Hello Guest

Starter not engaging? Neutral safety switch?

• 9 Replies

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Starter not engaging? Neutral safety switch?
« on: June 09, 2020, 07:59:16 AM »
So i had a no start problem and purchased a starter feom ebay because mine looked old and original. Soon as i swapped it still had same problem.

But when i moved the automatic shifter to neutral it would start.

Now it left me stranded and would not start. Even tried park, drive, neutral etc nothing.

Is there a way to by pass the nss? Or should i buy a new one?

Any tips on checking the neural safety switch? My reverse lights do not work thats why i think its the nss.

With the key in ignition it triggers the fuel pump and i hear a click under the hood on the firewall
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:01:07 AM by Toys-n-Joys »

Online fordem

Re: Starter not engaging? Neutral safety switch?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »
It's a switch, you check it with a continuity tester. which might be part of a multitester or multimeter.  You could bypass the safety switch, but it's there for a reason and would certainly NOT be the safest thing to do.  The reverse lights are a separate switch, it might be a part of the same physical unit as the neutral safety switch, but it's electrically separate.

Now - half of what I tell you here could be wrong - simply because I don't have a crystal ball and don't know what vehicle we're talking about.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 08:17:17 AM »
It's a switch, you check it with a continuity tester. which might be part of a multitester or multimeter.  You could bypass the safety switch, but it's there for a reason and would certainly NOT be the safest thing to do.  The reverse lights are a separate switch, it might be a part of the same physical unit as the neutral safety switch, but it's electrically separate.

Now - half of what I tell you here could be wrong - simply because I don't have a crystal ball and don't know what vehicle we're talking about.

I have a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick automatic jlx. G16 engine and 4spd auto transmission.

I ordered a new nss and it seems to be the wrong part. Also unplugging this is a nightmare. Engineers always surprise me.

The wire goes up on top of the transmission and i cant find where the plugs connect. Going to have a friend with smaller hands help me later tonight.

Do these look like a interchangeable part?

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 01:29:28 PM »
So it looks like the ebay vendor listed the wrong part as a direct fit for my 1995 Suzuki sidekick jlx 4dr automatic.

When i updated it with that information it says direct fit. But the one i just posted is the nss i need.

Who would've thought Suzuki would use all these parts. Wouldve been easier to make these universal

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 03:27:19 PM »
The manufacturer reserves the right to make improvements.

The four speed automatic is a vast improvement over the old three speed, it's electronically shifted, so it needs a switch to tell the electronics where the driver puts the selector lever, that's the reason it has a different NSS.

So now let me ask - who are you going to blame for the mistake?  Suzuki for their design, the ebay vendor for possibly listing the wrong part or yourself for not confirming what works.

By the way - did you check (with a continuity tester) to be certain the NSS is the problem and it's not a wiring fault or even the starter or ignition switch?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 03:29:05 PM by fordem »
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 05:30:50 AM »
The manufacturer reserves the right to make improvements.

The four speed automatic is a vast improvement over the old three speed, it's electronically shifted, so it needs a switch to tell the electronics where the driver puts the selector lever, that's the reason it has a different NSS.

So now let me ask - who are you going to blame for the mistake?  Suzuki for their design, the ebay vendor for possibly listing the wrong part or yourself for not confirming what works.

By the way - did you check (with a continuity tester) to be certain the NSS is the problem and it's not a wiring fault or even the starter or ignition switch?

I have the 4spd but it seems i have the 3spd nss.

I had a nss code on the dashboard. No reverse lights and i was starting it by moving the auto shifter into different gears and it would start right up.

New starter and ignition switch sounds good but i did not test it.

Online fordem

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 07:43:00 AM »
Let me put it this way, I'm not there to see what you have, but, as I mentioned before, the four speed automatic, when it left the factory was electronically shifted, so it uses a different switch - I don't see it working with the NSS for the three speed, without throwing a code, which you say it is doing, so maybe that is the reason you're having issues.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 05:43:35 AM »
Let me put it this way, I'm not there to see what you have, but, as I mentioned before, the four speed automatic, when it left the factory was electronically shifted, so it uses a different switch - I don't see it working with the NSS for the three speed, without throwing a code, which you say it is doing, so maybe that is the reason you're having issues.

I am thinking the early 4spd models shared the same nss as the 3spd obd1 models.

I ordered 2 different neutral safety switches and they both are a different style than i have on my 1995 jlx 4dr automatic.

The one on my Suzuki has one plug with 9 pins. The one that says it fits online when i add to my cart is a 2 plug nss.

It will bolt up but will not plug in.

At this point i want to just bypass the switch. If i can figure out what wire does what can just hook a switch up inline.

I see a few guys online bypassing the nss. Only usa has these overseas they dont use the neutral safety switch.

Online fordem

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 04:24:58 PM »
Only usa has these overseas they dont use the neutral safety switch.

I am "overseas", and I have NEVER seen an automatic transmission vehicle that didn't have a Neutral Safety Switch.  It's there for a reason, bypass it at your own risk, and if it's the four speed don't be surprised when you have shift issues because the transmission controller doesn't know where the selector lever is.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny