Hello Guest

02 GV Leaking Auto Trans Fluid Periodically. Getting frustrated.

• 3 Replies

I have a 2002 GV Auto that was leaking some trans fluid when I bought it . They flushed and filled the auto tranny and sure enough, it was still leaking. Took back to them, they topped off, cleaned the underside and told me to drive it a couple weeks and bring back to determine actual leak point. I did just that and they stated that they replaced the oil pan seal and tightened up some loose nuts on the bell housing which may have been the leak point and tightened up a couple of nuts on some tubes connected to the tranny where fluid is routed. I brought it home and no leak for like a week. I drove it and come home drove again and noticed a leak. This leak appears to come and go. No leak for a week and then I back it out of the garage and there a nice size deposit on the floor . This is really getting frustrating. I have taken this thing to the Suzuki dealer 4 times now about this. Can anyone suggest what may be causing it? It is pink fluid so I am sure it is auto tranny fluid. Are there any common leak points with the 02 auto tranny. I am beginning to think this is a money pit. I just had to have the rear bearings/seals done on the axle at 926.00 dollars. I am afraid of what might be next. Should I ditch it for a Honda? I thought these things were pretty bulletproof. Sorry about the rant. I am spent!

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
Re: 02 GV Leaking Auto Trans Fluid Periodically. Getting frustrated.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »
Sure, you've been unlucky, but what makes you think you wouldn't have been with a Honda?  Nothing is 100% reliable.  "Bulletproof" means low probablility of failure, but not zero.
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »
I agree that nothing is 100% reliable or bulletproof (some better than others)  but my past experience tells me the story. I have owned 3 Honda's and 5 Toyota's in the past all with high miles and some over 150 and 200K without a hint of problems besides normal maintenance items like tires/brakes etc. My corolla had 202k on it and never needed bearings or had any leaks. Only thing I replaced on it in 62k of ownership is a timing belt and brake pads/oil changes. Everything else was original and I beat that car pretty badly. My GV has 93k miles and has been giving me fits. My last Suzuki/samurai had problems too. I take it you have never owned a Honda or Toyota. Nothing against Zuks but there is an obvious difference in the two auto makers.

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 11:18:52 PM »
I have three Suzukis, all built in Japan:

'92 Cappuccino
'96 X-90
'98 GV

High mileages are not that significant in my view; it's the number of heat/cool cycles which ages the machinery.

No issues, no complaints.  I love 'em.
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.