Hello Guest

Headlight question

• 3 Replies

Offline Bike Guy

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Headlight question
« on: August 28, 2023, 01:24:25 PM »
Little problem with the headlights on my 86 Samurai. I turn the switch one click, marker lights come on. Turn it the second click, no headlights. Move switch to high beam position, still no headlights. Pull switch towards me to the flash to pass, headlights illuminate. Does this sound like a bad switch or is it likely to be a grounding issue?

Thanks in advance.
Thom Batty
the Bike Guy in
Lakeview, OR

Online fordem

Re: Headlight question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 08:18:32 PM »
Are you willing to go with a guess from a total stranger, or do you plan on diagnosing the problem?

I would guess at a defective switch, and for what it's worth, the headlights get their ground through the switch.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Bike Guy

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 01:47:34 PM »
Are you willing to go with a guess from a total stranger, or do you plan on diagnosing the problem?

I would guess at a defective switch, and for what it's worth, the headlights get their ground through the switch.

Well, the ideal would have been advise based on experience that gave me a starting poiint to diagnose the issue. That said, your guess agees with my assesment based on symptoms. Thanks for replying.
Thom Batty
the Bike Guy in
Lakeview, OR

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 04:03:55 AM »
First - my guess IS based on experience (but not with a Samurai, which I don't see as an issue, pretty much every Suzuki built has the headlights wired the same way), and knowing how to read the diagrams.

My point however is this, you don't know me, you don't know my background, you really don't have a clue as to whether or not to take my advice.  Given the cost of a replacement switch (if you can find one), the best approach would be to grab a test meter and diagnose the fault, maybe even pay an auto-electrician to wire a "dash switch" to replace the on/off portion of the "combination switch"
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny