Hello Guest

Body Lift

• 16 Replies

Keke

Body Lift
« on: December 12, 2007, 07:01:30 AM »
OK, I've got a 2003 Chevy Tracker (4 door) and I just finished installing the Old Man Emu springs, shocks and struts (along with the 1" coil spacers from Rocky Road). I've got some Bridgestone 235/75/15 tires on the factory 15" wheels. The tires measure 29" tall, and with the 1" wheels spacers I installed, there is no rubbing at all.

Now that that's all done, I want to go even bigger. I've seen a 2" body lift from MasterKit in Montreal that has all the bits and pieces (brake line extensions, bumper relocation brackets, steering extension, shifter extensions) that should allow me to run some 31" tall tires. The thing is, the OME springs gave the Tracker a nice ride, and the Bridgestone Revo's are some wicked tires in almost all conditions (way better that the Uniroyal crap the factory had on) so none of the modifications have had an adverse affect on handling. But what about a body lift?

How much of an affect does the body lift have on ride. Does it feel very tippy when driving on road? Along with some off road play, this is also my daily driver, and I don't want to make it undriveable (or scary to drive).

What are your experiences with body lifts?

Offline bzzr2

Re: Body Lift
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 07:24:50 AM »
if you want bigger tires you'll want the body lift.  it doesn't make the tracker tippy or anything of the sort.  sure the weight of the body is lifted up higher but not a big deal.  along with making room for bigger tires you'll get your rocker panels further away from rocks then add some 31's to get the extra inch of clearance under the frame and axle's and you'll be happy you did it.  as for masterkit, good luck dealing with them, i emailed them and i'd like to say it's a language barrier but i just think they're right on par with calmini in customer service...  i have the rocky road body lift, shipping and service was good, i have not used the brake line extensions as they were not needed.
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Keke

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:58:33 AM »
I spoke with Monsieour Pierre at Masterkit, and yes there is a little language issue, but I guess those 8 years of French in public school came in handy. I could communicate with him (verbally at least) without too much trouble.

Whether to go with Masterkit or RockyRoad (for half the price) is an issue for a later date. What I am worried about it affect on On-Road handling. The extra inch from the 31's would be great, and getting the body further away from the ground would be good; but at what cost.

An other experiences (good or bad) with a body lift on a Tracker / GV?

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:57:35 AM »
I have the RR body lift and 245 75 16s (31s) on my GV.  I had the same concerns as you, so I decided along with the body lift I would buy Spidertrax 1" wheel spacers for all four corners.  My argument was that increasing the track width by a couple of inches would help to offset the higher center of gravity....simple physics.  Plus it helps keep the tires from rubbing the frame, something that WILL HAPPEN with 31s and no spacers.  I feel better about it now.  My GV seems extremely stable....and mine is a daily driver (20,000+ miles per year).  Yes, the center of gravity is higher, making you more prone to rollover during EXTREME maneuvers, but I drive very spirited and it does not feel tippy at all.  Unlike say, a Porsche, you don't want to try split second lane maneuvers to avoid hitting an animal.....but, as long as you're a competent and cool-headed driver you'll be absolutely fine!  My two cents....................
1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:58:59 AM »
BTW......I would consider the Masterkit body lift if it's not too much money.  The bumper relocation brackets would be worth it for a quick/clean install.
1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Keke

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:13:13 AM »
I laughed when I read:

.... you don't want to try split second lane maneuvers to avoid hitting an animal.....

I thought you were going to say instead of trying to avoid it just run the mutherf**ker over!

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 08:44:21 PM »
3 1/8" homemade body lift with no sway bar, feels pretty good.   and i can now run over even bigger animals >:D

the bumpers and steering shaft are a pain, and dont forget the fuel inlet pipe, and my favorite the intake and outlet hoses to the heater core, i split mine a week after the lift so watch it.  otherwise, do it, i love some of the rocks i can go over now!! :o
2004 chevy tracker, 4door, V6
says 'Chevy' on the outside,
but its covered with lots of big 'S's on the inside ;)

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 07:03:54 AM »
keke, i've got no language barrier issues with masterkit...  je parle francais.  your tracker will be higher, so the risks of rollover in extreme conditions will be higher, just like any other higher vehicle on the road but taking corners and so on you will not feel like you might tip over.  overall though it gets things out of the way on the trail much better due to the clearance under your rocker, you'll get a solid 3 inches under there!  very usefull in my opinion.  davyboy makes a good point about the wheel spacers and stability.  i have no spacers, stock wheels and a 9.5 wide tire, still have the sway bar on, dd mine everywhere i go and have no issues, before the tracker i drove a lowered mustang, other than being taller the ride quality is about the same!  go for it!

should also mention that if you plan to play hard at all, you are going to lose those plastic bumpers from time to time and have to re-attach them, the plastic is junk that you will have to keep messing with.  but that's just a personal thing, they do look better attached but i painted mine up with bed liner and they look alright.  do a quick search, there is another thread specifically about the masterkit body lift. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 07:25:44 AM by bzzr2 »

Keke

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 06:56:46 PM »
Well, now I'm not nearly so worried. That's what I was looking for...other guys who drive the same vehicle who have already done a body lift and not hated it.

On a side note (not to start another thread here) but my Tracker was a lowest of the low base model, and came with 15" x 5.5" steel wheels. When I went to put the 235/75-15's on those rims, I had noticed on a few websites (like 1010tires.com) that a rim width of 6" to 8.5" is recommended. The guys at the tire shop insisted that the rim being narrower (only 5.5" wide) would not pose a problem, and that it would not pop the bead. He suggested that it was the opposite. A narrower rim would hold the bead even better.

But going up to a 31" x 10.5" x 15" tire sound pretty wide for such a little wheel. Any experience running tires this wide on  rims this narrow. I wouldn't mind to buy a set of American Racing steelies, but I've heard there can be clearance issues trying to get aftermarket wheels to clear the calipers on Trackers and GV's.

Any thoughts?

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 09:37:47 PM »
do the body lift and tires, see how it feels, should be ok but if you want more stability go for wider rims that are offset, will correct the frame rub and stability and also get rid of any concerns about the tire/rim widths.  new rims are probably the same price as wheel spacers.  i think with the tracker 4cyl we are ok because we don't have the larger calipers like the gv's.  somebody correct me if that's not true.  attached is a pic of mine with no bumper covers.  31's are looking small..

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 08:59:42 AM »
I have the CALMINI GV 3" body lift with the H/D strut brace.  Install was timely, but straight forward.  Fits 31"s with the 2.5" lift in combo.

And no, you can't have one yet.  Call and ask when they will release, as the field testing worked out great.

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 05:17:31 PM »
Y-T, what is the width of the 31s?

my 30x11.5 rub on the frame just a little.  want to goto 32s...

Keke, my tires are on 7" wide rims, they fit but i think 8" would have been better.

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 08:24:25 PM »
Y-T, what is the width of the 31s?

LT245/75R16.  I just touch the frame at full turn, and a touch on the A-arms.  A lot of the foo-foo hade to be cut to make them fit when twisted up.

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 07:32:35 PM »
i havent' cut or trimmer anything for compressed fitment.  the tires would just touch the inner plastic clip that holds the fender flare on enough to pop it out.  i took it out and put some good glue instead of the clip.  i do rub the frame on sharp turns though.  i have to admit that i wouldn't mind having some in inch wheel spacers though, for the added stability on the off camber stuff and a sharper turning radius around tight areas.

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 08:04:17 PM »
the tires would just touch the inner plastic clip that holds the fender flare on enough to pop it out.  i took it out and put some good glue instead of the clip.  i do rub the frame on sharp turns though.  i have to admit that i wouldn't mind having some in inch wheel spacers though, for the added stability on the off camber stuff and a sharper turning radius around tight areas.

i did that same thing with my trim.  i had 1" wheel spacers that fixed my tire rubbing on the frame but made the tire catch so bad on the fender flare it would have ripped it off.  your just trading one problem for another.