Hello Guest

Wax pellet/high idle fix?

• 5 Replies

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
Wax pellet/high idle fix?
« on: November 20, 2005, 04:07:46 PM »
My '90 idles around 2500rpm when you first start it.  Wax pellet problem?

How do you fix this again?  I've done it in the past but it's been several years and now I don't remember where to start. :P

Offline zuksofhazzard

• them darn Zuk boys
    • MOAB PICS
Re: Wax pellet/high idle fix?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 04:18:33 PM »
If I remember right, there is a small access panel on the passenger side of the throttle body. It is held on with 3 screws.

Remove the cover.

Put a small piece of tight fitting hose on the nipple, with the other end plugged, with a screw or bolt.

Reinstall the cover.

What is happening is there is a vacuum leak. That is allowing it to suck air. The piece of hose you are using, is making a tight seal. Your high idle choke setting will not work now. It will take a little longer for your engine to warm up.

Maybe someone will provide you with the link, but this is about the best I remember.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 06:10:15 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 11:33:45 AM »
If I remember right, there is a small access panel on the passenger side of the throttle body. It is held on with 3 screws.

Remove the cover.

Put a small piece of tight fitting hose on the nipple, with the other end plugged, with a screw or bolt.

Reinstall the cover.

What is happening is there is a vacuum leak. That is allowing it to suck air. The piece of hose you are using, is making a tight seal. Your high idle choke setting will not work now. It will take a little longer for your engine to warm up.

Maybe someone will provide you with the link, but this is about the best I remember.
Yep, you can fix it that way.  Or you can turn the thing with all the "bumps" on it that is underneath that cover.  Turn it clock-wise (in) to lower the cold idle.
There is no high idle choke setting (he is running an EFI engine).
I also thought it had to do with the wax pellet "wearing" with age.  Not with vacuum leaks, but I could be wrong.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline maybe2fast

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 12:51:40 PM »
my 90 idles really high 2500 to 3000 till it warms up and then idles fine, is this normal?

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 05:44:29 PM »
my 90 idles really high 2500 to 3000 till it warms up and then idles fine, is this normal?

Normal?  I don't know, but most, if not all, the EFI samurai's seem to idle 2500-3K at cold startup.
I would idle it down, if I were you.  Think about it, you crank a cold engine and it instantly goes to 2500 RPM.  Not good on an engine, in my opinion.
I adjusted mine down to about 1500.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.