Hello Guest

Tire choices...help!

• 21 Replies

Offline Scott

• Red Tintop
Tire choices...help!
« on: May 19, 2003, 12:52:42 PM »
Please pardon in advance my newbie ramblings.

I am in the process of planning the upgrade path for the Tin Can.  So many choices so little money...  Lift, tires/wheels, suspension, gearing  I can see how it is possible to go in one direction and then back in another wasting money unless there is a plan in place.

At first it was going to be SPOA and big ass mudders.  But that leads to gearing changes and probably way more truck than I need.  That made me think of how I actually want to use the TC.  I live in N. Florida and it is almost all sand with a little mud if you know where to look (I don't, yet)  Not real hilly. I want to stay in the 2" or so lift and 29 or 30 inch tires so I don't have to worry about gearing changes right away.  This will not be a daily driver, more of a play truck-but it must be road ready if needed.  I am planning on using 15 by 8 wheels with a 2" back spacing.  I like tires as wide as possible for better traction.

Anyway I have been looking around at tires and reviews and holy cow there are a lot to choose from.  I have looked at the A/T's and I see them leaving me stuck in just a little mud--no thanks.  The M/T's look better but I can't figure out if they are the compromise I should get or if they will come up short when I need them.  Then there are the Swampers.  Not a lot of choices in small enough sizes.  I really liked what I saw on the Super Swamper SSR but would a 29x11.50 fit under the minimum lift I think I want?  Or will be too wide?  The other choice that really caught my eye is the Super Swamper SX.  It comes in a 30x10.5.  It gives up road manners but surely wont leave me stranded due to poor tire choice.

So here are my actual questions:
Will the SSR fit under there on those wheels?
Do you give up anything with the SX's?
Are the MT's a valid choice?
What others should I need to consider?

Thanks for any help.
Scott

Offline mud_dog

• THIS IS NOT A JEEP THING!
Re: Tire choices...help!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 03:30:19 PM »
On your tire choice, I'm going to try the 29x10.5 super swamper SX and tailgunner 15x8 rims.  It will cost me about $670 to get the tires shipped to me in Michigan. I only have a calmini 3" body lift with the front bumper tubes removed. I will let you Know when this happens. STILL WAITING!! Good luck MUD_DOG
MUD FOR ALL AND ALL FOR MUD!!

Offline mud_dog

• THIS IS NOT A JEEP THING!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 11:56:20 PM »
Scott
I went with the sts Radials. Should be here next week
MUD FOR ALL AND ALL FOR MUD!!

Offline DoctorD

• No such thing as too many toys!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 02:34:09 AM »
Hi Scott,
              You in kind of a dilemma, you need tires that work well in sand, which is most of your area, but want tires for mud, which I would think is pretty much like gumbo.  Sand is kind of like snow, you need a wide foot print-floatation.  You don't want a tire that will dig you into a hole.  Swampers are great tires, I ran them when all they had was TSLs.  But, if you are going to have just one set of tires, you are going to have a trade off somewhere.  Have you looked at the Geolander MT?  how about the Pro Comp X-terrain?

DrD
In search of new toy

Offline tazuki88

• Tazuki88
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 02:46:46 AM »
I run the ProComp XT's and I can not say anything wrong with them , one of the best tires I have owned and in sand they float and go real good at 10 psi  ! Hope this helps you... ;D
Canadian Eh !
Tazuki's home[/url]

Offline Scott

• Red Tintop
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 02:22:50 PM »
Well It has been a real long time snce I asked these questions about lifts and tires.  I have been quietly lurking and learning as much as I can about Zukes.

I did finally go with a SPOA and 31x10.50 Mastercraft mud terrains on 15x8 wheels with a 2.5"BS.  Pretty sweet if I do say so myself.  

The lift is all homegrown, about $40.00 total invested.  The wheels were about $45.00 each and I traded a 25 year old Kawasaki street bike for the tires--$0.00 because the bike was given to me about 2 years ago.

Next up are drive shaft spacers or yoke extenders, then shocks and new mounts then gears for the transfer cases--it is a whole lot slower now and it was never fast!  Then a rear locker and new exhaust with a header then...I can see this list will never end.

Too much fun!
Scott

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 03:00:49 PM »
Some good choices, those Mastercraft MTs
are a BFG MT knockoff, and a good value
if you priced the BFGs.  

What did you lift, Body or Susp ??
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Scott

• Red Tintop
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 07:36:24 AM »
Some good choices, those Mastercraft MTs
are a BFG MT knockoff, and a good value
if you priced the BFGs.  

What did you lift, Body or Susp ??

I went with a spring over lift.  After looking at all the choices out there it just did not make sense to start with shackles or new springs when the SPOA is so easy.  
Yeah the tires are doing good.  You can really feel them hook up in the mud holes I have explored so far.
Now I need my buddy to get his jeep running again so we can go with someone to pull me out if I do manage to stick it.

Scott

Offline Mr._NSX

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 08:56:49 AM »
So how is the gearing with your new tires??

Offline 6feetofAIR

• i wanna go to hawaii yayyyyyyyyyyyyy yy
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 09:40:37 AM »
one thing ive read and heard about boggers is that the sidewalls are reinforced for a heavier truck than you have, you definatly wouldnt get the footprint you would need in a suzuki. bfg makes some good tires with very flexible as well as reinforced sidewalls.

Offline Mr._NSX

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 10:02:42 AM »
I agree, BFG M/T's and GoodYear Wrangler M/T's are very very durable light tires, which is important on our vehicles.  I was going to buy some Super Swampers but bought some used BFG M/T's instead.  The bfgs where about 8 years old but sold me. My sidekick actually handled better on the street with a 3in body lift and these tires then any other tire I have used.  Good Year and BFG have been in the business for a very long time and there product shows it, althoug they may not look as cool as Interco tires they certaintaly out perform them.

:P

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• YOU WANNA RACE THE ZUKE !
    • OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 10:30:42 AM »
TIRES ARE A TOUGH DECISION...I'M HOPING TO COME ACCROSS A SET USED TO HELP THE ISSUE ALONG  ;D

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2003, 01:59:21 AM »
What about the STS Radial?  I have never tryed it but they say its good in sand.  29x410.50R-15 is onlt 91 bucks.  And how about some Thornturds?  O i'm sorry, Thornbirds.  lol  they come in 29x10.50R-15 and 30x11.50Rx15. and they are about 120 each.  lata Stu
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 01:59:40 AM by 1bigtracker »

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2003, 06:22:16 AM »
 Good Year and BFG have been in the business for a very long time and there product shows it, althoug they may not look as cool as Interco tires they certaintaly out perform them.
:P

Only on the street, you won't out perform a swamper in the mud or dirt!  ;)

Also, drive your new swampers around super low, like almost
a flat tire, in a parking lot, close to air for reinflation, do this until
the sidewalls get warm, like 105 Deg.  now inflate to a moderate PSI
like 12 for 31s or 33s, now your tires will flex in the sidewalls real nice.
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 07:46:44 AM »
I have 33x12.5x15 Dayton Timberline mt with 4 inch body lift and a bit of fender chopping.  I barely even notice the bigger tires.  I would rather have some suspension lift but it's cheaper this way and still it kicks gass
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!