Hello Guest

Bent Front wheels.. is this normal?

• 13 Replies

Offline ATW_SGP

Bent Front wheels.. is this normal?
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:00:10 AM »
Hi Guys,

I recently realised that my front wheels seems to be bending inwards, not too sure if it's normal. Anyone has similiar experiences, or am i being paranoid?

Thanks in advance

Offline samuraidan

• speak softly, and carry a big stick
    • City Ranger
Re: Bent Front wheels.. is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »
you need an alignment. badly.

you're camber is way off.
'00 Vitara 2.0L 5spd w/ Jeff's lift, SR Customs body lift, 5.13's, rear locker, SR Customs steel pinion collar, 1.25" wheel spacers, 15x7, 31x10.5R15 Dynapro MT's.

Offline ATW_SGP

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »
Okie man! Thanks a billion! That doesnt seem normal!
I just replaced my Gasket Casing on the passenger side..

Rgds

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:36:45 AM »
Does that vehicle have some sort of suspension lift fitted?  Coil spacers or longer springs?

From the factory the only thing alignment adjustment is toe-in - the camber is fixed.

If the vehicle has been lifted, you'll need to get a set of camber adjustment bolts from an accessory manufacturer - Engalls Engineering should have - if the vehicle has not been lifted, you have a suspension problem that needs to be identified and corrected.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline ATW_SGP

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
Hey,
Yes my ride is lifted.. 3" suspension lift.
should i get the clamber adjustment kit from Rocky Road?

Rgds

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:10:50 PM »
If that's where you got the lift kit then yes - they should know what's needed - and should have suggested that you buy it along with the lift kit.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 07:09:23 AM »
you could also slot the lower strut holes making more room for adjustment, i've heard guys have had to to this a bit even with camber bolts, if you have a true increase in front of 3inches you might be slotting either way.
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 07:43:07 AM »
If you just had the lift installed recently, you might consider driving your truck for no more than 50+/- miles/75Kms to settle the front suspension in then get the camber set.  50 miles won't kill your tire tread but I wouldn't drive it any farther with the camber off.
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 09:42:50 AM »
Did you adjust your toe after you did the lift? Toe effects camber on this type of suspension. So, if you set you toe-in back to a 'normal' setting the camber will settle in quite a bit. It probably won't be enough but it's a start. Then you can drive it to the alignment shop.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Online fordem

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:09:39 AM »
you could also slot the lower strut holes making more room for adjustment, i've heard guys have had to to this a bit even with camber bolts, if you have a true increase in front of 3inches you might be slotting either way.

I'm not really in favour of "slotted" strut holes - I've had problems with the camber changing because it's impossible to tighten the bolts down enough to hold - I have seen some guys use large washers on the outside of the struts and after completeing alignment, tack welding the washers to the strut to hold things in one place.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline samuraidan

• speak softly, and carry a big stick
    • City Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »

I'm not really in favour of "slotted" strut holes - I've had problems with the camber changing because it's impossible to tighten the bolts down enough to hold - I have seen some guys use large washers on the outside of the struts and after completeing alignment, tack welding the washers to the strut to hold things in one place.

I had my strut holes slotted after installing my lift. Indeed the bolts did come loose (or were not properly tightened by the alignment shop) and the camber went out again.

I took it back to the shop and they reset the camber and tacked on a washer to make sure it could not become misaligned again. Grade 8 bolts and a stove nut were also installed to ensure nothing would ever break or come loose. I've been driving the truck everyday for several weeks with no problems.
'00 Vitara 2.0L 5spd w/ Jeff's lift, SR Customs body lift, 5.13's, rear locker, SR Customs steel pinion collar, 1.25" wheel spacers, 15x7, 31x10.5R15 Dynapro MT's.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
If you can't get camber adjusters from the vendor, you can order a set of Specialty Products camber bolts  (MUCH more reliable than slotting the strut holes!) from you local auto parts (factors?) store.

Here is a video describing the instalation from Specialty products:

http://www.iapdirect.com/pictures/EZCam1.wmv

I hope that this helps!

Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline ATW_SGP

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 01:46:06 PM »
Thanks Guys..
would take the car back to the shop on Monday, as it's the festive season now.
Been driving my car and some offroading,not much change to the ride feel.. but yea, would get it sorted out asap.

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »
Slotting is OK, if everything is good and tight,  welding the washer is good insurance too. 

FWIW, mine are slotted, stock bolts, lock-washers, non-welded...and still lined up after 22,000 miles, and one really sick jump >:D(and a few little ones)
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954