Hello Guest

Calmini LSD

• 8 Replies

Calmini LSD
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
I cant remember if I have asked about this before.

Im wondering about the Calmini LSD. It says on the web page that the only cars it wont fit is the GV V6 2.5 manual.
Okey.

But I got a 3rd member from a automatic GV that is different, has a 4.88 ratio. The lsd (Limited slip differential) goes in the 3rd member so shouldnt it fit? Its a little hard for me to just go for it since its a little pricy for me here in Iceland.

P.s. I sent this question to calmini them selfs and the answer I got was that an automatic was a transmission and its not possible to have a manual AND automatic transmission in cars... WTF?!?!  ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
Re: Calmini LSD
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »
Hmmmmmm....that sounds like another typical CALMINI response.  I don't know what's up with those guys sometimes  ???
1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 07:36:24 PM »
I tried to buy strut spacers from them, they didn't even know what I was talking about until I very carefully explained what I was talking about.. then they didn't want to break up a kit to make the sale... idiots.

despite that, if I were to lift my zuk again and I wasn't going to ditch the ifs like I really want to do, I would buy a calmini, it's by far the best lift for these rigs, but I wouldn't buy ANYTHING else from them.
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:03:31 PM »
i might of posted this before...

they told me about my 04 V6 auto, that i would have to take the dif apart and measure it.  said there are 2 different kinds/sizes.  i gave up on them....  and i have pretty much given up on any kind of locker >:( :(
2004 chevy tracker, 4door, V6
says 'Chevy' on the outside,
but its covered with lots of big 'S's on the inside ;)

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 09:34:05 AM »
But I got a 3rd member from a automatic GV that is different, has a 4.88 ratio.

If you are swapping in the 4.88 diff from the auto, then the LSD will work.  I remember something about the 4.30 Ring gear being slightly different and won't fit on the LSD, or an ARB for that matter.

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:50:40 PM »
I thought I might purchase an 03 Tracker ZR2 in great shape the other day, and start building it up.  I called CALMINI and asked about whether the crawler t-case gears would fit.  They couldn't give me a solid answer on the phone.  They "should" fit was all they could say.  Like others, my next lift will probably be a CALMINI kit, only because I need new control arms/ball joints and would like the diff brackets.  Other than that, I don't really want to deal with them.  If you want a locker, best bet is just call Trail Tough and order front and rear Sidekick diffs with a Lock-Right already installed.  Best upgrade I've made.  The traction is sick !!!  ;D
1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 01:02:11 PM »
I thought I might purchase an 03 Tracker ZR2 in great shape the other day, and start building it up.  I called CALMINI and asked about whether the crawler t-case gears would fit.  They couldn't give me a solid answer on the phone.  They "should" fit was all they could say.  Like others, my next lift will probably be a CALMINI kit, only because I need new control arms/ball joints and would like the diff brackets.  Other than that, I don't really want to deal with them.  If you want a locker, best bet is just call Trail Tough and order front and rear Sidekick diffs with a Lock-Right already installed.  Best upgrade I've made.  The traction is sick !!!  ;D

I'm with you on that, the longer control arms and diff brackets are pretty much all they have going for them. One of the reasons I didn't buy a calmini kit is that I'd spend all that money just to retain stock travel with a spaced stock strut in the front, I kick myself for not buying a calmini since my control arms are clearly too short for my lift, but it happens.

bottom line though, I think we know more about these rigs than the guys you'll talk to if you call calmini.
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »
Yeah those calmini guys are not up for the task.
And since we are talking about helping the customer I have to give Rocky-Road.com a thumbs up! Since Im here in Iceland its not to easy to ask questions and contactin the sellers but the rocky road guys have this "live help" thing. I tryed it the other day and I got connected right away and had a chat with some guy over there that helped me alot, answered all my questions very directly and gave me price quotes with shipping here to iceland. I was amazed and very pleased with the service!

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 12:04:49 AM »
i checked with calmini about the lsd for my 03 ZR2 4cyl 5spd and was told no go.  i sure can't wait for a real solution to become available. 
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4