Hello Guest

Tracker ground clearance sag?

• 31 Replies

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Tracker ground clearance sag?
« on: March 28, 2019, 09:04:37 PM »
Hey all, been checking out this forum for a bit getting info and ideas for our 2003 Chevy Tracker. Thanks for all the great info on here. We use our Tracker here in BC to get up FSRs for hiking,mountaineering and backpacking in the Coast Mountains. Everything stock except a skidplate on front.

My newbie question - it appears that minimum ground clearance is 8 inches, but on our Tracker, we've got only about 7 inches at the rear diff. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I have heard that coils could be sagging to cause the decease in clearance, or perhaps the shocks.

Would love to get that extra inch of clearance back. Also looking at the 2 inch budget suspension lift from AE.

Thanks for any tips/recommendations/insights!

Online fordem

Re: Tracker ground clearance sag?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 05:58:53 AM »
First - where are you getting the 8" clearance specification from?

Second - where are you measuring?  You say "about 7 inches at the rear diff" - if you're measuring the clearance from the diff pumpkin to the ground beneath, that clearance is determined by wheel/tire size and is not affected by suspension modifications.

Third - why do you want to lift?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:31:36 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to respond Fordem. Much appreciated.

1. The  min 8" ground clearance spec was from all the info I can dig up online from a variety of sources for the 2003 Tracker.

2. Measuring from bottom of rear diff to ground. If the 8" min clearance spec is true, wouldn't it be from the lowest point ie. diff? I've only got 7" at this point.

3. After spending 2 years exploring FSR roads and slowly learning basic off-roading skills, I am still banging around/scraping on steeper waterbars, and the more gnarly creekbed roads that are taking us to trailheads. Would like a bit more leeway if possible!

Thanks eh!

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 03:47:56 PM »
One of the problems with "internet based" research is that not all of the information you'll find is accurate - I don't recall ever seeing an official published spec for ground clearance, but having said that, for some reason the figure 7 inches sounds about right to me, 8 inches is more than I expect

Regarding the rear diff to ground clearance, that may not be the lowest point on the vehicle, but, like I said earlier, that is dictated by the wheel/tire size, so you can check the tire placard in the driver's door jamb, and once you're running the OEM size tires at the recommended pressure, whatever you measure is what it is, unless someone has replaced the rear axle with a different, non OEM one, which I think is unlikely - it's not impossible, but, since the front & rear axle ratios have to be matched, it's not a trivial modification.  Switching to a taller tire will increase the clearance here, but be aware that anything larger than about 29" will probably rub on the frame at full lock - my tires are 235/70R16 (a hair less than 29") on OEM alloy rims (I have a 98 Grand Vitara), minimal trimming of the plastic wheel arch liner was required behind the front bumper, and on full lock they will just "polish" the frame toward the back of the wheel arch.  OEM tires, at least for the GV are a 27", so these do give me roughly an inch more under the differential.

Regarding lifts, a two inch lift is about as much as you can (or should) consider - more than that will typically put the front CV axles at risk, unless you drop the front diff to compensate, and can cause camber issues - if you feel the need to go taller, you'll need a lift kit that deals with these issues, and yes, Altered Ego makes one.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:12:22 PM »
Yeah I hear you about the merits of online research  :D Never know what you will find eh...

I was able to locate what looks to be an official release from GM on the 2003 Tracker that states the min 8.0" clearance here:
https://media.gm.com/dam/Media/documents/CA/Archives/EN/Vehicles/chevy_truck/2003Tracker.html

What I am trying to figure out is if I can regain that 1 inch clearance just by replacing springs if they are sagging.

Thanks for the info on the tires you are using Fordem, that's really helpful. We are running 215/75/15, but are looking at 225 or 235s potentially. Thanks again for the help!

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 07:20:07 AM »
That is an interesting document - unfortunately, it does not specify where the ground clearance measurement was made.

As I've mentioned before, the clearance under the diff pumpkin is dictated by wheel/tire size, OEM tire size was 205/75R15 which works out to a 27" and you're running 215/75R15 which is just a smidgen larger, so you'll have something like a quarter inch more clearance under the diff pumpkin, the springs at the rear sit between the axle and the frame, so if they are sagging, the frame & body will be closer to the axle, rather than the axle being closer to the ground.

Regarding tire size, a 225/75R15 calculates out to a little over 28" (28.3) and a 235/75R15 is a hair under 29" (28.9), however, you'll need to look at rim width - your spec sheet shows a 15x5.5 steel rim, or 15x6 alloy rims, both of which are on the narrow side - find a spec sheet for your choice of tire and see what rim width's the tire manufacturer allows before purchasing.

One last thing - oversized tires affect performance, both acceleration (because the increase in diameter impacts the gearing) & braking (because of the increase in rotating weight), I've had no issues in either area, but my car, which is an African market model, (I have a 2.0 engine with 5 speed transmission) is not identical to yours, both the axle ratios and the brakes are different, in the better sense of the word, so your experience may be different.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »
I would get over the 8" or 7" clearance you may or may not have. Work on increasing the clearance and not get caught up on the actual number.
I have a 2002 Tracker 4 dr 2.0 5 spd. I started with 215/70-15 tires. I pondered my ups size with tires (look at the 'New here scored a tracker' and the '215/75-15 vs 225/75-15 tires') on two different threads. I went with the 225/75-15 tires - they fit with stock height and I lose minimal power. I then added a 2" spring spacer lift. (and yes I have a positive camber issue - hoping my springs settle). The 225's look right in the fenderwells.
Activity is small on this site, so... give my threads a look over - I hope they help. My usage will be much as yours, plus our Tracker will get towed by a RV.

'02 Chevy Tracker 2.0 4wd 4dr

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 08:10:14 AM »
- find a spec sheet for your choice of tire and see what rim width's the tire manufacturer allows before purchasing.
Awesome Fordem, this is something I had no clue about, and it has steered me in the right direction. Funnily enough, I would like to get 225/75/15s on there, but it doesn't seem the BFG T/A K02 or Grabber make them in that size - I am looking for some all terrain tires. Currently have the old version of K02s and they rock!  All of the rest of this info if super helpful too, especially the info on the springs technical set up.

Ditto OldBlue, thanks for the tips as well! I will check out the threads you mentioned; it is good to hear that 225s fit stock. Which lift kit did you go for? What type of 4x4 roads are you accessing?

Thanks guys, you rawk!

Online fordem

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 05:48:56 PM »
(and yes I have a positive camber issue - hoping my springs settle).

If you haven't fitted camber bolts yet, I suggest you get a pair, if you have one pair and you still have positive camber, try a second pair in the bottom holes - you say you have a spring spacer lift, which would translate into original springs with spacers - the springs aren't going to settle any more than they have in the last sixteen years.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 05:12:26 PM »
If you haven't fitted camber bolts yet, I suggest you get a pair, if you have one pair and you still have positive camber, try a second pair in the bottom holes - you say you have a spring spacer lift, which would translate into original springs with spacers - the springs aren't going to settle any more than they have in the last sixteen years.

I have the first set of camber bolts and also second set of camber bolts in the bottom holes - it gained me a little but not enough.
The stock springs will settle into the spacers & seats if they are not seated on the money.

I measured my rear diff clearance on smooth concrete with my 225/75-15 |removethispart|@ 28 psi tires - 8 1/4". Diff clearance is based off of tire size.

My kit is LowRange Offroad and my usage will be fire roads, or roads that go to lookouts. Maybe a beach or two. Possible washed out desert roads too. Or any other undulation.
Lifting a tire is not in my plans!

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 06:26:40 PM »
My kit is LowRange Offroad and my usage will be fire roads, or roads that go to lookouts. Maybe a beach or two. Possible washed out desert roads too. Or any other undulation.
Lifting a tire is not in my plans!

Rad - I checked out pics of your Tracker and the related posts -helpful indeed! Did you go for this Low Range lift: http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/basic-and-complete-2-inch-spacer-budget-lift-kits.html

Do you find that the quality of the ride is noticeably more jarring than pre-lift? How about the stability? At Fordem's recommendation, I think a 2" is all I will do as well. Looking at the 2" altered ego one here: http://www.alteredegomotorsports.com/tracker-suspension.html

As a newbie, I am totally in the dark about the different type of lifts + effects of installation on ride quality. Most of the time we are bombing up Hwy 99 to FSRs, so 90% is hwy, the other 10% is offroad.

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 11:30:28 PM »
Coast I used this kit, slightly different from the kit you linked.
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-off-road-parts/tracker-vitara-gv-xl7/suspension/basic-and-complete-2-inch-spacer-budget-lift-kits.html

I did rear shocks and beefy front Doetsch Tech struts up front. The ride is very deluxe actually, especially with the stock springs. Fresh shocks/struts control the car very well vs worn out stock shocks/struts. Better than stock in my case.

The stability is good, no worse than stock. It seems the hard part is getting the camber close to back to stock.

Alter Ego looks good although I have no experience with it. Their bigger lifts look awesome and complete.
They never answered an email when I tried to contact them for a roof rack... So it goes.
I went LowRange as they had the most complete kit vs mixing parts from here & there.

Speaking of tires... Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT look like good tires in 225/75-15. They are light too - lighter than K02's or Grabbers (even as 215/75-15).
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/225-75R15.htm

Online fordem

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 04:28:22 AM »
I have the first set of camber bolts and also second set of camber bolts in the bottom holes - it gained me a little but not enough.
The stock springs will settle into the spacers & seats if they are not seated on the money.

Don't hold your breath - the springs will "reseat" but they are not going to settle any more than they already have, the spacers will compress because they are polyurethane, but, the Low Range spacers are not known for significant compression settling (they are, or used to be made, by one of the forum members) - I would suggest verifying that the springs are correctly seated on the control arm, and perhaps a different brand of camber bolt - some brand offer more correction than others.

Incorrect camber & toe can cause excessive tire wear - you would not believe how rapidly you can destroy a pair of tires.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 11:22:02 AM »
Don't hold your breath - the springs will "reseat" but they are not going to settle any more than they already have, the spacers will compress because they are polyurethane, but, the Low Range spacers are not known for significant compression settling (they are, or used to be made, by one of the forum members) - I would suggest verifying that the springs are correctly seated on the control arm, and perhaps a different brand of camber bolt - some brand offer more correction than others.

Incorrect camber & toe can cause excessive tire wear - you would not believe how rapidly you can destroy a pair of tires.

Ok.
I am not in control of the camber bolt brands. Low Range supplies what they supply (I tossed the box they came in). My alignment shop supplied the ones that they did.
I will give a little research to that. Never occurred to me one camber bolt would have more adjust than another.

Online fordem

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 03:17:20 PM »
I think what Low Range supplies are the Specialty Products 81250, which are good for 1.75 degrees of correction, Ingalls 81250 will give you 2.0 degrees, you might have difficulty finding the Ingalls, as they were acquired by Dorman a few years back.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny