Hello Guest

Sidekick Sport build 2

• 141 Replies

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Sidekick Sport build 2
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2021, 08:40:32 PM »
That is awesome to hear!  We are hoping to hit some trails around Red River, NM tomorrow.  I think my biggest issue right now is tire size and overall ground clearance.  But a locker would also be a nice addition! 
Did you go with the ARB or the knockoff?
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2021, 08:45:06 PM »
I am using the Chinese (ARB clone) lockers. The instructions that came with the lockers are copies of the ARB instructions. I bought them while working in China a couple of years ago. I had the lockers delivered to my hotel and took them home as checked bags. Each locker came with a full installation kit and an air compressor. I have two compressors, but only one hooked up so far. I wanted to go wheeling, instead of wrenching this time. So far, everything looks good. ARB parts are direct replacements. I am using the ARB air cylinders and bulk head connectors. All of the spares I've purchased are ARB parts.

When I get the Sidekick back to Texas, I will mount both air compressors in the rear sides panels. I have also started collecting the parts to convert the plastic hose to AN braided brake lines. When I stripped the wrecked Sport, I kept the hard lines that run on the inside of the passenger side frame rail, (fuel and brake lines). I will use one of those hard lines to move the air from the rear mounted compressors to the front locker and front air hose disconnect. I want an air hose disconnect on each side of the vehicle.

That is awesome to hear!  We are hoping to hit some trails around Red River, NM tomorrow.  I think my biggest issue right now is tire size and overall ground clearance.  But a locker would also be a nice addition! 
Did you go with the ARB or the knockoff?

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2021, 07:17:18 AM »
That is pretty cool.  I need to look into those.  It makes the air locker a lot more reasonably priced.
1995 Sidekick JLX
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2021, 04:05:39 PM »
That is pretty cool.  I need to look into those.  It makes the air locker a lot more reasonably priced.

Arb outsources alot from Thailand and a Chinese manufacturer was contracted to make these for arb. Then the Chinese manufacturer just started to sell them for a profit. Few guys online have side by side comparisons. The only thing is arb has a 2nd quality control so always look them over

Same Chinese manufacturer makes electronic lockers for these suzukis too.

« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2021, 04:50:22 PM »
I have only used them a few times. The finish machine quality was not as nice as the ARB lockers. The total price for both lockers, each with an air compressor and all the installation parts, was about $900. That was a few years ago, so it may be higher. The sales guy even followed to see how things went. It will be at least $150 shipping to the US, if I remember correctly.

PM if you want his contact information. You will need to download WeChat to talk with him. Some people are hesitant to use WeChat, due to the Chinese government being Chinese the government. I had to use the app in order to get anything done over there. It's the best way to communicate with locals. It's more prevalent there than Whatsapp has been in Europe.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2021, 08:02:20 PM »
That is good info to have.  I would be equally interested in an electric locker option, but since an onboard air source is on the to do list, an air locker makes some sense.
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2021, 09:11:11 PM »
I saw somewhere that the same companies are making electric lockers for the Sidekick/Vitara.

That is good info to have.  I would be equally interested in an electric locker option, but since an onboard air source is on the to do list, an air locker makes some sense.

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2021, 09:01:54 AM »
I saw somewhere that the same companies are making electric lockers for the Sidekick/Vitara.

https://youtu.be/sdm7Ymsbq4o

« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2021, 06:47:59 PM »
We had a day to get away from the project in Salt Lake, so I went wheeling in a place called Little Moab. It's an hour south of Salt Lake City. I met some Jeepers and followed them to an abandoned railroad tunnel near Little Moab.

There were a couple obstacles that would have been impossible before the new bumpers and the rear locker. The bulkhead fitting for the front locker arrived today, so I didn't install it yet.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2021, 07:29:15 AM »
That is awesome!  It is good to have a quick and easy escape once in a while!
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2021, 12:16:51 PM »
One of the Jeep drivers that I met, has a huge list of off road routes to take. There were several Jeep Renegades out there, so my little Sidekick fit in well. I'm looking forward to meeting up with them again in the near future. My rig is far more capable than theirs, but the trips and the campfire talk are good to have.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2021, 08:01:33 PM »
Very cool!  It was fun when we were out in New Mexico hitting the trails, no other Suzuki's seen.  I have some friend's headed to Red River in their JK Jeeps...I think 35 and 37" tires, and they are concerned about not being able to handle the trails I had run... with my 28" tires.
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2021, 06:13:24 PM »
The night before I left Salt Lake City, I had my Sidekick at the hotel. The cat was cut out of it and I didn't k ow until it was time to drop it off and head to the airport. I dropped it at a shop to have it done while I was gone.

The shop called this morning to tell me more bad news. The thieves cut off the header collector, instead of cutting it on the back side of the flange. This is the 2.3 liter, so my header is only available from Australia. We have ordered a weld in replacement flange to fix the header. We also ordered a 1320 cat with O2 bungs, tubing, and flanges. The front O2 sensor is in the header and the rear O2 was left alone.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2021, 08:19:17 PM »
Well isn't that just a peach!  I guess I need to cut the cat off of mine before the thieves beat me to it!
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2021, 12:12:03 PM »
Anyone running front limit straps to help preserve their cv axles? I tore one on the last trip.