Hello Guest

Aw Crap. Front diff? Ok, what are my options? Did I miss anything?

• 62 Replies

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
Re: Aw Crap. Front diff? Ok, what are my options? Did I miss anything?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2009, 01:06:35 PM »
chromo'd Toy axles will definately cure the broken axle problem of the GV.

I've got some Toy axles, so I'll probably be right behind ya... and dual case - corrected gearing for 35" tires.... hmmmm.... Looks like I need to learn me how to do a coil / link setup.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 11:23:57 AM »
So I think the axle clutch is the problem for me rather than the actuator. 
That sounds right to me.  I'm thinking that once the engagement surfaces have been rounded by the slippage, the only way is replacement?

I also have the clunk,,,, it is costant in the sand.  I have the diff out of the car now.  I expected to find broken parts but no it all looks good and the year old zip ties that I hoped would fix were still in place.  Has anyone welded the clutch solid?  Can this be done? 

Online fordem

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2009, 09:45:48 AM »
Is the "clunk" actually from the diff?  There is an engagement hub in the transfer case that is known to produce similar noises, and it also causes the lever to jump from 4-Hi back to 2-Hi.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »
It is the front diff.  No issues with transfer case coming out of gear.  It is loud and makes a clunk,clunk,clunk noise almost constantly when you really want traction.  Unlocking the hubs fixes it.

I would really like to fix this for good.  Has anyone ever tried to fix instead of replace with sidekick 3rd member?  I called around and finding the 96,97,98 from japan with manual is not available in my area(Sacramento).  Would other years work?  What about a Sami 3rd?

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 10:04:48 AM »
Is the "clunk" actually from the diff?  There is an engagement hub in the transfer case that is known to produce similar noises, and it also causes the lever to jump from 4-Hi back to 2-Hi.

Maybe it is the TC... I replaced the front and rear 3rd members from a 95 sidekick. 5.12 finally, woohoo!  Anyhow hit the trail yesterday and the clunk occured about the same as before. This sucks.  Any fix for the TC?  I was in 4-lo I haven't really used 4-hi.

Online fordem

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »
There's a replacement engagement hub and gear combo that supposedly fixes it - I think the shape of the teeth were changed.  I'll try to find the details for you.

Edit - take a look at this thread.

http://www.auszookers.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4947&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Be sure to read through the thread, there are part numbers in some of the later posts.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:27:28 AM by fordem »
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »
I read through it and the authors seem to seperate the issues one is the clunk the other is the shifter coming out of gear.
They suggest replacing the 3rd member for the clunk. Which I have done. And the gears for the slippery shifter.
I have not used 4H enough to rule it out, but seems like an expensive fix.
I get a loud clunk when traction is needed.  The diff is open. The clunk noise seems to radiate out through whichever side is trying to turn.
While watching the CV shafts during a clunking episode you can see the shaft try to turn then the loud clunk then the other side will do the same.  If you stay on the throttle it starts to sound like techno music. :P
Is the TC chain driven?  Does it have a clutch or something in it designed to slip?

Offline gravity_powered

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »
I had my front diff center rebuilt a while ago and it made no difference to the problem.

I Have just fitted a 2nd hand T-case from a 2004 model and the problem is gone. If you can find a good 2nd hand T-case from a post 2002 vehicle for the right price, I think it is more cost effective than rebuilding the old one.
'98 2.5 V6 Grand Vitara
TJM Bullbar
Lightforce 170 driving lights
Wombat Racks roof rack
235/70/16 Toyo Open Country A/T

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2009, 03:52:47 PM »
I had my front diff center rebuilt a while ago and it made no difference to the problem.

I Have just fitted a 2nd hand T-case from a 2004 model and the problem is gone. If you can find a good 2nd hand T-case from a post 2002 vehicle for the right price, I think it is more cost effective than rebuilding the old one.

Good to hear.  Thanks for the reply.  Is the TC the same in the Tracker and Grand Vitara with any motor option?  Sorry to be a pain.

Sean 

Offline sir lance

• I love my XL-7
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »
the trans output spline countinto the t-case on the manual and auto's are different......

on a v6 anyway, not sure on others

-Lance

02' XL-7 1 Ton axles, dual t-cases 37's etc......
Trucks are built not bought*********

Online fordem

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
I read through it and the authors seem to seperate the issues one is the clunk the other is the shifter coming out of gear.

That's because there are two different scenarios that can cause the clunk - one is the front diff and the other is the transfer case - the front diff clunk is caused by the air operated SOTF diff clutch jumping a tooth - and the transfer case clunk is caused by the engagement dogs jumping a tooth.  IF the transfer case is in 4H it will jump back to 2H, if it's in 4L it can't.

You've already replaced the front 3rd member - presumably you no longer have the air operated SOTF diff clutch - if that is correct, then you're most likely getting the noise from the transfer case.  If, on the other hand, you still have the air operated SOTF setup, then, you may still be getting the clunk from the diff.

Is the TC chain driven?  Does it have a clutch or something in it designed to slip?

Yes the TC does have a chain, it drives the front output shaft, and as far as I'm aware, no there is nothing inside designed to slip.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2009, 07:22:27 AM »
Yes, I replace the air actuated diff.  I used front and rear 3rd members from a 95 non jap Suzuki Sidekick, I used the inner long shaft and the CV from the sidekick and swapped everything into my housing.  The CV was shorter so I cut it and welded to my vitara CV.  I used my 99 housing because it uses 4 bolts on the upper mount and the 95 only had 3, figured 4 is better.
PicnPull charged me $200.00 for everything.
The 5.12 gears feel great I drove it this morning.  5th gear,,,I had forgotten all about it.
I no longer have the 4wd light.  I read I need to plug both hoses on air pump.  Has this been solved any other way.  Does it matter if it comes on or not?
OK so I will loook for a manual TC 2002 or newer.  If I find one should I swap the whole thing or just the bad gear/cog?  And lastly does it matter what engine?

Online fordem

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »
If the light is important to you plug the hose that goes from the pump to the diff - or - rewire the 4WD switch on the transfercase to drive the light directly.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline gravity_powered

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2009, 04:34:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure the V6's have a different T-case to the 4 cylinder models.

Mine was jumping out of 4WD by the way.
'98 2.5 V6 Grand Vitara
TJM Bullbar
Lightforce 170 driving lights
Wombat Racks roof rack
235/70/16 Toyo Open Country A/T

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »
Thanks for all the help i'm looking for a TC.  Im wandering do I swap the whole thing or just the gears?