Hello Guest

Gas Tank lift

• 39 Replies

Offline ksa421

Re: Gas Tank lift
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2005, 02:10:19 AM »
THe cop told me mine was too low and if i got rearended it would explode....he said i should buy fuel cell and put it where my rearseat used to be ::).....
'90 Kick, Calmini 6" lift, 32x10.50 Pro Comps, Calmini bumper, 8000lb winch, 1.6l VW TD;

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2005, 11:28:43 PM »
Sorry, It doesnt fit. the 4 door has a wider frame. :'(

Mike

Mike, I hate to disagree with you, but I measured a 92 four door frame and a 93 2 door frame. The frames are the exact same width. The 4 door's tank is around 5" longer front to back than the 2 door's tank(and the coresponding crossmembers are 5" further apart in the 4door). The 4 door's tank is a little wider than the 2 door's as well. So wide, in fact, that the pinch weld is wider than the frame's opening! The 4 door tank is too wide to lift the tank even in a 4 door frame unless you bend the pinch weld in or cut it off.

To fit a 4 door tank into a 2 door frame would require major fabrication and frame modification to work. To raise the tank on a 4 door, you need to cut the pinch welds off or bend them in on the sides of the tank, just to clear the frame, then you still need to fab some higher mounts. You could always put a 2 door tank into a 4 door and it would have plenty of room for lifting it, but you'd still need to fab some mounts to fill in the 5" gap in the mounts and you're losing the range of the 4 door tank...

The easiest tank to lift is a 2 door tank in a 2 door frame with at least 3" of body lift. You drop the tank, cut off the old tank mounting brackets then clamp the tank to the round crossmembers with heavy duty 2" muffler clamps with the pinch weld on top of the rear-most crossmember and underneath the forward crossmember...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2005, 03:10:11 AM »
like digger has said, lifting a 2 dr tank in a 2 dr is easiest, esp with a min of 3" BL.

if you can weld good, you can just make up a new rear section.

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=64.0
1989 Suzuki Vitara... Stock Standard

something closer to home: www.DARWIN4X4.net[/url]

outerlimits4x4.com = Great Tech, Bad Influence

Offline _MeKilla_

• Rrrrrrrr!
    • Suzuki Escudo Owner's Blog
3" Gas Tank lift from Grand Vitara
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2005, 03:50:03 AM »
Here is my 5 cents. I've made 3" bodylift, gas tank replace (from Grand Vitara) and 3" gas tank lift. You can see some photos here.

Other photos are here. And my blog is here (NOTE: IN RUSSIAN ONLY!).

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
Re: 3" Gas Tank lift from Grand Vitara
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2005, 08:12:58 AM »
Here is my 5 cents. I've made 3" bodylift, gas tank replace (from Grand Vitara) and 3" gas tank lift. You can see some photos here.

Other photos are here. And my blog is here (NOTE: IN RUSSIAN ONLY!).

How much did that improve your fuel capacity?

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2005, 08:18:01 AM »
Sorry, It doesnt fit. the 4 door has a wider frame. :'(

Mike

Mike, I hate to disagree with you, but I measured a 92 four door frame and a 93 2 door frame. The frames are the exact same width. The 4 door's tank is around 5" longer front to back than the 2 door's tank(and the coresponding crossmembers are 5" further apart in the 4door). The 4 door's tank is a little wider than the 2 door's as well. So wide, in fact, that the pinch weld is wider than the frame's opening! The 4 door tank is too wide to lift the tank even in a 4 door frame unless you bend the pinch weld in or cut it off.

You got me, I ment longer. I knew what I ment it just didnt come out right.  I must have been tired.  :P Even if you cut and moved the crossmember the rear diff would hit the gas tank so it will not fit.

Mike

Mike
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline _MeKilla_

• Rrrrrrrr!
    • Suzuki Escudo Owner's Blog
Re: 3" Gas Tank lift from Grand Vitara
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2006, 05:11:50 AM »
How much did that improve your fuel capacity?

Stock gas tank fuel capacity is 42 litres. After mod 70 litres.

Offline hobgoblin

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2006, 12:31:43 AM »
Hello All,

Just lifted my tank 3 inches...Heres how I done it.
Removed tank
Cut the front bracket off three inches
Removed the whole rear x-member.
Made new brackets for the front out of 2" strap 1.5"long with nut welded to it.
Made new x-member for back out of 2"angle steel that is 1/4 thick and 30"long
Set the angle flush with top of frame and in 1/2 inch.
Mounted tank to front
Drilled hole from bottom in back for 2"angle.

That is with 2" body lift now my tank sets 1/4 away from the body.Looks much better a is also in a safer place.My rear x-member was getting cancer so bye-bye.

Later Tom K

Offline wezzlegod

• under construction crowler
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2006, 06:54:45 PM »
yo can someone post the link to this mod so i can revew it i was thinking of doing it myself and would like to se someone elses way.
black 89 sidekick toyota 22re L52 5speed trans w/ duel t cases. toyota axles w/coil springs 4 link double triangle 3 link front, 5.29 r&p, lockers ,35x12.5 tires, rock rails ,custom plate steal bumpers, killer xm sounds ext ext ext

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown