Hello Guest

Front suspension & wheel bearings

• 2 Replies

Offline Mechaneck

Front suspension & wheel bearings
« on: November 14, 2005, 08:35:21 PM »
Working on a 2wd to 4wd conversion and installing coil spring spacers and have a couple questions.

1) While disassembling my wheel bearings on both the 4wd donor and the 2wd I found a shim/washer between the adjusting nut and the outer bearing cone on the driver side but not on the passenger side.  Is this correct?  and what is it's function?

2) My front diff frame mounts are a bit spongy feeling and the bolt sleeve is begining to seperate from the rubber on one.  None of the local parts houses can find a listing for them and GM wants $50 each :o   Also checked the polyurethane suppliers I'm familiar with.  Has anyone found an aftermarket supplier for them?

I also had questions about premature bearing wear with 15X8 3.75" backspace wheels and strut tower bracing, but found a lot of good info by searching.

Great site!  8)

Thanks,
Mech
'91 2 Dr Tracker 4wd 5 spd, converted from 2wd

Offline mbmarkyb

• UK Vitara
Re: Front suspension & wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 09:31:52 AM »
you need that spacer in there its what that side of the bearing runs around on other wise it the locking wheel

maybe the last owner forgot to put it back easy mistake.

I am running 32mm spacers on a set of 15x8  33.12s and with slight camber issues i would change front bearings at least once a year if not twice.
bear in mind I mainly hit mud /sand and water.
Markyb (UK)
UK Vitara JLX SE

Offline Mechaneck

Re: Front suspension & wheel bearings
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 02:20:04 PM »
So I should have one on each side??

I wasn't sure if it was to keep the bearing from being directly on the nut or maybe a selective shim for bearing pre-load, seeing as the adjuster goes so tight.

My cheapy manual does not show anything, Factory manual is on it's way.

Thanks,
Mech
'91 2 Dr Tracker 4wd 5 spd, converted from 2wd