Hello Guest

Tires.... again.

• 23 Replies

Offline dustyz

• Leaving a trail wherever I go...
Tires.... again.
« on: November 14, 2005, 11:06:42 AM »
235/75's to be exact...

I have read more past posts than I can handle... and they just keep confusing me more and more.

I have a bone stock 92 conv tracker. I will be ordering a set of spacers from digger this week... and plan on doing a 2" body lift later. I originally wanted to go with a 30-31" x 9.5-10.5" tire, but after riding in my dads tracker this weekend, I have changed my mind. He has small and narrow ?215?'s with a little meat and could go anywhere I could ever imagine I would take mine. I have settled on purchasing a set of meaty but reasonable 235/75's. Now, since I don't know exactly what I want here, and everyone seems to be offering different ideas on what is the best, give me the run down.

I want a tire that can be driven on a daily basis. Road noise isn't really too much of a concern. I want a tire that has a really aggressive look... something that stands out. Maybe even have a little side tread on it. I don't want tires you would see on the basic everyday driven pick-up truck. But, I want to be able to drive it in the snow/mud/rain and maintain a decent ride on dry pavement. Someone posted about the Cooper Discoverer STT a while back... will these work fine with the 1.5" spacers until I get my body lift on? They have the look I am seeking...

Any other tire recommendations?

Thanks!
---
dustyz

'92 Tracker 4x4 Auto

Offline Cwkick

Re: Tires.... again.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 11:50:02 AM »
BF Goodrich All Terrain K/O's!

They fit very well with a two inch lift, and will do everything you are asking them to do!

A very good tire!  Imho!

Cwkick

Offline dustyz

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 11:58:27 AM »
I have considered them, but they don't look agressive enough for me...

I will keep them in mind, but I am seeking a tire that looks similar but a bit more "practical" to...

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifensucher.pl?ID=froogle&typ=KH_5426&Country=US

...these. :)
---
dustyz

'92 Tracker 4x4 Auto

Offline Cwkick

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 12:11:29 PM »
Actually those are a bit less practical.

What I mean by that is those are a mud tire.

What you described was an all terrain.  I do think the mud tires look great, but they will have some shortcomings on the street and in the rain.

I looked at mud tires before I decided on the BFG A/T's.  I figured they would do everything pretty well and they did!

It is all about what YOU want and what you will see yourself doing in your rig.

Cwkick

Offline da_tub

• oops...can we still back up>?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 12:14:56 PM »
i run 235 75r 15,s on my stock kick. no lift  no nothing .. not even a rub. so if that helps a bit between  your delema on 215,s or 235"'s  thats my input...and i''ve flexed mine pretty hard, to were one of the tires is comming off the ground.. and still no rub,, i'm going to be putting diggers 1.5'' coil spacers in soon and a 3'' body. then i shold be able to run a 31'' swamper with a different back spaced wheel.... hope that helps man
91 four door ,and some stuff

Offline da_tub

• oops...can we still back up>?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 12:16:23 PM »
i'm with cwkick on that one ,, the bfg's are an all round good tire if you want all the options...
91 four door ,and some stuff

Offline takai

• Yes, I drove that here. And No, it's not done!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 12:21:56 PM »
Have to agree. BFG AT are absolutely fabulous. Excellent off-road performance copuled with superior on road handling. And they still managed to be really quiet with good tread life.
87 Sammi "Sir Tweak " Rockcrawler 4:1, Mighty Kong , 1.6 16V, Centerforce II, 2" Exhaust, Esteem seats. - Long gone
97 Tracker "Jezebel"  Bone Stock DD

'Cause, I am to misbehave.

Offline Festiva

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 12:23:18 PM »
Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX's!
Good in Snow and rain, (lots of siping)
But still mudd and daily driver friendly, quiet too!

Offline dustyz

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 12:40:56 PM »
Alright, 235/75's are in...

Are the cooper tires not that good or something?

I guess the BFG's are leading the race, but I was hoping for something that would stand out a little more. I saw a truck in a parking over the weekend that caught my eye and had the discoverers on it... it looked dang good. The STT took the tire I saw and went a step further on the aggressive look.

The link I gave was definitely a mud tire... and I meant it wasn't practical enough for my purpose. <shrug.avi> 
---
dustyz

'92 Tracker 4x4 Auto

Offline Dihnekis

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 01:54:04 PM »
Another vote for BFG A/Ts. They are incredibly strong, I have 31 x 10.5s and they handle sand great and mud decent. They will pack mud in the treads, so make sure you either have a good bit of momentum, and they can go anywhere you need them to take you. 

I've driven mine over a chopped down pine forest and no cuts so far at all, I'm pretty sure most tires wouldn't have made it. Great on road performance as well.
1988 Suzuki Samurai

31" BFGs, SPOA, 5.14 Calmini Tcase gears, DOM cage, rock sliders, spidertrax wheels

1.6L, header, and 2" flowmaster exhaust coming soon

Offline chet

• Zuki time!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 02:30:32 PM »
I am not a fan of the older Coopers but I have the new Cooper Stt's and they rock! Mine are 30" but you should be able to get 235's
1991 4 door kick, 2" coil spacers, 30" Coopers, winch, locker, rust, dents, etc.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 08:41:43 PM »
All terrains are nice until you get into anything gooey or sticky.  Then you're screwed...and I hate mud and don't go looking for it.  When I lived in SoCal I had AT's on my truck and they did me fine.  Then I came back to Michigan and on my first trail ride the wet muck just ate them alive if I wasn't constantly flooring it.

A couple years ago I bought my first set of radial mud terrains and had them siped.  I'll never buy anything but muds again!

The siping makes for many times more little biting edges than the stock tread pattern had.  So now you've got mud tire ability in deep and gooey stuff and very good road manors.  Don't expect them to stick like Formula 1 tires but onroad they aren't bad at all.  Those Mud Kings pictured got me through a winter with NO problems.  Now I'm running 33" TrXus MT's on my Ranger that came with factory siping and again, they rock in all conditions.  Has to be glare ice or just roads so slippery anything would slide before I get concerned, and even then I just let off the gas and I have traction again.

Muds+siping=kick ass tires

Oh yeah, Cooper makes some good shit.  I've run some of their offbrand muds and lots of my friends have run Coopers.  No one's had any problems with them.  Great stuff for the money.

Offline Festiva

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 09:01:31 AM »
FYI Guys, Cooper tire Bought out Mickey thompson,.. 
The BFG's are nice BUT!,... they are BIG BUCKS.... Again you can get 28" MT baja Radial mtxs for round $60 if you look hard enough, and around $70-80 for 30"s

Offline dustyz

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 09:31:16 AM »
I'm really wanting something that looks agressive guys... something that will stand out.

I am leaning towards this tire after reading the reviews on tirerack.com. Everyone seems to like it...

Kumho Road Venture MT 834
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+MT+834&partnum=375QR5VMTOWL
http://www.cheneytire.com/performance/kumho/images_kumo/834.jpg

The BFG's look like something you would find on an everyday pick-up... and I don't want that. It also sounds like these tires aren't exactly friendly with the mud... which I may run into a few times. :)

These Kumho's are well into my price range |removethispart|@ $80-90...  have a good lifespan... and seem to perform well on and off the road. The coopers seem fine as well, but they were about $40 more than these tires...

Is this a bad idea? What will I lose by going with a offroad MT?
---
dustyz

'92 Tracker 4x4 Auto

Offline truckasaurus44

• I'm a new world Samurai & a Redneck nonetheless!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 10:01:56 AM »
Go with Swamper SX's in the 29x10.5x15 size!  Aggressive, right size, fairly cheap.  I had them on my Sammy originally and loved them.