Hello Guest

converting front diff housing

• 7 Replies

Offline specjockey

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
converting front diff housing
« on: November 28, 2007, 06:41:37 PM »
I have a 2000 Grand Vitara and the front diff housing is worn out on the passenger side. This is the second time. I replaced it once with a used one with low mileage but it didn"t last very long. 30,000 miles or so. my question is, can I convert it to one of the steel ones from an 02 or newer GV and still use the same carrier as I now have 2 of the damn things. Also is the diff housing the same in the Vitara/tracker models. Suzuki gave me about 7 or 8 different part numbers for the different housings but I don"t think the guy had a clue. Are the housings narrower or are the axels just shorter to make up for the difference in the vehicle width. Need help soon as I don't want to wreck the new axels I put in when I did the replacement last time.

Offline bzzr2

Re: converting front diff housing
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »

is it the diff housing itselt that is messed up or just the seals, i don't think changing the whole housing will help your situation if it is just the seals going, you may want to simply replace again and add some manual hubs to reduce the seal wear.  what r u running for lift?
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 03:06:18 PM »
There are two different housings for 99-02 GV MTX, and two for 99-02 ATX.  The difference may well be something like the position of the oil filler.

The Vitara uses a different one again, but that doesn't mean they won't interchange.
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:51:29 AM »
As far as I know, the only difference in 99-02 front axle housings is that the manual transmission GVs have steel housings, and the autos have aluminum.  They interchange with no problems....many have done it to get rid of the cheesy aluminum one.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  Also, if you're having a problem with the seal, there is an updated design.....of course manual hubs are the best solution!

From one of my earlier posts:

....I just had this seal done when I got my 5.12 gears installed.  There are two OEM Suzuki part numbers for that seal:

09283-35008 was the original design, and has been superceded by the new part #09283-35052.  I would try to get the newer design.  I'm assuming it is improved versus the old design.  Good luck.

1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline specjockey

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 06:40:07 PM »
I have an ATX. Can I use a steel housing from an MTX? My housing is no good. right side worn out. Will the carrier from an ATX go into the steel casing from an MTX? Is the casing any different from a tracker/vitara? I have already put manual hubs in when I replaced the casing last time.

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 09:51:35 AM »
Like Bzzr2 said, if it's leaking on the passenger (right) side, it's probably the seal.  That seal is a known problem.  If your housing is damaged, or you want to go with steel (and they are very difficult to find, by the way), you'll probably have to buy it new.  First, try Hawk Suzuki to see if they have one in stock.  They can also confirm that it will fit.

http://hawksuzukiparts.com/

If you have to get one brand new, here is a dealer in Texas that has internet/discount prices on OEM Suzuki parts:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214330

Good Luck!
1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline specjockey

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 02:08:14 PM »
i realize that the seal is gone but my mechanic said there is so much play in the axel shaft that replacing the seal would be a waste of time. I just checked the second link you sent me and it seems that the axle housing is the same price for 99-01 gv as well as 99-30 tracker/vitara. The reason i want to know is that i have found a steel axel housing here in Winnipeg but it is in a 03 tracker w/manual trans. Will I just be able to swap it with mine and still use my carrier and axel assemblies?

Offline binkie

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:13:03 AM »

My front diff was leaking at the front right seal.  Turns out that there is no output bearing for the rh driveshaft, it just sits in the diff.  It is not the housing that is broken, but the diiferential assembly itself, and the shaft is probably worn as well. 

Suzuki actually did goodwill warranty for mine, I only paid labour.  I bought warn hubs to reduce the mileage on my front diff, so I theoretically should not have to replace again.

This might be a good time to think about a locker if you want one in the front.