 2.0 it really doesnt need it you wont gain that much power from the headers without a full exhuast... and the difference will be small compared to the same exhuast on the stock manifold i think, but no one offers that eaither no bolt on exhaust kit... im waiting for my high flow OBD2 cat to show up then im gonna match that with some 2 1/4 pipe and flowmaster aswell as some ECU mods to give it better burn, these cars run crazy lean for there fuel economy i had the laptop on it and it was close to the 15 range... just nuts this is probably one of the only cars that an EBAY chip might acctually help...if you could get this into the 12.9 range or so maybe a little more with mid grade or premium it should pick up well over 20hp and 20ft lbs i would guess more in the 30 range and it might cost me 2mpg.. im good with that... that with a full exhaust might bump it up a good 50hp or more economy vehicals are always very restricted...

nprecon

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 12:06:47 PM »
A 20 HP and 20 LB of torque increase would be awesome and greatly appreciated.  I think there is a great deal potential in these engines than the way they are packaged from the factory.  2 LT engines are regularly pulling 160 HP in several production vehicles and I know they can scream at high RPMs.  I'm just looking for another honest 10-15 HP increase with a modest torque increase and I think I'd be good to go (satisfied).

Do you know who makes/offers these modified  ECMs for these trucklets?   I don't have to worry about any manufacturer warranty and so I am willing to look at what is available.

Norm

wezeles

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »
well i just have a full diagnostic tools right now cant tweak much but if you look into air fuel ratios you know that stock vehicals usually run lean to get the fuel economy the automaker wants in are case i was seeing numbers in the 15.2.1 range... very lean indeed... so i ordered a chip the other day that says it will keep it at 12.6.1 "none of the others said what they changed the air fuel ratio too" its much richer mixture better burn more power... i have used the ebay chips before and you will notice a difference they just trick the computer to think the air is colder and then adds more fuel... this will effect the fuel economy of the vehical i garantee it if they say it wont or even increases the fuel economy then the chip is crap... like i said the automaker put it in that range for a reason... they know where best fuel economy is they dont cheep out on there R&D... although with this light of a vehical i dont see it loosing alot of mpg with a richer mixture... i average about  28 mpg now and im gonna guess ill be about 25mpg range when chiped... so once it shows up in the next couple days ill let you know the company and where to buy it... untill then dont waste your money yet let me see if mine is good if not you can try the next one and let me know..lol but i dont see how any of them could hurt power with the numbers i was reading... no one in there right mind would go leaner... normal is about 14.8.1

nprecon

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »
O.K.  appreciate it.  thank you.

norm

JayInBarrie

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 06:20:29 AM »

what exhaust did you use to make it that loud? it would take almost straight pipes to get that little 2.0 to get annoying i would think... i plan on ditching the cat  replacing it with a glass pack and a high flow muffler and running 2 1/4 pipe the rest of the way back... common mod i do to most smaller engine cars ive owned you usually need something inplace of the cat to keep it running right on a stock tune so i toss the glass pack in its place, and a high flow muffler to let them breath..
  i saw the power differance the exhaust system made on the older gens and i just hope i can get about the same results outta the exhuast on this

Yeah you'll notice the increase in HP.  I have a little pop-up camper to tow, so I really needed an increase in torque but there seems less options for that.  When the exhaust started to crack I replaced it hoping that this might help with the towing.  I 'm being picky with the sound, it is the family vehical.  The wind whistling with the soft top any increase in sound is a pain on a family trip. Over all it's fine, the increase in performace is better then the noise (from wife and kid).

I had a shop put on a larger 2" cat and glass pack muffler, and 2" aluminium pipes.  The noise is mostly between the 2.5k - 3k RPM range when going up a bit of a hill.  In this range the noise is just low and loud enough to be a pain.

I think I'll go back to the shop to check on any mods they can do.  Maybe I look too young, and they thought noise and a cheaper muffler would be good, but I'm not the kid rev'in down main street.  Most importantly it is the family vehical, and a happy wife is a happy life.

nprecon

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 02:51:48 PM »
On my first 2002 Tracker I had my local exhaust shop put a turbo muffler on him without changing the stock exhaust tube size (1 7/8).  The exhaust note was alot more throaty and at crusiing speed, it was a little louder and could be annoying.  On my current one, I had him put on the same type/brand of turbo muffler, but had him increase the tube from the CAT back to 2".   Same 2 liter engine, same 5 spd set-up on my newer truck, but the exhaust became more throaty sounding on take off, not as loud, and almost dissappears at highway speeds.  That crazy 1/8 inch tubing increase made a pleasant difference.   Seems to breath a little better as well.   Don't know if you've tried a turbo muffler yet, but I have run them on my last four Kicks/Trackers and I liked them alright.  They don't burn out quickly like most glass packs do either.  You'll get more miles from them and I think they help the engine breath better with their reduced restriction.  I like this last set-up with a 2" pipe  alot "more-better". 

Norm

wezeles

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »
sorry it took so long to get back to you guys, the site was down and i could get my password to reset... anyway i installed the chip and it made a nice improvement... and just like the guy said it riched the fuel by a few points like i said stock when up to temp these things run 14.5-15.2 very lean with the chip it was reading from 12.5-13.5 pretty much drops it 2 points all around for a nice power boost... its not sluggish like it use to be on the e-way going from 60-70 you can actually see it moving faster on the speedometer and power all around was improved faster acceleration and more grunt when playing off road... no noticable gas millage differance as of yet... and unlike most chips this doesnt just replace the IAT "intake air temp" sensor it is an inline chip and works with the computer as it changes fuel air ratios and just drops it a couple points as what the sensor is saying...

here are some pics of the installed chip

and here is where you can get it... ive checked it myself and it meassures up well... this  with a nice air filter and exhaust will give you a nice kick in the pants over stock and makes the larger tires feel like they arnt even there...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-Tracker-NITRO-High-Performance-Chip-Module_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ018QQitemZ280117920691QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

try it out guys for the money you cant beat it...