Hello Guest

Buying a Vitara or G Vitara. What to look out for?

• 4 Replies

Offline Loyal

Buying a Vitara or G Vitara. What to look out for?
« on: September 17, 2007, 04:10:16 PM »
My 97 4 dr Kick is going to be a dedicated plow rig, so Im looking for a replacement.  Im going to make a jump to the Vitara or Grand Vitara.  I will be considering 1999 – up.  I prefer an automatic, but I will consider a stick.  I will not be considering any modified rigs . . . just considering stock vehicles.

What would be the main problem areas for both the Vitara and Grand Vitara?  Engine, transmission, sensors, etc.

Tks
Loyal

1997 4 Door Kick

nprecon

Re: Buying a Vitara or G Vitara. What to look out for?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »
From my perspective, I look for a solid body, frame and frame components. You can always swap an engine or tranny.... but the body and the frame are forever.  A late model truck (99-2005) shouldn't have excessive rust or damage on any component.  If they were bought new and never waxed or the frames not undercoated or "Zeibarted" and the truck was run on roads with a lot of salt usage in the winter... it's problematic.   I would offer a low-ball price and if they didn't accept it, walk away.  Next I look at the engine for tell-tale leaks and broken components.  The seller should be able to produce some evidence he/she has maintained the truck.   Other than that... I think if you find a truck with a solid body and frame, not wrecked, and tracks true, you'll be good to go.  Like I said above, the engine and transmission  are repairable or replaceable.  These trucks are really well built and tolerate a modicum of abuse gracefully.   I just bought my 7th one... even after I told eveyone on the forum about a month ago that I planned to keep him for awhile, I sold him to my daughter and then bought another exactly like him, same year, 5 spd, 2Liter, etc as he was except this one is navy blue metallic.

Good luck. 

Norm

Silver Lake

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 02:25:26 PM »
Early GV"S had timing chain issues caused by non Zuki oil filters(that do not hold oil in the engine during cold start up) Its about $800.00 to A $ 1000. 00 to fix the problem. You can tell if  one has a problem during cold start up because you  can here the chain rattle.  I own a 2000 GV and i just replaced the main chain , It had a seized chain tensioner. Not a fun job about 15 hours of my time. They also have problems with seized accel and transmission shift cables. If it is a auto and the shift cable is bad it will slam into drive and reverse with you foot on the brake. Easy fix a couple of hours and a $120.00 cable

everready1937

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 03:14:05 AM »
If it is a auto and the shift cable is bad it will slam into drive and reverse with you foot on the brake. Easy fix a couple of hours and a $120.00 cable

Hi,

It would be awesome if you could give me some more info on this tranny repair. My wifes' 99 GV does this when the engine is cold. I was told that it could be the cable or a stuck valve in the tranny (not a cheap fix)
Anyone else that know the fix is more than welcome to chime in.

Great forum and thanks for the help.

Al

everready1937

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 06:40:06 PM »
Well, first of all, the transmission was way overfilled. I had taken the GV in to a local garage and had the transmission fluid/filter changed, hoping it would solve the jerking problem. They put way too much fluid in. So much for my business in the future. Anyway, I drained some fluid out, added some Seafoam. Then I took the TV cable off of at the bracket that mounts to the top of the engine, held it vertically and sprayed some Liquid Wrench in the cable housing. I let it set for a few minutes and then started working the cable back and forth manually. Viola!!!!! it came loose. So I reconnected the cable to the engine and fired the GV up. I put it into reverse, nice and smooth, no jerking. So I don't know if it was because the tranny was overfilled or because I got the cable working. Either way I'm a pretty happy guy. I figure I saved about $350.00 for parts and labor.
 Today I started changing the gear lube in the differentials and the tranfer case. Note: make sure you can get the fill plugs loose *before* you drain out the fluid. I had anticipated this and I'm glad I did. I had one heck of the time getting the fill plug loose on the rear diff. I also brought the oil inside the house to warm up. It pours like molasses when it's cold outside. I made a funnel out of a milk jug and a piece of plastic tubing. The oil is still draining into the diff, it's been at least an hour.

Al