Hello Guest

Leaking diff and conversion

• 10 Replies

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
Leaking diff and conversion
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:23:17 AM »
My 5 speed GV's  front diff just started leaking recently on the passenger side.  It's a pretty good leak.  I know this is a common problem with the design, but I guess I can't complain.  After all, I've got 130,000 miles on it.  So....here's the situation/questions.  WARN hubs are being put on right now.  This should stop the front axles from spinning, and hence slow down the leak, right?  Second, I want to do the conversion to the Sidekick diffs with the 5.125 ratio in the future.  I'll be keeping the GV's steel carrier case and axle housing.  Will this eliminate the leak, or  does the problem relate to the housing?  The axle seal is in the diff, right (not the housing)?  Has anyone seen the technical service bulletin on this diff problem?  Thanks in advance for the info.  Looks like I won't be using 4WD anytime soon :(

1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
Re: Leaking diff and conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 09:41:14 AM »
You need to replace the seal on the end of the housing where the axle goes in .  The part is like $2 but it's a pain in the a$$ to pull that shaft out to replace the seal.  The only other issue that I know of with front diff's is for the oil level on 99-02's which to fixyou should jack the front end up like 30 deg. then fill the diff.

George

Offline Davyboy

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 01:20:52 PM »
So swapping diffs won't fix the leak, right?  You're saying the seal is actually on the end of the axle housing?  Thanks.
1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline binkie

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 08:55:44 PM »

My front differential carrier wore out where the RH output shaft rides.  Output shaft was also worn.  The excessive clearance caused the premature seal failure.

Suzuki fixed under goodwill warranty extension, I only paid labour.

After seeing the removed parts, I highly doubt only replacing the seal will provide anything but a short term patch up.  Adding locking hubs to disengage would probably help, though.

If you have this type of leak, this would be a "cheaper" time to install a locker.

Marc

Offline beerman

• Suzuki 4x4 Norway
    • www.tristania.com
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 03:09:20 PM »
front diff's is for the oil level on 99-02's which to fixyou should jack the front end up like 30 deg. then fill the diff.

George

fill 0,2-0,3 litres more than FSM say. that makes it 1,2-1,3L in the diff :)

Offline ngrover

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 08:16:53 PM »
Sorry to go way back in time and revive this thread but I now have a worn front diff. I went to the suzuki dealership to pick up the seal. The guy said he's seen a lot of front diffs replaced at the cost of approx $1000 for parts and $1000 for labor!!!! Is that true? If so I need to get creative because I won't spend $2K on my front diff. I'd rather sell my vit and get one with lower K's or something. Anyway, what is the real solution to this problem? Who has gone through this experience?
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 5spd. 2.5 inch lift, 225/75R16 AT's

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »
Fixing the seal isn't all that hard. Can be done with hand tools in a couple hours as a newbie.

Offline ngrover

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »
Yeah I'm not worried about replacing the seal, I'm worried about the diff being worn. If your seal has leaked in the past try this: grab the axle on the passenger side right where it goes into the diff, try and move it back and forth, any slop? mine has a bit and that is what the dealer was talking about when they said they have rebuilt a number of diffs. Anyway, as it turns out I had a mechanic look at it and he said mine seems fine, he thinks the diffs are being rebuilt because the worn seal causes the diff to run low on oil of which mine is not (and according to him my slop/play isn't that much = I'm a bit paranoid). He also said my seal is still OK as it is only "seeping" and not leaking (IE no oil has leaked to the bottom of the diff and it's not even wet oil)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:55:48 PM by ngrover »

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 06:39:29 AM »
i've had my diff opened by the dealer under warranty more than once, always seems to have a bit of play in the axles.
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline Davyboy

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 10:57:44 AM »
Yeah....my front diff was just done.  Had play in the passenger axle before the work was done, and still has it.  I think it's normal to have a little bit of in and out movement.

Offline ngrover

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 11:36:04 AM »
so now i'm curious, what are the symptoms to needing a new diff? if the dealer is right and it costs $2000 then i dread the day I'll need it repaired. what did it cost you guys?