Hello Guest

1995 Sidekick Daily Driver/Weekend Family Fun Rig

• 48 Replies

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: 1995 Sidekick Daily Driver/Weekend Family Fun Rig
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2021, 10:44:14 AM »
So an update on the "Daily Driver" front and the Suzuki.
We had no issues pulling it home from New Mexico, and I have continued driving it almost daily.  Over the weekend my wife drove it 400 miles to meet us at a family reunion in Kansas.  Nary a hiccup, just lack of functional air conditioning!  We put the tow bar on it and drug it home behind our fifth wheel.  It is doing quite well fulfilling both of its functions!
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2023, 06:20:39 PM »
It has been awhile since posting last...been continuing flogging on the ole Zuk.  It is still my daily driver.  I have recently decided I need get after some maintenance.  I have ordered ball joints and tie rods to rebuild the front end.  I put GM W-body struts on the front awhile back, and have never got the cambe r set where I want it, so I need to address that.  I also want to widen the front end so I can do the left axle swap on the right side.  I have looked into the Hagen mod, but I would also like to move the front tires forward more.  I have a parts rig that I pulled the front control arms off of.  I am modifiying them to move the ball joint out and forward.  I don't have a scientific method for how I chose the placement, just convenience.  Here are pics...

1995 Sidekick JLX
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2023, 06:32:35 PM »
Having troubles posting pics...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:34:47 PM by JollyZuk »
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2023, 06:59:07 PM »
So, the pics I think are explanatory.  I am adding onto the end of the control arm to set the ball joint out and forward.  I have got the top and bottom plates welded on.  I need to finish boxing the addition.  I think I am also going to weld a brace across the top and bottom plates.  I am also planning to modify the spring pockets in the control arms BRD_HNTR style.  I guess the good new is if this doesn't work out, I still have my original, unmodified controls arms I can go back with.  Also, as part of my modifications, I am trying to see about using XL7 front brakes on the front.  I have an XL7 parts rig, so I pulled the front hubs and spindles off of it to try and see what can be adapted.  The XL7 spindle would mount on a Sidekick.  The ball joint taper is the same, the bolt pattern for the strut mount is the same, and the tie rod taper works out.  The problem is the tie rod mount is about 2" lower on the XL7 spindle.  This would make an even steeper angle between the drag link and outer tie rod.  I don't know what kind of effect that would have on the handling of the rig.  I have some more disassembly to do to check compatibility, but I think I can mount the XL7 caliper and use a Sidekick Sport rotor.  The main difference between the XL7 rotor and Sport rotor is the offset from the wheel mounting surface to the to the front friction surface of the rotor.  But more on that later..
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!