Hello Guest

Sammi 1987

• 97 Replies

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Sammi 1987
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2021, 09:32:24 AM »
If I was to guess, the fan on the alternator is maybe supposed to slip behind the water pump pulley.  Best case that would be a very tight fit, and if you ever lost a water pump bearing, seems you would lose an alternator fan also.  With the number of variations of 10SI alternators out there, that is the worst style for the application.

I stand corrected...just did a search for 10SI alternators.  Seems the other style of external fan is probably the same diameter, and maybe even "thicker".  So maybe that is the best choice for the job.  It sure does look problematic though!
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2021, 09:37:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-IXLKJ6cB4

Might check out this video.  Looks like there are some washers or a spacer for the lower mount.
1995 Sidekick JLX
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline warrpath4x4

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2021, 02:36:37 PM »
If I was to guess, the fan on the alternator is maybe supposed to slip behind the water pump pulley.  Best case that would be a very tight fit, and if you ever lost a water pump bearing, seems you would lose an alternator fan also.  With the number of variations of 10SI alternators out there, that is the worst style for the application.

I stand corrected...just did a search for 10SI alternators.  Seems the other style of external fan is probably the same diameter, and maybe even "thicker".  So maybe that is the best choice for the job.  It sure does look problematic though!

I thought about sanding down the diameter of the alt fan a bit too

Offline warrpath4x4

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2021, 07:14:33 AM »
Last night I got the alternator bracket fixed but there's still not much room between the alt fan and the water pump pulley.

The wiring directions I found kept talking about a red/white wire but my wires were different colors and there was actually 3 wires coming from the plug but 1 was cut, so I started stripping tape back and find this lol

I am not sure exactly where this thicker wire goes, it runs into a bundle that then runs inside the cab, when installing a bigger alternator I usually run bigger wires to the battery, I am not sure if I should/could get rid of this wire or if I should just piggyback a bigger wire from alt direct to the battery.

and while tracing that wire I found these behind the battery, so I will fix them before they create bigger issues

Offline warrpath4x4

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2021, 07:01:05 AM »
We wired up the alternator last night, then the sami wouldn't crank. Took a little bit of troubleshooting and found when I was moving the wiring around I pulled the starter wire off. She has way better throttle response with the new carb and idles smoother, definitely recommend the carb swap.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2021, 09:34:14 AM »
Glad to see you got everything hooked up and going!

The current charge wire from the alternator, can it reach the battery?  If it does, I think I would run a heavy cable between the battery and alternator and then connect that current wire to the battery.  Otherwise, you could just piggy back as you already mentioned.

Good to see you are keeping hydrated and clear headed through all of this!
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline warrpath4x4

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2021, 10:37:38 AM »
Really didn't even touch the sammi this weekend, took my Son to the pumpkin patch Saturday and did some grocery shopping, Sunday we pulled the window A/C units from the bedrooms, I made bacon jam and jalapeno bacon jam, and smoked a roast.

Today I ordered a Prius electric steering column to adapt into the sammi.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2021, 07:26:49 PM »
The kids are part of the motivation for the Zuki fun, right?  My son is killing me...no matter how hot or miserable it is, if we are going to run to town, and I ask him what he wants to take, Zuk every time!  Sometimes I don't give him the option cuz dad needs air conditioning sometimes!  Is the Prius the go to electric power steering option?
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline warrpath4x4

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2021, 07:18:27 AM »
The kids are part of the motivation for the Zuki fun, right?  My son is killing me...no matter how hot or miserable it is, if we are going to run to town, and I ask him what he wants to take, Zuk every time!  Sometimes I don't give him the option cuz dad needs air conditioning sometimes!  Is the Prius the go to electric power steering option?

from what I was seeing Prius or Corolla, but prius is the most prevalent and available. I ordered the column (electric motor), control module, and an extra shaft I will be using for $200 off ebay.

Offline warrpath4x4

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2021, 07:18:34 AM »
Got my auxiliary battery tray roughed out last night

its a little bit of a squeeze but the placement is almost perfect, it will be a really short run to power the prius electric steering.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2021, 09:22:58 AM »
What size battery are you going with there?  The Sidekick comes with a Group 51 originally, and I have had a Group 24 in it in the past.  Right now it has a 51 back in it, because I had a broke down Honda with a good battery when I put it back together.  I am thinking about sticking with the 51, because if I add a second battery that size of battery is easier to find place to stick it.
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline warrpath4x4

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2021, 10:51:31 AM »
I have a 34/78 AGM I am using for mockup, I plan to run it but I also need to get it tested. its an old battery and is sitting at 10V right now and 24 hours on my charger did nothing. not sure if its the battery or my charger. Its a bit of a squeeze but that size will work just fine.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2021, 11:50:04 AM »
So is it an extra battery, or going to be the primary?
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline warrpath4x4

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2021, 12:29:09 PM »
So is it an extra battery, or going to be the primary?

extra battery to run the winch, lights, electric steering

Offline warrpath4x4

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2021, 07:26:21 AM »
battery tray is just about done, I need to drill 2 more mounting holes into the fender, and drill the hole(s) for the hold down. I am planning on using one J-hook and a rivnut in the top flange of the fender for securing the hold down, then shoot it with some paint.