Hello Guest

Popping out of 4wd

• 2 Replies

Offline Sckfarmer123

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Popping out of 4wd
« on: August 21, 2023, 05:03:58 PM »
So I just got an 87 Suzuki samurai and it’s popping out of 4HI and the transfer case shifter is getting stuck but in what seems to be the neutral position but the samurai is actually in 2WD. This all started after a trip to the river where I had the Sammy in 4LO and was running it pretty hard through the water, which is when I started to hear a loud popping noise coming from what I think was either the front axle or the transfer case. It was several loud pops not just one. We got out, let everything cool down a bit and got back to wheeling. Car ran fine for awhile but then I started to notice it popping out of 4wd. It doesn’t do it as often in 4LO but still happens sometimes.

I have already replaced the shifter sheet and it still does it. I’m considering buying a transfer case rebuild kit but just thought I would get on here to make sure I have exercised all options. I have considered looking at the front axle but I have CRV shafts, which I know can break but I don’t think those are the issue. It still runs great without any issues in 2wd and it will still engage 4wd and run for a bit until you get into loose gravel or sand and then it pops out and the transfer case lever is stuck again and the only way to get it unstuck is pulling the shifter out of the transfer case and realigning the rods within the transfer case. Any help or ideas would be great, thanks

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Popping out of 4wd
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2024, 12:14:23 PM »
The long arm mount on your t-case is probably bent.  Consider getting an aftermarket mounting system for your t-case. Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline ZookMeister

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Popping out of 4wd
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2024, 04:13:56 PM »
Have you inspected (or changed) your transfer case shifter bushing?
The Transfer case bushing in my '87 Samurai was plastic and got brittle (and it was only around 25 years old or so at the time).  I had to use a screwdriver crammed down in there to get my T-case into SOME gear in order to get home.  I fished around in there with my trusty screwdrive and ended up getting it into 4hi, so I headed home (unlocked my front hubs since it was hot pavement all the way).  Replaced the T-case shifter bushing (I think it cost $10-15 bucks and took 5 minutes to install), and have never had another problem with it since.  I think it's wise to check the easy stuff before repairing tougher stuff.  What can I say?  I'm lazy and cheap!
- ZM