Hello Guest

break pads 01gv 4x4 v6 4 door

• 4 Replies

Offline Mike71

break pads 01gv 4x4 v6 4 door
« on: December 18, 2003, 02:52:17 PM »
hi..sry to keep asking so many questions :(

this ones for my moms c car she has an 01 gv like the title says...it kinda burns through break pads..i know im kinda hard on them but not hard enough for them to go in like 6k miles..everything on the front of the car has been replaced under warrenty..the spindles rotors calipers all the stuff i cant rember what..but i know its not a problem with the caliper or alignment or anything like that im prety anal about most of the upkeep on the car because i do drive it hard and wheel it some

the car stops amazingly well..shorter distance then most any other car i have drivin so i dont need a pad that performes better..just one that will last longer

oh and it can by no means be a squeaky pad..i hate that! lol they replaced the front pads on my moms car 6 or 7 times because everytime they put new ones on it would squeak its just horrible to drive a car like taht anyways

any help would be appreciated if thats the normal lifespan im sorry

oh also while im at it what kind of shocks would u guys use on my moms car to replace all 4 stock shocks..preferably to ride better it doesnt see any kind of tough wheeling where it goes to full droop so just stock 4x4 performance is cool...just had a mishap and i think i killed the left front one =0 woops :( so now im gunna replace all 4 for her
623hp kb cobra sold! 100hp kick new DD :P

Offline Yankee Tim

• Who says a GV is a grocery getter?
    • Yankee Off-Road
Re: break pads 01gv 4x4 v6 4 door
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 12:43:27 AM »
Wow, something is seriously wrong and you definately need to get it checked out.  Somthing sticking or not right.

I have a '00 GV (auto no less) with just over 80K on it.  I'm almost do for new front pads again.  I replaced them at 45 or 48K, I don't remember exactly when (early spring of 2002), but even then they weren't worn all that much.  The rotors where lightly turned once, and even now are not scored or discolored.  Even the rear shoes are about 1/2 worn.

But since the first brake job, the 2nd pads saw an increase in tire size to 31's, added more weight via steel bumper, winch and other heavy stuff.  I pulled a trailer with it several times, and flat towed my Samurai a few times also.  Up and down mountains, including the Rockies.

I've rockcrawled and rally raced with it.  In general, was harsh and abusive.  Dude, there's no way pads should be wearing out in under 6K.  I'm using Suzuki (SGP) pads and rotors, what is on yours?

Not to take you away from here, but there is a Yahoo! email group fro just Grand Vitaras.  There is a guy on there now who claims his front brakes seize up.  If something is dragging, that would make the pads wear real fast.

Gotta be something wrong, I'm getting 7x the mileage.  And mine never grind or squeak.  Seriously, dude.

I hear KYBs make nice stock replacement struts and shocks.

HTH,
Yankee Tim

95XL7

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 04:10:04 AM »
Did you make sure the rear brakes are adjusted properly? If its an automatic make sure to use the emergency brake often to keep them adjusted. And quit beatin' your mommys car and get your own!!! ::) ;D

Offline Snoopy

• Arriba, Arriba, Andale, Andale
    • Cardomain
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 04:19:10 AM »
Sorry,
But how do you adjunts the rear breaks? I have the same problem its seem that the rear is not breaking as much as the front.
Thanks.
Regards / Saludos
Alberto de la Garza
2000 Tracker

Offline Mike71

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 08:04:34 AM »
haha i do beat my own =) i have a 91 track so that things seems some dirt

but nothing is seizing up on the brakes..the first brake pads disinigrated one day so the caliper heated up and seized thats why everything was replaced on the front

im prety sure that the rear brakes are working properly i cant imagine the front brakes stopping the car like it does..i mean it stops on a dime and gives back more change then a u turn they dont make the wheep wheep wheep sound or anything so i am fairly sure theres nothing mechanicly wrong but ill take the wheel off and snap some pics mabey someone that knows more then i do can look at see whats going on

so would u just recomend to use the OE pads? i belive it is still OE on there now just we had it all changed to new not to many miles ago

id kinda like to know what kinda pads to get by like sunday so i can change the pads so we dont get any problems with the rotors

thanks for ur input guys =)

o yah if i didnt use my moms car the 4x4 would seize up and die since she has only used it once since 01 lol
623hp kb cobra sold! 100hp kick new DD :P