Hello Guest

And another thing ----

• 18 Replies

Offline Mac0

And another thing ----
« on: November 19, 2003, 12:05:15 PM »
  Somewhere in the last week I got lead to a sight to help out on heating in these little things . Well I opened up mine yesterday - ( The heater box above the heater core ) and my God -- it had 4" of crape in it . It's got 5 times the heat it used to have.  Not quite the leather heated seats and controlled atmosphere of the Tahoe but down to a sweat shirt and a ball cap !!!
 Having a blast ---- Mac0

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
Re: And another thing ----
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 12:58:45 PM »
Did you use the hole saw trick??? if so how hard was it? how did you plug the hole? thank's Dennis.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 01:31:21 PM »
I remeber seeing the whole hole saw process somewhere on the net...I'll look for the link tomorrow.

Offline Mac0

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 02:16:33 PM »
  Yep -- that's the one. I can't find a link to it right now but it was pretty easy. Done in about 30 minutes. If you find the lick -- the only thing I did differant was to drill two holes and use a air compressor to blow it out instead of sucking it out. To fill the holes I used duck tape and will switch to the plugs he discribed here later.
 I could not beleive the crap in there. Well worth the time.  
 Thanks  Jim

Offline Mac0

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 03:32:37 PM »
 Ã‚ Here ya go ---

www .izook.com/tech/samurai/body/heaterclean/heaterclean.htm
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 01:07:21 AM by ebewley »

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 09:48:36 PM »
Thanks for the link, I havent seen that article. I'm going to have to try that on my Kick.
Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

jdraper

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 10:24:19 PM »
That fix is on my logbook for the weekend!!  Bought the holesaw last week for it.  I'm tired of the lack of defrost capabilities.

Offline Ronzuki

• What's a Samurai?
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 10:32:05 PM »
While you're in the cleanup mode ;), don't forget to clean out the rubber fresh air inlets located on the firewall.  there's a rubber flapper inside that seems to collect alot of junk also.  Mine were completely plugged with pine needles and leaves.
'91, RRO Bolt-On SPO, 32" BFG Muds, 2" BS U.S. Wheels, Breeeze CO, Neon Seats, 5.8:1 T-Case, TT Mighty Kong Bucket, 1.5" RUF, 1.5" Rears, DT Shocks, RRO Sliders ,Rear DetroitEZ, OBA,Celica PS

RCrocs Team 509

jdraper

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 10:45:26 PM »
Got all them already.  My fresh air setting blasts air real well, just limited heat and little defrost.  Already pulled the defrost hoses and cleaned them.  When the heat does come on, it's hotter 'n' hell, but at a slow trickle.  I ususally let the zuk warm up in the driveway for 15 minutes before I go to work in the morning (It's the designated "outdoor" vehicle.  Garage holds my Explorer and my wife's Firebird) so I don't frost my tail too much.  That helps warm up my tranny too.  On cold days, it will crawl forward in neutral if you let the clutch out without the brakes on.  Hopefully I'll be getting a new one soon.  Waiting for a guy in Jersey to give me a time when we can get together to get it.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 01:14:57 AM »
 Here ya go ---

www .izook.com/tech/samurai/body/heaterclean/heaterclean.htm

FWIW: I've done this heater cleaning several years ago on my red Samurai and it does clean out the core well. A word of caution would be that it is hard to get that hole to seal up afterwords. Make sure you have a good method of sealing the hole. I now remove the whole unit instead to do the cleaning because I could never really get a good seal and cold air rushes out of the cleaning hole 'plug.'

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that.

-Eric

PS. Did I mention that it is a good idea to and is difficult to seal up the cleaning port? :)
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Zukipilot

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 01:39:39 AM »
Eric,
How hard is it to remove the whole unit from a Kick
Zig
Zukipilot

Offline Yankee Tim

• Who says a GV is a grocery getter?
    • Yankee Off-Road
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 04:03:01 AM »
PS. Did I mention that it is a good idea to and is difficult to seal up the cleaning port?
-Eric

I used the plastic plugs that are used on rebuilt motors.  Work very well, press fit elimitates leaks, and they pop out with a slighty pry of a flat driver.  Very effective.

Also, when you vac it out, blow compressed air in from the underside of the coil at the same time.  This helps blow the tiny crud out that clogs the fins.
Yankee Tim

Offline r0ckstarr79

• Chevy + Zuk
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 04:07:17 AM »
Heater? Whats that? My tranny keeps me plenty warm. ;D

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 04:08:26 AM »
Eric,
How hard is it to remove the whole unit from a Kick
Zig

Haven't done that one yet... I bet Mikey has though...

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Zukipilot

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2003, 04:22:40 AM »
Hey Mike, have you done this?
Zig
Zukipilot