Hello Guest

Help a Noob sort out lift options.

• 19 Replies

Offline SlickO

Help a Noob sort out lift options.
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »
Hello, I am new to Suzuki. Just bought my first 2000 grand vitara auto, it should be delivered tomorrow ;D.  A little about myself I live in Vancouver Wa,  and bought the gv for hunting and trail riding. My friend bought a samurai and looking back at my purchase I feel that a samurai would have worked better, oh well at least I have 3 seats in the back.

So I have been looking at my options for lifting it. I would like to get some usable lift for the trail not going to build a full on crawler but diffidently not just for gravel back roads.  At the same time will use it to go to work daily.  So far from what I read my best option is Jeff's lift and 2" body lift. Then I want to add 1" diff drop brackets, and maybe lengthen the trailing arms in the back (got a friend that can weld pretty well).  And will likely run 31' tires.

I was wondering can I get the strut extensions and some junkyard springs xl7 or something else to raise it a bit more? If I extend the trailing arms in the back will I need (not sure what its called) a spacer on top of the rear diff?

Anny suggestions, or anyone see problems with this plan? To sum it up I want to do a Jeffs kit +, so that I can keep up with a samurai on SPOA ~4-5 inch lift. One more thing would like to add I am not interested in buying a ready kit like the calmini or rockyroad some of those cost more than what I paid for the GV, but don't want to cut corners.
(and I did search and read a lot of posts here and on other forums).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:41:17 PM by SlickO »
2000 GV 4 Door Auto, Stock so far (waiting for delivery).

Re: Help a Noob sort out lift options.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:49:05 AM »
Congrats on the purchase.  Is it a 4 or 6 cyl?  Might be a dog with 31's depending on the gearing, although probably won't be too bad with a v6.  I went with Jeff's kit on my 03 tracker to fit 235s and haven't looked back.

2003 chevy tracker (2.0L-auto-2 door-soft top)
MODS SO FAR....
-235/75/15 w/cragar soft 8's
-painted grill/graphics removed
-bull bar + off road lights
-Jeff's 2" spacer lift w/new rear shocks
-flowtech muffler
-Pacer Fender Flares

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:33:49 AM »
I agree, Jeff's kit is THE BEST!!!!  >:D
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline samuraidan

• speak softly, and carry a big stick
    • City Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
I hate to burst your bubble, but without some serious modifications there is very little chance you'll be able to keep up with a built Sammy off road. This is coming from experience, i have had both trucks.

Don't get me wrong, i love my Vitara - a 2.0L multi-port fuel injected engine is WAY better for daily driving then the 1.3 carbureted lawn mower engine in the Sammy. But the Vitara's and Grand Vitara's are bigger, wider, heavier and not nearly as tough.

That said, get jeff's lift, get a body lift and some bigger tires and your grand vitara is going to be a lot of fun off road! And if your buddie's samurai breaks down out in the bush you'll have room to chauffeur him back to town!

'00 Vitara 2.0L 5spd w/ Jeff's lift, SR Customs body lift, 5.13's, rear locker, SR Customs steel pinion collar, 1.25" wheel spacers, 15x7, 31x10.5R15 Dynapro MT's.

Offline SlickO

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »
Thanks for the input. I got the V6 after riding in my buddies samurai this thing got real power  :-*. I agree that it would not follow a "built" samurai then again my friends is stock currently, he is planing on SPOA but not going to go wild with it.

Jeff's kit is the best value. I am just wondering what else could be done to get that 1"-1/2" extra, maybe I don't need it once I have the kit on.  On another kit it is a aluminum spacer kit they had some sort of bracket looked small about 3-4" inch long to correct some sort of arm placement in the back (can't find the link right now). Do I need that bracket? They were selling it ~50 Canadian separate. If I only go with Jeff's kit 1.5" and 2" back how important is diff drop? From what I hear that 2" lift + 2" body is good to clear 31.

This forum is pretty awesome fond more info here then I imagined. Thanks for your input.

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »
Thanks for the input. I got the V6 after riding in my buddies samurai this thing got real power  :-*. I agree that it would not follow a "built" samurai then again my friends is stock currently, he is planing on SPOA but not going to go wild with it.

Jeff's kit is the best value. I am just wondering what else could be done to get that 1"-1/2" extra, maybe I don't need it once I have the kit on.  On another kit it is a aluminum spacer kit they had some sort of bracket looked small about 3-4" inch long to correct some sort of arm placement in the back (can't find the link right now). Do I need that bracket? They were selling it ~50 Canadian separate. If I only go with Jeff's kit 1.5" and 2" back how important is diff drop? From what I hear that 2" lift + 2" body is good to clear 31.

This forum is pretty awesome fond more info here then I imagined. Thanks for your input.

There are two possibilities for where that goes - one is the panhard rod (aka trackbar) which locates the rear axle in a left/right plane - as you raise the vehicle the axle moves right, so it's no longer centered under the vehicle - raise the vehicle high enough and it becomes a problem.

The second possible place is an extension of the LSPV lever arm - there is a load sensing proportioning valve in the brake system - it senses the load in the vehicle and sets the rear braking accordingly - more load, more braking, less load, less braking.  It does this based on ride height - more load would normally mean less ride height, but when you add spacers or longer springs, you increase the ride height and that makes the valve think there is less load, so it reduces the amount of braking, and the stopping distance increases.

Do you need it ?  Your choice - if it were my car, I'd want it - in both places.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline tcfootball

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:59:09 AM »
Good info.  I think we should have a thread that deals with lift options laid out for each model covered under this forum. 

Offline jeff1997

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 05:51:41 PM »
You may be talking about the rear differential spacer. It goes on top of the rear end and spacers the upper Y link to compensate for the 2" coil spacers. I make one and can send it with the lift. It is not "needed" but does help get maximum movement out of the rear. 
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline MUD CHILD

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:12:41 PM »

Here is the link to the kit you are talking about, it's also on sale this month: http://www.srcustoms.ca/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=29&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56
NO DITCH TO DEEP NO HILL TO STEEP

http://srcustoms.ca/

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:18:10 AM »
You only have the LSPV if you do not have ABS.
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.

Offline SlickO

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 12:01:57 AM »
So today did about 60 miles off road with my friend in his samurai, got some video that I need to edit and post up. The thing stock is pretty amazing went on atv trails never thought a truck would go there, did I mention its stock with 29" or 28" wheels. Anyways, back to mine I fired it up and it was making noise I thought it was the dreaded timing chain tensioner but sounded like it was coming from the side of the motor. I put in a can of marvel mystery oil and did the 20 minute at 2k rpm and that seems to do the trick, a lot quieter now.

Jeff you said that you can get the diff spacer with the kit, can you tell me how - I was going to order the kit on ebay. Do you have a listing for the spacer or can you include it on the regular listing?

The spacer I was talking about in the previous post is the panhard rod spacer, how important is it with 2" coil spacers? It looks simple enough can I make one or does it need to be precise?

On the brake spacer does anyone have more info on perhaps a link?

Offline jeff1997

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 03:32:28 AM »
You can buy my kit directly from me and save you a little money vs Ebay. Even if you did use Ebay I will just throw the diff spacer in for free. PM me. I have never used a panhard rod spacer so I really cannot comment on that. It does look easy to make so you probably could just make one.
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers

Online fordem

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 06:24:54 AM »
You may be talking about the rear differential spacer. It goes on top of the rear end and spacers the upper Y link to compensate for the 2" coil spacers. I make one and can send it with the lift. It is not "needed" but does help get maximum movement out of the rear. 

Ahhh - rear diff spacer?  Upper Y link??  Are we talking about the same vehicle???

The SideKicks & Trackers have the three link rear end, Grand Vitaras have a five link - I believe the rest of the stuff - spacers, etc., is identical so - let's make sure the kit you're looking at is for the vehicle you have.  Not that it won't work, but you might be scratching your head over a part that's not meant for your vehicle.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Frank84

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 01:42:24 PM »
Exactly what Foredem said - you don't need the spacer for the y-link because you don't have that on your truck.

I've had jeff's kit on my Tracker for a while now and it has been great.  For me, it is just enough lift for the mild wheeling that I do with it.  The rest of the time it still rides perfect down the highway.  Don't forget, plan on an alignment immediately after installation.
2001 2 Door Tracker, 4x4, 2.0, 5 speed, 215/75/15
Jeff's 2" lift, OME shocks/struts, Sh*t on the fly removed, warn hubs

Offline jeff1997

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
Sorry guys, I did not pay attention to the year. I should really read s l o w e r.  :laugh:
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers