Hello Guest

Newbie with a Sami soft top

• 36 Replies

Offline PWSX3

• If it's a 4-wheel drive it should be off-road
Re: Newbie with a Sami soft top
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 11:10:53 PM »
I just purchased and installed Sky Manufacturings Stage 2 SPOA kit. It came together very nice, and was well thought out IMO. Money well spent!

http://sky-manufacturing.com/

Jeff

I checked out there web site but it doesn't show any lift or prices. How did there price compare to everyone else???
I am looking at Spidertrax lift just because it it local for me and I wouldn't have to pay freight.
1987 stock for now Sami for my 15 year old's first vehicle.
We Wheel with a 1994 Ford Explorer 5" Superlift, 35" tires, locked in the rear, custom tire rack, sliders, misc. stuff.

Offline PWSX3

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 06:42:33 AM »
Another piece to the BIG puzzle!!!!!!!!!
We cut the front part off the hinge and put the first door back on. Still waiting for the new alum. door handles from Spidertrax and the rubber molding that goes in around the window. I had to order those from the dealer and they won't be in until next week but then the doors are finished. I am also doing the brackets for the mirrors to stay on the vehicle. The next thing we will work on is the front bumper, I have all the parts now so it's just a matter of cutting and welding them up.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 06:43:07 AM by pwsx3 »
We Wheel with a 1994 Ford Explorer 5" Superlift, 35" tires, locked in the rear, custom tire rack, sliders, misc. stuff.

Offline snakeman

• Alrighty Then
    • Oregon Trail 4x4 Association
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 05:05:36 PM »
On the left, towards the top of his website, you click on Suzuki, it will take you to the products that he makes for samurai's. The prices are there also. I bought from him for a couple reasons.

1. He is local to me.

2. My best friend does all his CAD work, and helped design most all his parts.

3. He has ALWAYS shown me respect. Keep in mind, I'm a Zuki newbie, with a million stupid questions, and he has always given me straight answers. No bs, no trying to sell me his stuff or stuff I don't need. I know I can call with a question, and he'll patiently give the answer to the best of his knowledge. Example: He talked me out of doing the YJ spring swap after talking with me, and finding out my situation.

He is a great vendor, and I plan on buying more from him as the need arises.

BTW, The Samurai looks like its coming along great! Wish my parents were as involved with me as you are your son when I was his age! My first rig was a 74 Opel Manta that was wrecked. Second a wrecked 74 bug (My graduation present).

Jeff
Oregon Trail 4x4 Association - Eugene, Oregon
http://www.ot4x4.org/[/url] Come check us out if your in the Eugene / Springfield area!
87 Tin Top, 1.6 16v, 4.9, 4.62's w/ sidekick rear, TT YJ swap, custom snorkle.

Offline MB

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 10:17:47 AM »
Looks like your son is going to be a good painter if he keeps it up..Hummmmmmmm wonder if he would like to paint another?  ;D

Offline lazarus

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 10:33:23 AM »
Calmini has a catalog, a website, and a full line of quality parts for your Sami, there stuff is top of the line, and works well for all those interseted in a vehicle that works well, on and off the road.

661-398-9500

www.puresuzuki.com
no good deed goes unpunished

Offline mudbug

• Mudbugging
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 11:04:43 AM »
If you want to get some lift and a more comfortable ride, try the Calmini shackle reverse.  I put this on my Sammy and it is stable and rides a lot smoother.  Also, Get the extended shocks to go with the lift.  Took about 4 hours to complete the whole project.
Jeeps are for people who can't handle a Suzuki!!!

Offline PWSX3

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 01:27:38 PM »
If you want to get some lift and a more comfortable ride, try the Calmini shackle reverse.  I put this on my Sammy and it is stable and rides a lot smoother.  Also, Get the extended shocks to go with the lift.  Took about 4 hours to complete the whole project.

I will have to go check it out, but I don't think that gives us enough lift for 31" tires, but I haven't looked that hard at them. I just figured the SPOA was the best way to go.

Offline locjaw

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 01:42:19 PM »
you really need to try finding a way to test them both out. we did a calmini shackle reverse kit on my dads rig and we didnt like it, but you talk to other people who love it. Ithink it is all a matter of opinion. if you do the shackle rev I think you will still have to do something else(lift springs,long shackles)to make those 31's fit,a SPOA wil fit them right away.
my.02

jason
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline PWSX3

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 10:56:56 AM »
Well we went and bid on a 95 Tracker and had planned on going as high as $600.00 for it. I figure that is a good price for a motor, but it went for $950.00 so we are still looking.
If we don't find something soon I might start looking for a diesal, they might be easier to get our hands on.

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2005, 12:17:52 PM »
I bought a sammi around a year ago for $200, needs engine. It was a 93 EFI model and the engine was seized and had major internal problems. I gave it to a friend of mine when I bought BionicOnion's Tracker. My friend then got a carb 1.3 engine from LawDog and is in the process of swapping it in with the EFI intake, distributor and ECM from the 93. Keep your eyes open in the garage sale forum, you never know when something good might pop up...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline PWSX3

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2005, 02:41:29 PM »
My dad went to the auto auction today and picked up a Tracker for our donor motor. It's a 1990 2x4 with low miles if the speedometer is correct.
Hopefully I'll be able to sell some of the parts off the Tracker to help pay for the motor.

We also started working on the front bumper. Since we don't have plans to run a winch (unless someone would like to donate one for my son) we are going to build a cover over the middle to make it a place to store his tow strap and some small tools.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2005, 02:50:28 PM »
Thats gonna be a good looking bumper.
I would still make room for a winch and then enclose it for tools and stuff.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline PWSX3

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »
Thats gonna be a good looking bumper.
I would still make room for a winch and then enclose it for tools and stuff.

There will be room for a winch if down the road he wants to instal one. We are just putting a back and lid that will lock on there for now but he can take that off if he ever wants to. I just don't think a winch if you never wheel by yourself, which I believe in. People with winch's use it more on people then themselves and the Sami isn't that big to be pulling people.

Offline zuksofhazzard

• them darn Zuk boys
    • MOAB PICS
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2005, 02:57:49 PM »
You should be able to get a few bucks out of that 2 piece hardtop.  ;) I wish I was closer. I'd be interested in the rest of the tracker after you pull the engine.

You will be able to make that motor a carb if you want too.

I think '92 is an 8 valve. It is just like a 1.3, just a little taller.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 03:01:02 PM by jeffsimons »

Offline PWSX3

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2005, 03:08:52 PM »

You will be able to make that motor a carb if you want too.

I think '92 is an 8 valve. It is just like a 1.3, just a little taller.

NO WAY, I will keep it a fuel injection. I hate carb's specially when you are wheeling.