Hello Guest

XL-7 buildup for 32s

• 74 Replies

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
Re: XL-7 buildup for 32s
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2005, 09:48:46 PM »
Without any other mods you can safely put a set of 225/75 on with minor rub at full compression.

The kits you are looking for in US are at calmini.com and

For 1 3/8" spacers and OME 25mm lift springs go to rocky-road.com/kicksus.html

Some of the folks here have been putting 2" jeep spacers on and boring out the center to fit.

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2005, 10:58:13 PM »
I think if your going to lift your XL-7 you need to have a goal or end point (once you get their you'll just want more  ;D ) This will help in keeping costs down in the long run.  So what do you want? What are you going to be wheeling? (rocks,mud,ect)

George
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 10:59:59 PM by blacknight »

Offline onecorona

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2005, 11:05:58 PM »
thanks alot for the info im gonna look up that site.
my goal is a 4-6 inch lift and i will be mudding. thats about it.
ronny

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2005, 04:34:54 AM »
Well your goal 4 to 6" is not un-do-able (is that even a real word?)
Well heres what you have to work with at this time:

Suspension
Calmini 2.5" Nice system and will take all you can through at it. Lots of flex.   Rough ride are so people say (I don't think so)

RRO      2"+or- do to weight of xl-7 Sorter ride not as much flex reuses stock a-arms (camber issuse) and no adjustment forthe rear track bar.

Body lifts
RRO-- None as of right now  working on 2" BD lift system

Calmini-- none as of right now they do have a 3" system just not for sale :-/

Bigballsoffroad 3" system (based out of AU)

Others- - 4 to 5" systems that I have seen but won't tell you about do to the fact that any thing over 3" is risky.

Tire Sizes

Stock 225/70/16=28"
2.5"   245/75/16 31"  or may be 235/85/16???
2.5"+3" body 265/75/16 33" not 100% on this one

Locker, ect
None as right now how ever I did here that ARB may have something in the works ;D

Gears
No real option for R&P if you have an A/T (5.12r&p)
if you have a M/T you can up grade to the 5.12's

T-case
Have heard that xl's have differnt gears from GV's so this may be an issuse???
Calmini ???
RRO ???
Bigballsoffroad ???

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2005, 12:21:55 AM »
Well I made a special trip to my local tire store yesterday. I was actually going to pick up some take-offs so I could play around with the fit before I ordered my set of larger tires.

Well to make a long story short, I really don't care for the way the 265/75s look. They are on the verge of looking much narrower because of the sidewall height. So now I am thinking I may just go with a 265/70. They just look much beefier. But I have seen a set of 265/75s on a disco and really liked they looked but they were basically road tires so they had a wider footprint. I was also wondering if you guys thought the 32s might just be a little much to get going with our gear choice or lack there of?

This is going to screw the pooch so to speak on the 32s build however as they are only 30.7" (equal to 31x10.5).

What do you guys think? I am planning on fitting up the RRO body this weekend then trying to fit on whatever I can without having to break out the torch for the front footpan.

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2005, 11:21:01 PM »
watch how wide a tire you get.  I have 245's and they rub the frame at full turn.  Any larger and you will need new rims or wheel spacers.
George

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2005, 11:56:26 PM »
The spidertrax wheel spacers are ordered already. I ordered 1" and I am thinking this will do it. If not the backup plan is to order some of the steel rock crusher rims. When I tried on the 265/75s it really wasn't that bad so I am pretty confident that the spacer will pull it off the frame.

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2005, 12:10:22 AM »
The spidertrax wheel spacers are ordered already. I ordered 1" and I am thinking this will do it. If not the backup plan is to order some of the steel rock crusher rims. When I tried on the 265/75s it really wasn't that bad so I am pretty confident that the spacer will pull it off the frame.

Did you tell them they were for an Xl-7 if not you may run into a problem. The xl-7 and GV's have a small lip around the hub that needs to be cut into the spacer.
George

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2005, 11:13:22 AM »
Yeah I made sure they fit before I ordered them. Actually they are coming from RRO I just looked at my receipt. Now I got to find out what I ordered from Spidertrax . . .  :-/

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2005, 11:51:09 AM »
Let us know how they fit when you get them.
George

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2005, 04:50:13 AM »
Blacknight . . .

So did you ever hear anything back from Calmini on the lift issue (not being but 3/4" different from stock)?

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2005, 06:52:39 AM »
....snip.... I am planning on fitting up the RRO body this weekend then trying to fit on whatever I can without having to break out the torch for the front footpan.

Do take pics of the hardware laid out. And how the pieces fit together. Good luck.
Lenexa, KS

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2005, 02:21:03 AM »
Well, update time.

Looks like it will be a couple of weeks before I begin on the truck. I talked with RRO about my order and they said it will be delayed a couple of weeks as they are waiting on a shipment of struts. In my order there is the extended steering shaft part and extended brake lines. As I already the Calmini 2.5" (3/4") lift on the brake lines will be essential, and I really don't want to chance binding the steering as well.

I poked around a little more this morning and noticed I have quite a bit of stuff that will have to be released from the body. Namely the rear cooling lines and a bunch of electrical in the engine compartment. I am also now concerned with the strut tower brace. Something I never really considered. I could get some longer bolts and sleeves to raise it as well but I wonder if it would compromise the strength of the whole torsional relationship. I already have the Calmini supplied sleeves on.

Any thoughts on this matter is appreciated.

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2005, 07:35:43 AM »
About the only concerns you'll have to adding a body lift (2" right?), is anything connected to the body which then goes to the frame.

When I crawled underneath months ago, here is a little list from memory: steering shaft, front brake lines, ac lines from the condensor (front of radiator) as they run through openings in the front support, rear brake lines coming off firewall to frame, anything connected to firewall to frame (wires, fuel return line, fuel feed line, etc), gas tank feeder lines, parking break cable, diff breather lines. This doesn't contain the only list, but gives you an idea.

Those back seat ac lines underneath the vehicle are secured to the floor and not the frame. These should be fine. The radiator is separated from the front support area so that should be fine. The trans shifter (auto) should be fine as it's cable operated.

You'll by raising the body off the frame high enough to clear the spacer, this is the big concern on all items. You'll be lifting the body some 3+" just to clear the mid-body stud mounts. Then some more to place in the lift spacers.  Dont' forget to support the points which the body rests on the frame without a specific mount. There should be 1 between the mid-body mounts. Just a simple rubber isolator glued to the frame.
Lenexa, KS

Offline nomaad

• I wanna go!!
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2005, 01:50:22 AM »
UPDATE . . . .

Got the OME struts on, they have ALOT more down travel. I am thinking about removing the Calmini strut spacer to kind of equalize the up and down. I need to see if this going to cause problems with the CVs.

Got the Spidertrax spacers on and had to get them ground on the inside edge for the front where it has a shoulder on the hub. The disk would have wobbled around in there if not, as the rim holds this on. The rear seems to be alright without it. It was $45 at a local machine shop to have it done. Pretty much a waste of money so far as I think I will be removing them. I really don't like the ride or steering with them on. I will see if I need them with the 265s on otherwise they will be sold.

Had the body lift on las week and it was riding like ****. Tore the lift off this weekend and got it fixed. I hate to say it (but in my defense, the directions were pretty poor as this lift has never been done on an XL-7 and this was my first body lift), I had the spacer on under the top body rubber and it should have been above with rubber sitting in the cup. This required me to bore the 4 center spacer out all the way through to 5/8" and 3/4" from the top to 13/16". It now rides great. Also readjusted the steering shaft at the pinion. I was off the mark a few teeth (that's what happens when you do your steering at 4:30 in the morning). So anyway, all is good. I have to get with Glenn at RRO about the front mount though as it is kinda weird and I want to make sure I have the spacer in correctly.

Pix and more info coming soon....