Hello Guest

NEWS: Nissan, Suzuki to expand cooperation - SUZUKI PICKUP IN 2008!

• 30 Replies

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Nissan, Suzuki to expand cooperation

Reuters / June 2, 2006 - 10:00 am
TOKYO -- Japan's Nissan Motor Co. and Suzuki Motor Corp. said on Friday they would broaden their business ties to include the use of each other's manufacturing facilities in emerging markets such as India.

Nissan, Japan's second-biggest automaker, and Suzuki, a top maker of compact cars, said the agreement would also see an increased exchange of vehicles supplied under each other's badges in a move aimed at boosting sales and economies of scale.

Automakers around the world have been relying more and more on strategic tie-ups to share development costs and jointly operate manufacturing facilities to survive tougher competition.

The latest deal also heightens speculation that Nissan could eventually aim to take a sizable equity stake in Suzuki after General Motors sold off all but 3 percent of its 20 percent holding of Suzuki shares in March.

Many analysts have since said that Nissan could benefit from Suzuki's reach in emerging markets such as India, and its expertise in building small cars.

Suzuki President Hiroshi Tsuda, however, strongly denied the possibility of a capital tie-up, while Nissan Chief Operating Officer Toshiyuki Shiga said a capital alliance was not discussed during the talks that led to Friday's agreement.

"I want to make it very clear: We are not thinking about a capital tie-up at all," Tsuda said. He repeated that Suzuki would continue only operational cooperation with GM.

From the end of this year, Nissan will supply a minivan to Suzuki on an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) basis, while Suzuki will build another minivehicle for its partner. Both products are aimed at the Japanese market.

Elsewhere, Nissan will supply a compact pickup truck to Suzuki, mainly for sale in North America from 2008. Suzuki, in return, will provide a new "A" segment vehicle for Nissan, mainly for sale in Europe.

The two companies also said they would aim to utilise each other's manufacturing facilities in emerging markets to help achieve deeper cost reductions through bigger volumes.

INDIA PRODUCTION

They declined to provide a time line or other specifics, but said they would start with production of Nissan brand cars by Suzuki at the latter's facilities in India.

The head of Maruti Udyog Ltd., Suzuki's Indian unit, said the deal meant further expansion would be required to meet Nissan's needs and also that local automobile component manufacturers would benefit from a ramp up in production.

"Certainly, further expansion will have to take place," Maruti's Managing Director Jagdish Khattar told reporters in New Delhi.

"Once we work out the details, yes investments will be required for further expansion. We have to work out where and how to get those investments."

New Delhi-based Maruti is India's top car maker and is 54.2 percent-owned by Suzuki. Over 70 percent of its output is compact cars.

"This expansion is part of Nissan's continuing drive into new market segments and further global expansion, as set out in the Nissan Value-Up business plan," Shiga told a news conference in Tokyo.

Suzuki's Tsuda also said the expansion of the alliance would boost production volume and strengthen the company's global competitiveness.

Nissan, held 44 percent by France's Renault SA, has given production of the 660cc Moco minicar to Suzuki, which sells the model as the MR Wagon under its own badge.

Nissan in turn builds a small number of Suzuki's Jimny cars in Thailand.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 11:34:30 AM by ebewley »
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: NEWS: Nissan, Suzuki to expand cooperation
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:33:11 AM »

Elsewhere, Nissan will supply a compact pickup truck to Suzuki, mainly for sale in North America from 2008. Suzuki, in return, will provide a new "A" segment vehicle for Nissan, mainly for sale in Europe.

Finally, a pickup available in the US?

-Eric
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 09:43:37 AM by ebewley »
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Flork

Re: NEWS: Nissan, Suzuki to expand cooperation - SUZUKI PICKUP IN 2008!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 02:49:29 PM »
Body on frame I hope...

None of this unibody crap that's passing for pick-up's these days...*cough!, Honda, cough!*...
91 2dr., 3spd auto, 5.12's, 30x9.5 BFG AT's on 15x7's, Calmini exhaust and plates.

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 08:09:15 PM »
If it tows alot I will buy one.

Offline urbanwheeler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 03:41:01 AM »
Hondas truck isnt a truck. It is a front wheel/all wheel drive Yuppie and city slicker transport vehicle. It for the most part is a car(based suv) with a small open compartment in the back that is made of plastic(like the bumpers) that is referred to as a truck bed so that the yuppies that buy them can feel like they have a real truck(with a 6 ft long bed that cant hold anything of use) when in reality they have a honda pilot with an uber ugly front end and a wanna be poser "bed" ;D ;D ;D. What happened to metal beds, they were much better because they had hick appeal ;) ;D.
Runnin' it stock with 225/75R15s and an unmodified 8valve TBI motor (I need a doug thoroley header and a cam) (more power) (1.6 liters of madness) (vroom + sewing machine sounds)

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 05:38:51 AM »
This is what we get in OZ from Nissan  http://www.nissan.com.au/navaradual/

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 06:17:26 AM »
If they bring a Nissan based pickup to North America I'd bet money it'd be based on the Frontier.  It's made here, sold here, and a proven package.  If I could afford one I'd get one. :P

Hey cj, does the Navara have coil springs up front or torsion bars?

Offline Agent Orange

• Trying to learn
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 07:58:11 AM »
hard to speculate what it would look like. i hope it's a mid to mini sized pickup, with the cab, and box on a frame, a 2spd transfer case, and solid rear axle. i could use a mini pickup 4x4.

Offline cj

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 06:01:49 PM »

Hey cj, does the Navara have coil springs up front or torsion bars?

Double wishbones and coils up front and a solid axle with leaf springs at the rear. It is based on the Pathfinder chassis and we get the option of a 4l V6 (198kW|removethispart|@5600rpm & 385Nm|removethispart|@4000rpm) or a 2.5l turbo diesel (128kW|removethispart|@4000rpm & 403Nm|removethispart|@2000rpm) and a 5spd auto or a 6spd manual. low range is 2.625:1.

The Navara we get is a slightly different version of the Frontier from the Spanish factory

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 07:38:50 PM »
Ooooh...nice....coil IFS, solid rear, turbodiesel...

where's the damn drooling icon? :P

Offline Jookycola

• 1995 Tracker LSi 4x4 16v 2-door
    • My car domain site for the tracker.
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 01:13:57 AM »
The Nissan Navara sold in Aussie markets is just the previous generation Frontier pick-up that was sold in the U.S. since 2000.  so that won't be it at all.  And if it is a Suzuki version of the N.A. Frontier...ihope they do more to it to make it look like a Suzuki and not just a Nissan Frontier with Suzuki badges.
  [/url]

Offline cj

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 03:37:45 AM »
The Nissan Navara sold in Aussie markets is just the previous generation Frontier pick-up that was sold in the U.S. since 2000.  so that won't be it at all.  And if it is a Suzuki version of the N.A. Frontier...ihope they do more to it to make it look like a Suzuki and not just a Nissan Frontier with Suzuki badges.

I don't think so. You may be thinking of the old Navara.

Offline Trail Rabbit

• Neither here nor there
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 08:10:09 PM »
I've been into Mopars muscle cars and trucks my whole life and it was a sad day when Cry-co switched to wrong wheel drive. I've just started geting into Suzukis now that the big block stuff has become insanely exspensive, both to own and drive. 
It took 25-30 years for that to happen, so it's safe to say that people won't be asking stupidy high prices for Samurai or Tracker trucks/parts until 2015-2020, if ever.

Feels like deja-vu all over again with the end of real off-road Suzukis.

Let's face it, most people don't want an SUV for off-roading or real work, but for the feeling of status and safety from its size. Suzuki is just following the money, it's hard to fault them for that.

BOT: I hate the new X
'00 2Dr Tracker W/ 4Cyl, Auto Trans and Manual Hubs and 235/75R15 Gen Grabber AT2
Way too stock....

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 10:51:44 AM »
 8) Visions of a bob-tailed Suzuki 4x4 PU on 33's towing the Kick across country  8) Or the Dune concept Vitara with a Frontier style shorrt bed on the back instead of a hatch  :o

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 03:06:03 PM »
8) Visions of a bob-tailed Suzuki 4x4 PU on 33's towing the Kick across country  8)

Zig

Make it a quadcab diesel and I'd buy it.  Especially if it was based on the Frontier!