Hello Guest

Alternator

• 19 Replies

Alternator
« on: February 14, 2004, 11:47:21 AM »
Have those with off-road lights and such upgraded the alternator, or does the stock one cut the mustard?
I see a brkt to install a GM alternator but am wondering if the gains justify the expense?

Offline jonald

• Corvallis, OR
Re: Alternator
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 12:02:38 PM »
I upgraded because my stock alternator was failing and upgrading was cheaper than a stock replacement.  The upgrade is fairly painless as long as you have the right regulator in the GM alternator.

My advise is upgrade when you need to.

When you do, make sure you get a D10SE12 regulator.  This will make it a true one wire hookup.  You literally only need to connect to the output post of the alternator.  The idiot light connection is optional.

The alternator I got with my kit had a different regulator in it which killed my battery.  Once I knew what the problem was, the new regulator only cost me $4.00.
Jonald
Diesel Samurai on a budget - Sold
97 Sidekick Sport

Offline 87BlackSami

• http://www.quic kvwbug.4wdriver .com/
    • http://www.quickvwbug.4wdriver
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 01:51:11 PM »
The stock alternator barely keeps up with the stock components so I upgraded to a GM style. What I did was went to PepBoys and tell them you need an alternator for an 85 Chevy suburban with the biggest engine they have a listing for and every option possible(4x4,A/C,power windows ect.) This will make it easier for you to get the higher 100amp instead of the 60amp. The reason I went this route was because of the lifetime warranty and it still only cost $70.00. Another nice thing with using this alternator is the wires are almost direct replacement after you change the plug.
ALTERNATOR Part #7-69035-20436

Now I have no problems running night ops with 2 100watt lights and sometimes a winch.
locked,5.8:1 Tcase, 5.12's, 35x12.5Xterrain's, 4" BDS L/O, Ford towers, 5-8" shackles w/reverse, tracbar, Yota P/S, diffs capped, skidplates, onboard air, fabbed bumpers & shafts, Herculined, airhorns

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 08:17:16 AM »
Does someone make a kit to replace the alt. with a GM?  I'm about ready to do that and was going to make one.  But if one's available...
e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 03:24:23 PM »
www.off-road.com/suzuki/reviews/petroalt.htm

check this out for the complete kit
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 04:03:34 PM by TonyBalgony »

Offline Samurai_Hamster

• 87 Octane knocker of a motor.
    • Samurai Hamster
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 11:10:10 PM »
If you want to sent your unit in, I think ACE alternator can build it up for you.
The Zuke is on its way out.  Getting a vehicle that will behave and be supported by the dealer.

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 01:16:03 AM »
It doesn't give any real information.  I think I might be better off getting an Auto Zone lifetime alt. and do it myself.
96 Tracker
32 MTR's Warn 8000i

Offline 87BlackSami

• http://www.quic kvwbug.4wdriver .com/
    • http://www.quickvwbug.4wdriver
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 07:38:33 AM »
It doesn't give any real information.  I think I might be better off getting an Auto Zone lifetime alt. and do it myself.

That was my point. The only thing that may help the install is if you buy the lower bracket already made from Petroworks or someone. One thing I forgot was while your at the store get the gm alt. plug to fit the alternator. The plug is white in color with 2 female spade terminals molded in. It will have a heavier 12ga. red wire and a 14ga. white wire. Also on my install I had to grind a little on the bottom edge of the stock top adjusting bracket.
locked,5.8:1 Tcase, 5.12's, 35x12.5Xterrain's, 4" BDS L/O, Ford towers, 5-8" shackles w/reverse, tracbar, Yota P/S, diffs capped, skidplates, onboard air, fabbed bumpers & shafts, Herculined, airhorns

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 07:43:59 AM »
OK thanks.
96 Tracker
32 MTR's Warn 8000i

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 08:40:25 AM »
I too am seriously considering a more powerful alternator.  Mine can't keep up with my stereo on louder volumes at night with all the lights on.  I also want to get a nice set of fog lights.  I'm going to do some research on the net and at the local parts stores and shops to see what I can come up with.

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 09:06:48 AM »
The web sight above didn't give any details.  You might be able to give them a call and find them out.  The cost might be resonable.

I do a lot of mud and water and alt. don't have a long life living that way.  ;D So that's why the Auto Zone idea.

Also, I like to fab my own stuff when I can and this seems like an easy one.
96 Tracker
32 MTR's Warn 8000i

Offline Samurai_Hamster

• 87 Octane knocker of a motor.
    • Samurai Hamster
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 12:20:13 PM »
I too am seriously considering a more powerful alternator.  Mine can't keep up with my stereo on louder volumes at night with all the lights on.  I also want to get a nice set of fog lights.  I'm going to do some research on the net and at the local parts stores and shops to see what I can come up with.

inflames you're killing me.
The Zuke is on its way out.  Getting a vehicle that will behave and be supported by the dealer.

Offline Alaska101

• The Original !! What started it all.
Alternator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 01:11:39 PM »
This is one of the thing that is on my to do list. I have already killed one batt. with the stock alt. I found this plain om the net can't remember where but who cares!!
Hope this helps!!!

P.s. if you use it tell me how it worked Thanx
1979 Lj81 Truck. Named REP-TAR! (Green thing from the rugrats)
Mod's include:
2001 GV frame w/ 2.0l dohc, and auto trany
Snorkel, 31x10.5 R15 tyres, Soon to be 35's
, also will have a dump box!!

Offline Crow_Horse

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 02:06:52 PM »
There are several kits available for a GM alt upgrade.  Trail Tough, Roadless Gear and Petroworks are amoung a few vendors who carry them....
You can get a bit fancy and get creative with the top bracket, but usually the original one will do........

Here's a pic one of the first brackets I made from a go-Kart tie  rod....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 12:06:26 PM »

inflames you're killing me.

How so?  :)