Hello Guest

more 03+ v6 locker info

• 7 Replies

Offline 90Stomper

more 03+ v6 locker info
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:47:45 PM »
ok, i just ordered a Calmini 2.5 lift.  AFTER, i ordered i asked about how to get a NON ARB locker into the rear.  they were very nice and helpful.

the reason they say that no one sells a locker for the 03+ trackVits is that some had the R&P and carrier parts made in the US and some were made in Japan.  they say that there is no way to tell what each car has in it, what ever they got, they put in.  output shaft spine # and dia are all the same.  but there seems to be a difference on the ring gear and carrier dimentions.  according to Calmini, their limited slip dif
http://www.puresuzuki.com/limited_slip2.htm
will fit in some.  when/if i get their lift and install it i am going to take measurements and call them back.  they will be able to tell me if the LSD will fit or not.  their LSD is pricey but it doesnt need air, air lines, compressor, or anything once installed.

i dont know if this effects non-US vits but it might.  i will post in this link with more info when i learn more.
2004 chevy tracker, 4door, V6
says 'Chevy' on the outside,
but its covered with lots of big 'S's on the inside ;)

Offline bzzr2

Re: more 03+ v6 locker info
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 07:40:25 PM »
i read a post on one of the forums - not sure which one, a while ago and a guy tried this and it didn't fit.  hopefully you'll have better luck!
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 05:56:20 PM »
thanks, i hope so too.  you dont have a link to the other guys info or link?  maybe i have a different one than he did.... ???

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 08:24:39 AM »
i think it was on zookpower.ca under the IFS section, you can view there like here without being a member.  he was told it would/might fit, tried it with no luck.  i would put the lsd in if i could also.
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 11:41:45 AM »
I'm having difficulty understanding this approval for LSDs.  As I understand it,  they allow a small amount of slip (i.e. limited) before they let go and you lose drive.  So this is absolutely no help if you have one wheel off the ground.

They have their uses, for race tracks, etc, where a wheel can lose a bit of traction due to rubber on the road, or a sharp bend, but I don't see them as useful for an off-roader, or have I got it wrong?
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »
I'm having difficulty understanding this approval for LSDs.  As I understand it,  they allow a small amount of slip (i.e. limited) before they let go and you lose drive.  So this is absolutely no help if you have one wheel off the ground.

They have their uses, for race tracks, etc, where a wheel can lose a bit of traction due to rubber on the road, or a sharp bend, but I don't see them as useful for an off-roader, or have I got it wrong?

Yeah, you've got it backwards.  They limit the amount of slippage between wheels on the same axle.  With an open differential, once one wheel slips (begins to spin), it gets ALL the power and the other wheel gets ZERO.  An LSD, if working properly, will ensure that even when one wheel is spinning freely, the other wheel will at least get a little power.  Might be only about 5-10% (depends on all sorts of stuff), but any traction is better than no traction.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:18:32 PM »
thanks for the info BZ!  i will see what i can find.

i too think that a lsd is second choice, but yes, it is better than nothing.  i had a lockrite in my 90 and loved it.  yes it had drawbacks, but it was solid, and always instantly locked when a tire slipped.  100% power to both wheels 8)  but at this point i will take what i can get :'(

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 01:11:28 AM »
According to the Calmini site, it is not available for manual V6s.
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.